ADVERTISEMENT

After this season, it’s our Silver Anniversary: 25 years without sniffing the Sweet 16!! Here’s the list of those who have.

curtisj157

HR All-State
Aug 26, 2021
And the beat goes on. Here’s the running list of teams that have made the Sweet 16 since we were there:

Wisconsin
LSU
Purdue
Gonzaga
Michigan St
Syracuse
UCLA
Iowa St
Duke
Florida
Oklahoma
Seton Hall
North Carolina
Tennessee
Miami (FL)
Tulsa
Illinois
Kansas
Mississippi
Arizona
Temple
Penn St
Southern California
Kentucky
Stanford
Cincinnati
Maryland
Georgetown
Indiana
Pittsburgh
Kent St.
Missouri
Southern Illinois
Connecticut
Texas
Oregon
Marquette
Notre Dame
Butler
Auburn
UAB
Georgia Tech
Nevada
Saint Joseph's
Wake Forest
Oklahoma St.
Xavier
Alabama
Vanderbilt
Milwaukee
Washington
Louisville
Texas Tech
West Virginia
Villanova
North Carolina St
Utah
Bradley
Memphis
George Mason
Wichita St
Boston College
UNLV
Ohio St.
Texas A&M
Washington St.
Davidson
Western Kentucky
Northern Iowa
Kansas St.
Cornell
Baylor
St. Mary's (CA)
San Diego St
VCU
Richmond
Florida St.
BYU
Ohio
La Salle
Michigan
Florida Gulf Coast
Dayton
Virginia
South Carolina
Clemson
Loyola Chicago
Houston
Virginia Tech
Arkansas
Oral Roberts
Oregon St.
Creighton
Providence
St. Peter's
Princeton
Florida Atlantic

But..... Lickliter!

Yeah, hell the last time Iowa made a sweet 16 the last lame dunk coach they ran out of town was still here…LOL

Eerie similarities…I did not even remember that. But yeah, here we are…

You know, this coach, Dr Tom, can’t win enough, he’s got to go…

25 years later…..Fran you can’t win enough you’ve got to go…

I wonder how will trade out of this one. Hopefully, without the 25 years in between…

And the beat goes on. Here’s the running list of teams that have made the Sweet 16 since we were there:

Wisconsin
LSU
Purdue
Gonzaga
Michigan St
Syracuse
UCLA
Iowa St
Duke
Florida
Oklahoma
Seton Hall
North Carolina
Tennessee
Miami (FL)
Tulsa
Illinois
Kansas
Mississippi
Arizona
Temple
Penn St
Southern California
Kentucky
Stanford
Cincinnati
Maryland
Georgetown
Indiana
Pittsburgh
Kent St.
Missouri
Southern Illinois
Connecticut
Texas
Oregon
Marquette
Notre Dame
Butler
Auburn
UAB
Georgia Tech
Nevada
Saint Joseph's
Wake Forest
Oklahoma St.
Xavier
Alabama
Vanderbilt
Milwaukee
Washington
Louisville
Texas Tech
West Virginia
Villanova
North Carolina St
Utah
Bradley
Memphis
George Mason
Wichita St
Boston College
UNLV
Ohio St.
Texas A&M
Washington St.
Davidson
Western Kentucky
Northern Iowa
Kansas St.
Cornell
Baylor
St. Mary's (CA)
San Diego St
VCU
Richmond
Florida St.
BYU
Ohio
La Salle
Michigan
Florida Gulf Coast
Dayton
Virginia
South Carolina
Clemson
Loyola Chicago
Houston
Virginia Tech
Arkansas
Oral Roberts
Oregon St.
Creighton
Providence
St. Peter's
Princeton
Florida Atlantic
Damn Curticj157, you forgot to add to your list Nebraska, Minnesota, Northwestern, Rutgers, Maryland, Oregon, and USC. You're slipping......

Florida
Oklahoma
Seton Hall
North Carolina
Tennessee
Miami (FL)
Tulsa
Illinois
Kansas
Mississippi
Arizona
Temple
Penn St
Southern California
Kentucky
Stanford
Butler
Auburn
UAB
Georgia Tech
Nevada
Saint Joseph's
Wake Forest
Oklahoma St.
Xavier
Alabama
Vanderbilt
Milwaukee
Washington
Louisville
Texas Tech
West Virginia
Villanova
North Carolina St
Utah
Bradley
Memphis
George Mason
Wichita St
Boston College
UNLV
Ohio St.
Texas A&M
Washington St.
Davidson
Western Kentucky
Northern Iowa
Kansas St.
Cornell
Baylor
St. Mary's (CA)
San Diego St
VCU
Richmond
Florida St.
BYU
Ohio
La Salle
Michigan
Florida Gulf Coast
Dayton
Virginia
South Carolina
Clemson
Loyola Chicago
Houston
Virginia Tech
Arkansas
Oral Roberts
Oregon St.
Creighton
Providence
St. Peter's
Princeton
Florida Atlantic

Not sure how old you are and how long you have been following hawk men's bball but I was just learning about them in the late 1950's and they had very good teams thru 1970, Lute had a very good run, Raveling ok, Dr Tom a lot of success.

But not much success since then. I used to think we were almost on the brink of being a blue blood, a perennial top 20 team or better. I have hardly watched the men this year.

Of the 80 programs in a power conference this season (include Big East for basketball), 69 have made it to the Sweet 16 in the 21st century. Iowa is one of only 11 programs not to at least make it to the second week of the NCAA tournament.

Certainly not a surprise that Iowa media members and Fran’s most ardent supporters on this site have changed the definition of program success to being in the top half of the conference standings during the regular season most years (but never winning a regular season title).

Of the 80 programs in a power conference this season (include Big East for basketball), 69 have made it to the Sweet 16 in the 21st century. Iowa is one of only 11 programs not to at least make it to the second week of the NCAA tournament.

Certainly not a surprise that Iowa media members and Fran’s most ardent supporters on this site have changed the definition of program success to being in the top half of the conference standings during the regular season most years (but never winning a regular season title).
It’s definitely time for a program refresh, I am hopeful that Beth will bring a fresh new set of eyes..…👀 I ate at a Wendy’s recently and you could tell it had not been updated since the early 90’s which mirrors our men’s basketball program. I get jealous when I see the student energy/ atmosphere over in Champaign…😐

Lisa Bluder has been with us a long time and went a very long time with no Sweet 16s. Then she got 1, then she got 2, then Caitlin Clark. No we may be becoming that blue blood over the next few years, time will tell. I don't see that with the men or remotely close.

I think we will be pretty good going forward but doesn’t a program have to win multiple national titles to be considered a blue blood? I would consider Iowa, Okie State and now Penn State as the blue bloods of college wrestling.

Duke, UNC, Kentucky, UCLA and Kansas in MBB.

Who do you think fits in that category for WBB? UConn, Tennessee, Stanford, LA Tech at one time.

Last edited:
It’s definitely time for a program refresh, I am hopeful that Beth will bring a fresh new set of eyes..…👀 I ate at a Wendy’s recently and you could tell it had not been updated since the early 90’s which mirrors our men’s basketball program. I get jealous when I see the student energy/ atmosphere over in Champaign…😐
Going back to the 90s..good times. The world was a better place.

Lisa Bluder has been with us a long time and went a very long time with no Sweet 16s. Then she got 1, then she got 2, then Caitlin Clark. No we may be becoming that blue blood over the next few years, time will tell. I don't see that with the men or remotely close.
Landing a top 10 player in the nation helps, but that will never happen for the men’s team. In fact, if an Iowa kid is a top 10 player in the nation, history would suggest he would not go to Iowa. Our recruiting by and large sucks ass and has sucked ass for over 30 years.

The difference is she capitalized on having a great player.

Fran had two and didn't.

That's the biggest reason why so many people have checked out on Fran.

If you can't do it with Luka, Weiskamp, Keegan and Kris then what are we looking forward too?

The difference is she capitalized on having a great player.

Fran had two and didn't.

That's the biggest reason why so many people have checked out on Fran.

If you can't do it with Luka, Weiskamp, Keegan and Kris then what are we looking forward too?
I think this is spot on.

I would add the nepotism has also rubbed fans the wrong way. I know CMac added value to the team, but him playing over Keegan Murray was ridiculous. Patrick has also been unquestionably favored.

Combine that with Brian Ferentz and the unrest is easy to understand. Many fans are tired of the nepotism because of how blatant and obviously detrimental it has been to both football and basketball. Neither Fran nor Kirk has so much as batted an eye because of how clearly comfortable and entitled they are. Gary Barta’s dumbass is to blame for that.

Landing a top 10 player in the nation helps, but that will never happen for the men’s team. In fact, if an Iowa kid is a top 10 player in the nation, history would suggest he would not go to Iowa. Our recruiting by and large sucks ass and has sucked ass for over 30 years.
Underwhelming, yes.

"Sucks ass" is a little strong unless you want to credit Fran for his success with ass-sucking recruits...............

Again, you guys tell me all the teams in this conference that we just cannot compete with in recruiting and I'll share our records against them, and why we're actually losing..........IF we're losing to them.

And Cornell. Let THAT sink in.

Wisconsin
LSU
Purdue
Gonzaga
Michigan St
Syracuse
UCLA
Iowa St
Duke
Florida
Oklahoma
Seton Hall
North Carolina
Tennessee
Miami (FL)
Tulsa
Illinois
Kansas
Mississippi
Arizona
Temple
Penn St
Southern California
Kentucky
Stanford
Cincinnati
Maryland
Georgetown
Indiana
Pittsburgh
Kent St.
Missouri
Southern Illinois
Connecticut
Texas
Oregon
Marquette
Notre Dame
Butler
Auburn
UAB
Georgia Tech
Nevada
Saint Joseph's
Wake Forest
Oklahoma St.
Xavier
Alabama
Vanderbilt
Milwaukee
Washington
Louisville
Texas Tech
West Virginia
Villanova
North Carolina St
Utah
Bradley
Memphis
George Mason
Wichita St
Boston College
UNLV
Ohio St.
Texas A&M
Washington St.
Davidson
Western Kentucky
Northern Iowa
Kansas St.
Cornell
Baylor
St. Mary's (CA)
San Diego St
VCU
Richmond
Florida St.
BYU
Ohio
La Salle
Michigan
Florida Gulf Coast
Dayton
Virginia
South Carolina
Clemson
Loyola Chicago
Houston
Virginia Tech
Arkansas
Oral Roberts
Oregon St.
Creighton
Providence
St. Peter's
Princeton
Florida Atlantic
No new ones to add this year. The list remains at 99 teams have been to the Sweet 16 since our low-grade MAC program has been there.

That list proves that it's pretty hard for a program in a major conference to not accidentally make the Sweet 16 at least once every 25 years. Iowa basketball has reached historic futility. But, hey, I just say we keep doin' what we're doin'. That stability is very important. Think of all those other programs out there who would have loved to be in the NIT.

Kinda reminds me of when Iowa football failed to convert something like 13 consecutive 2-point conversions during the Stanley years. That level of fail was practically mathematically impossible.

Reactions: HawkLogic
That list proves that it's pretty hard for a program in a major conference to not accidentally make the Sweet 16 at least once every 25 years. Iowa basketball has reached historic futility. But, hey, I just say we keep doin' what we're doin'. That stability is very important. Think of all those other programs out there who would have loved to be in the NIT.

Kinda reminds me of when Iowa football failed to convert something like 13 consecutive 2-point conversions during the Stanley years. That level of fail was practically mathematically impossible.

Yeah, winning 2 games in a row in a Tournament shouldn't be that hard. If you won 50% of your games, it would happen once every 4 years. Fran is more like 33% winning percentage in NCAA tourney., so it should be around 1 every 9 tries for him. Instead he's 0 for his career.

My real issue with Fran the type of roster he builds and his system is about the exact opposite of what teams that win 2 or more games in NCAA look like. I think his approach is flawed and he's not the type of guy to look in mirror and strive for self improvement.

Fran almost accidently made the Sweet16 in that game vs Tennessee awhile back. Sure we were on verge of another blowout loss down 19 pts or so in 1st half, but came back and lost in OT. Then the off season came and of course Moss was off for Kansas.

College basketball is a now a professional sport. Hopefully Beth gets that and hopefully she's a lot smarter than Barta in how she handles contract extensions. Lets see if we get any bombshell losses to the Portal to numb us.
I don't think the returning talent is enough for a sweet16 run next year---even if we keep everybody.

30 years ago, the regular season mattered. How you finished in conference mattered. Conference titles mattered. In this day and age, it's about the Tournament. That doesn't mean it's good or bad.....it's just how it is. If you want your fans engaged, if you want your alumni engaged, if you want donations/NIL to happen......everything you do has to be set up for tournament success. I don't care how/where we finish in the conference these days (other than how it affects us getting to/advancing in the Tournament), I just care about mattering in March (and so do most people). If we could make a Sweet 16 every 5 years or so, that would go a helluva lot further than finishing in the top half of the conference every year. That's just how it is. Fran can keep leaning on that "body of work" all he wants.....right up to there only being 5,000 fans per night because everyone is tired of the same old thing every year.

As AD, Beth has to understand this and be prepared to cut a coach loose that, while his overall record might be positive, his results in March don't warrant continuing to keep him around.

Reactions: Macbride79
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT