ADVERTISEMENT

Ah...Cook..."Cook-in"

hawk_it

HR All-State
Jul 22, 2004
I thought I would watch this 07/16/17 PTL video of Tyler Cook with a different set of eyes. My goal was to get a fresh look at how he has improved. To my amazement I feel like I am watching an NBA player. I realize it is PTL (defense optional) and not the B10, but I also realize the work he has done. In order to to get those fresh set of eyes, I pretended that Iowa was the blue team and I watched how the blue team defended the red teams best player. I was not disappointed.

sjfa8o1zynx5x74ffy1n

I know last year it was said that Iowa has not had a player like this before and we saw glimpses. I think this year ...That's what I'm talking about.

Cook only Highlights:
http://www.thegazette.com/subject/s...-out-prime-time-league-with-emphasis-20170716

PTL Highlights with Cook @ 2:20 mark

P.S. Under construction and just scratching the surface.

Reactions: BlackNGoldBleeder
Love that his range has increased, he still has that 10% speed jog though from last year :mad:

If only he could add some hustle to his game :(

Cook threw some dimes in that video. Along with improved handles and obviously improved composure off the dribble (at this time last year, TC was traveling half the time he touched the ball on the perimeter)

I thought I would watch this 07/16/17 PTL video of Tyler Cook with a different set of eyes. My goal was to get a fresh look at how he has improved. To my amazement I feel like I am watching an NBA player. I realize it is PTL (defense optional) and not the B10, but I also realize the work he has done. In order to to get those fresh set of eyes, I pretended that Iowa was the blue team and I watched how the blue team defended the red teams best player. I was not disappointed.

sjfa8o1zynx5x74ffy1n

I know last year it was said that Iowa has not had a player like this before and we saw glimpses. I think this year ...That's what I'm talking about.

Cook only Highlights:
http://www.thegazette.com/subject/s...-out-prime-time-league-with-emphasis-20170716

PTL Highlights with Cook @ 2:20 mark

P.S. Under construction and just scratching the surface.
I like how you can overhear them talking and they're bashing brommelkamp and Young at about the 615 mark

I'm more excited to see him take a step forward in rebounding and shot-blocking over mid-range jump shots. If he's skying all over the place blocking shots, rebounding, dunking, he's going to make major noise on a national level.

Reactions: Tunadog
I watched him get owned the first two minutes of the video, literally just standing there on defense with 0 effort.

How do you step into any game and play that way, whether, pickup, organized, league, prime time league or BIG, etc.

It's like no one cares in this league? Part of me is like what is the point?

oh boy:rolleyes:...anyone that was there will tell you Cook was a beast...and oh by the way he played the entire 40 minutes...not two,

oh boy:rolleyes:...anyone that was there will tell you Cook was a beast...and oh by the way he played the entire 40 minutes...not two,

Sorry, just an observation I made watching the first 3 minutes of the video and paying attention to just him on the floor.

I reread my post and it sounds like I'm saying he's lazy, and that wasn't my intent, my last sentence was my point. It's like they tell them at the beginning of the season the league is offensive oriented, so no need to play defense. Which makes me take anybody's tape from PTL with a huge grain of salt.

Sorry, just an observation I made watching the first 3 minutes of the video and paying attention to just him on the floor.

I reread my post and it sounds like I'm saying he's lazy, and that wasn't my intent, my last sentence was my point. It's like they tell them at the beginning of the season the league is offensive oriented, so no need to play defense. Which makes me take anybody's tape from PTL with a huge grain of salt.

..keep in mind that most of these guys have never played together and they certainly dont practice together..there are zero defensive schemes...there are a number of former college players who may not be in the best of shape.

when it comes to Iowa players..the last thing we need is someone taking a charge & getting hurt...

Cook's team actually started out with a token 3/4 press..albeit somewhat soft.

some of the teams have played with only 5 guys (JBo & Kriener did)...well the coach was the 6th man ..JBo played the entire 40 min as did Cook in his game yesterday, and the red team had 7-8 guys...Cook just never took himself out.

to say there is no man man defense being played is not accurate but there are limitations as I mentioned.

I watched him get owned the first two minutes of the video, literally just standing there on defense with 0 effort.

How do you step into any game and play that way, whether, pickup, organized, league, prime time league or BIG, etc.

It's like no one cares in this league? Part of me is like what is the point?

Sooooo if we are gonna call out Cook, let's make it team effort and say Nunge was also lackluster at BEST on D. a lot of Matador D that made Tyler look like he was A'mare Stoudemire out there in his prime.. Safe to say I think they all went just a tad under 100 on D

Reactions: RocknRollface
Its summer ball. They're working on their offense. When practice starts I'm guessing they'll be focused intently on defense, with the Big McC to tell them how in his loving style.

Sooooo if we are gonna call out Cook, let's make it team effort and say Nunge was also lackluster at BEST on D. a lot of Matador D that made Tyler look like he was A'mare Stoudemire out there in his prime.. Safe to say I think they all went just a tad under 100 on D

Sorry, see my follow-up post. I agree with you. That's why you take offensive highlights in the PTL with a huge grain of salt.

Sorry, see my follow-up post. I agree with you. That's why you take offensive highlights in the PTL with a huge grain of salt.

college recruiters (staff assistant coaches as well as Head Coaches) could also take offensive highlights in any form which includes open gym evaulations & AAU tournaments with a huge grain of salt as well. The fact is they don't and are looking for individual abilities.

If I was Fran I would drop playing in the PTL...just from an injury risk factor. Plus the fact that schools are allowed to hold practice sessions in the summer & prior to the start of fall pre-season practice. The PTL is great for fans and that is why Fran supports it ... but there is a risk factor. Thats why when an Iowa player is on a breakaway fast break in a PTL game...my comment is "just dont get hurt".

I'm not an expert ''dont pretend to be otherwise..but after closely following & watching Iowa BB (and college BB) for well over 50 years..I do feel I'm able to determine player ability...which includes what I see in watching PTL games.

Reactions: DanL53
Its summer ball. They're working on their offense. When practice starts I'm guessing they'll be focused intently on defense, with the Big McC to tell them how in his loving style.

I agree & I suspect we will see a better defending team next season. This is not a put down to PTL coaches...but ya not a whole lot of time spent on D in PTL games....well heck why would they? This isnt the setting for working on trapping, zones, etc. I would suspect most of the D1 players will wait for their instruction.

college recruiters (staff assistant coaches as well as Head Coaches) could also take offensive highlights in any form which includes open gym evaulations & AAU tournaments with a huge grain of salt as well. The fact is they don't and are looking for individual abilities.

If I was Fran I would drop playing in the PTL...just from an injury risk factor. Plus the fact that schools are allowed to hold practice sessions in the summer & prior to the start of fall pre-season practice. The PTL is great for fans and that is why Fran supports it ... but there is a risk factor. Thats why when an Iowa player is on a breakaway fast break in a PTL game...my comment is "just dont get hurt".

I'm not an expert ''dont pretend to be otherwise..but after closely following & watching Iowa BB (and college BB) for well over 50 years..I do feel I'm able to determine player ability...which includes what I see in watching PTL games.
They're going to play some basketball in the summer whether it's PTL or not so injury risk is always there. Why not let them play, have fun and hang out as a team before, during and after PTL. In addition, aren't they practicing, too, since they have an overseas trip?

They're going to play some basketball in the summer whether it's PTL or not so injury risk is always there. Why not let them play, have fun and hang out as a team before, during and after PTL. In addition, aren't they practicing, too, since they have an overseas trip?

They 'hang' out together all the time...PTL or no PTL wouldn't change that.

I'm convinced there are times some would prefer having fun on a sunday afternoon..elsewhere...other than the NLIb Rec Center. Fran fully understands the 'fun' fans get in getting a sneak preview..especially with incoming freshman. And the players do a great job showing up.

Agree about the injury ...PTL adds to the possibility. My paranoia sets in when an Iowa player has a break away and someone decides to try stop the drive or block. I've seen alot of PTL games over the years and appreciate the unwritten rule to let "him go" and the majority of players comply with it. Some fans consider that poor defense...I like it.

I wouldn't necessarily say the days of the PTL are numbered:

http://s3.amazonaws.com/ncaa/files/bbcert/2016_Summer_Leagues_M.pdf

By my count that's 64 leagues around the country. In 2016. I wonder if there might be more that just aren't listed. But I'll say, looking around at some of their websites..there are some seriously talent stocked summer leagues going on.

But I do agree with Bob that risk of injury is a factor to consider. The day a Hawkeye goes down with a significant injury could be the day the PTL faces some serious reconsideration. Not every PTL player is under control.

And with all the assets now available to work on their games in the summer, I can only see two advantages to the players:

1) Different guys to play with and against.
2) A setting where fans participate and that's kinda fun for everybody.

Safety is on the league. And this last time I watched games I was unhappy that wet spots weren't getting toweled. I'm concerned that some coaches, including Larson, are so concerned with trying to actually "coach". And I've seen Iowa guys in the past take some hard hits.

Let the league be about fun, working on individual skills, and keep it as safe as possible. Again, that's on the league.

I wouldn't necessarily say the days of the PTL are numbered:

http://s3.amazonaws.com/ncaa/files/bbcert/2016_Summer_Leagues_M.pdf

By my count that's 64 leagues around the country. In 2016. I wonder if there might be more that just aren't listed. But I'll say, looking around at some of their websites..there are some seriously talent stocked summer leagues going on.

But I do agree with Bob that risk of injury is a factor to consider. The day a Hawkeye goes down with a significant injury could be the day the PTL faces some serious reconsideration. Not every PTL player is under control.

And with all the assets now available to work on their games in the summer, I can only see two advantages to the players:

1) Different guys to play with and against.
2) A setting where fans participate and that's kinda fun for everybody.

Safety is on the league. And this last time I watched games I was unhappy that wet spots weren't getting toweled. I'm concerned that some coaches, including Larson, are so concerned with trying to actually "coach". And I've seen Iowa guys in the past take some hard hits.

Let the league be about fun, working on individual skills, and keep it as safe as possible. Again, that's on the league.

as a fan I would be really disappointed to not see the PTL games...so not proposing it be ended. I'm sure Fran has weighed the plus & minus. I'm just paranoid someday someone is going to sustain a serious injury that would require surgery...

Good thing the NLib Rec has AC...gosh remember the City High days..it got so bad with the slick spots on the floor ..Andre Woolridge had enough and walked off the floor.

Reactions: DanL53
as a fan I would be really disappointed to not see the PTL games...so not proposing it be ended. I'm sure Fran has weighed the plus & minus. I'm just paranoid someday someone is going to sustain a serious injury that would require surgery...

Good thing the NLib Rec has AC...gosh remember the City High days..it got so bad with the slick spots on the floor ..Andre Woolridge had enough and walked off the floor.

That was hot alright.

Bob, you've been around for awhile. Can you remember any Hawkeye suffering a serious injury playing in the PTL?

Ya attended the very first one...and volunteered for a few years in the beginning..but no I can't (which has amazed me)....doesnt help my paranoia though :)

Players get hurt in practices and pick up games too. If players weren't in the PTL, they'd be doing these things and still might get hurt. What players have to be aware of in the PTL is controlling the situation like your example of Woolridge when floor conditions weren't taken care of.

I like the PTL on a lot of levels. Of course, it introduces new players to fans and new teammates, and shows fans how returners have been improving. But it also enables players to work on their relationship with the media- something really important for athletes in the spotlight. It's also something McCaffery is in a unique position to tutor, with his brother being a sportswriter. The PTL also gives players a chance to try things out they've been working on with different players than team members. This also gets them in touch with other instate players and old Hawk players to build the Hawkeye BB social network.

Reactions: hawk-i bob
The injury concern in basketball is overblown, IMO. In general, very few non-freak injuries occur in pick-up style basketball. It's when you start playing with high levels of contact that you see in the Big Ten where injuries start to become a factor.

I'll offer up an idea for the PTL. I think it needs to be revived. I appreciate everything Randy Larson has done, and have no problem if he sticks around, but how about another guy..young blood..to get in there and find some schools to send their players, find some volunteers again to wipe up the floors...stuff like that. Just get some new blood.

Also, instead of this North Liberty/Waterloo mess how about just find a central location, Cedar Rapids, and call it even? I do like Northern Iowa being involved but the way things stand I think the crazy driving distances costs the league players.

Or else call UNI's hand and make it a permanent local league.

No one is immune from injury including in PTL games. I would agree the chances are less because of the style of ball & the fact players respect that.

I don't really know the non Hawk or Panther guys so maybe this isn't a correct observation. It seems to me that there should be greater participation by the area Juco and down division schools. Coe, Cornell and Grinnell surely have some decent players. Is there a JUCO in the Quad Cities. Indian Hills is less than a hundred miles away.

Don't really know what it would take to involve them. Randy is pretty creative so maybe the guys just can't be involved.

I don't really know the non Hawk or Panther guys so maybe this isn't a correct observation. It seems to me that there should be greater participation by the area Juco and down division schools. Coe, Cornell and Grinnell surely have some decent players. Is there a JUCO in the Quad Cities. Indian Hills is less than a hundred miles away.

Don't really know what it would take to involve them. Randy is pretty creative so maybe the guys just can't be involved.

It's my understanding there is another collegiate summer league in Cedar Rapids where some of those guys from Coe and the Jucos play. More playing time for them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT