ADVERTISEMENT

After 25 years Netflix is ending it's at home DVD delivery service.

This blows. I probably consume more content via DVDs from Netflix. They have a tremendous library of old movies, many of which you won't find on a streaming service. And, they seem to be losing more and more content as other producers create their own direct to consumer services.
https://apnews.com/article/netflix-...opes-closing-ab088c5816570b8fa3a1d727f9ba1908
I’ve been a Netflix member since late spring of 1999 when a cousin got my wife and I a DVD player as a wedding present. I loved those red envelopes. We had the 4-at-a-time for probably a decade. For a brief time, we did both the DVDs and streaming, but when they split the services, we went straight streaming.

I remember when Blockbuster had the chance to buy them cheap and decided it was a long-term loser. Those without vision die.

If I have DVD in my DVD Player (or BlueRay) I have no idea what it would be, but I can guarantee you it’s been there for damn near a decade. If I were to bet, I’d say it would be something like the original Frozen.

Ive got a few friends that still rely on the mail service to bring them their blu-rays.

Middle aged folks, I think it reminds them of the past. Definitely not tech-savvy people, probably with mediocre or poor wifi setups

It was always interesting to me that people ordered DVDs from a service called Netflix. I remember telling people maybe 15 years ago that I had Netflix and had never ordered DVDs and they looked at me like I was crazy. I had a friend who would max out his DVD mailings and would rip the videos to his media center PC to try and build this big on-demand video library. I kept telling him that's what streaming was for.

Hmm that's one of those things that you assume ended long ago but I guess not.

Apparently ICQ is still still kicking.

Ive got a few friends that still rely on the mail service to bring them their blu-rays.

Middle aged folks, I think it reminds them of the past. Definitely not tech-savvy people, probably with mediocre or poor wifi setups
Or they may live out in rural areas where high speeds simply aren’t available. Satellite internet sucks and is crazy expensive.

Or they may live out in rural areas where high speeds simply aren’t available. Satellite internet sucks and is crazy expensive.
Or, just enjoy the magnificence of Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers, Gene Kelly, a salty 30s and 40s noir movie...
I really hope some service either buys up the content, and recreates a service, or someone starts putting more older content on line.

Reactions: hawkifann
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT