ADVERTISEMENT

Air quality suffering in eastern Iowa from Canadian wildfire smoke

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
It's pretty smoky in Iowa City today:

Local public health officials are warning of elevated particulate matter in the air due to distantly-transported wildfire smoke.

Linn County Public Health issued an advisory for their area due to increased levels of PM2.5, or finer-scale particulate matter that is often associated with wildfire smoke. Widespread fires in Canada have produced large quantities of smoke in recent days, which have migrated in the atmospheric flow into eastern Iowa.

The source of the smoke in eastern Iowa comes from Canada, rotating around an area of low...

The source of the smoke in eastern Iowa comes from Canada, rotating around an area of low pressure to the east.(KCRG)
Officials said that, as of mid-morning, pollution levels in Linn County were in the category that affects people who have respiratory conditions that make them sensitive to particulates. Levels of smoke could increase to a level that would affect a wider population during parts of Tuesday.

“Fine and coarse particles can cause a variety of serious health problems. When exposed to these particles, people with heart or lung diseases and older adults are more at risk of hospital and emergency room visits or, in some cases, even death,” the agency wrote, in a statement. “These effects have been associated with short-term exposures lasting 24 hours or less. Particles can also aggravate heart disease such as congestive heart failure and lung diseases such as asthma and bronchitis.”

Other parts of Iowa, including much of northeast Iowa, reported similar levels of particulates that would have a similar effect.

Residents are encouraged to reduce the amount of time spent outdoors doing strenuous activity until conditions improve.

Visibility was affected in areas that were experiencing wildfire smoke, with measurements down to as low as two miles.

Took the dog out at lunch here in North Liberty and it was bad. No need for cigarettes if you're a smoker, just inhale the air

Reactions: GOHOX69
I live close by to the Kirkwood CC wind turbine...maybe a mile away tops.

For awhile a couple hours ago, couldn't see the top half of it from my front door. And you could certainly "smell smoke", too.

I mean, I get it, we've had Rocky Mountain smoke before...but from what I understand this is mainly from Ontario. THAT is what's crazy about this.

I wonder when the Big Orange Turd is gonna ask if there is a giant fan we can use to push the smoke back into Canada.

Weather Channel guys said the Canadians are not even attempting to extinguish fires if they're in unpopulated areas or not a danger to the general public.

Sounds odd as they likely eventually spread to inhabited areas.

Weather Channel guys said the Canadians are not even attempting to extinguish fires if they're in unpopulated areas or not a danger to the general public.

Sounds odd as they likely eventually spread to inhabited areas.

90% of Canadian Population lives within 150 miles of US border. The odds are on their side

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT