ADVERTISEMENT

Akrum Wadley = Fred Russell ?

Mantyhawk

Scout Team
Oct 1, 2001
Maybe next season with some added weight? Quick cuts and spins. Hung onto ball high and tight..

That is a close comparison IMO. Wadley might have a little better vision.

Russell was a small-ish back and so is Wadley. To me it seems like their similarities end there though. Maybe closer to Sims? Agree with the poster on the vision thing. Wadley has it, and he did in his high school vids too. The run where he hit the left side and cut it back against the grain for big yardage. He was a master of that in highlight reel from high school and it was nice to see him showcase it here. Good vision and lateral movement. It's something we've haven't had for awhile and is a bit of a breath of fresh air. I love Canzeri, but Wadley has more of an ability to take it the distance. If he can, like you said, bulk up just a tinge and get the ball security issue figured out he will consistently put up big numbers behind a Ferentz coached OL.

Russell was a small-ish back and so is Wadley. To me it seems like their similarities end there though. Maybe closer to Sims? Agree with the poster on the vision thing. Wadley has it, and he did in his high school vids too. The run where he hit the left side and cut it back against the grain for big yardage. He was a master of that in highlight reel from high school and it was nice to see him showcase it here. Good vision and lateral movement. It's something we've haven't had for awhile and is a bit of a breath of fresh air. I love Canzeri, but Wadley has more of an ability to take it the distance. If he can, like you said, bulk up just a tinge and get the ball security issue figured out he will consistently put up big numbers behind a Ferentz coached OL.

With his stop and go ability, spin moves, jump-cuts, etc. he looks like he has some barry sanders in him. He needs to get a lot stronger to earn that comparison, but he definitely has the instincts and 'moves'.

Fred Russell was a GREAT Hawk. Perfect type of back for that team.

But how many tackles did he ever break? Sure he juked guys, but once somebody got a hand on him he was down. Wadley seems to have some power to run through tackles which I think puts him way beyond Freddy as a complete back.

I'll also say - Freddy struggled early in his career with hitting holes quickly and dancing in the backfield. Wadley did not have that yesterday. Seemed to be a very decisive runner - kind of like a Demarco Murray.

Wadley runs like he is on skates. Impressive ability to set up guys and to make them miss.

Get serious this off season. Gain 10 lbs of muscle, transform that body and work on that ball security and it will be tough to keep him out of lineup. Hope this is an eye opener for him and what he can do. Not just to be another guy. He can be THE guy...if he wants it

I was thinking he ran somewhat similar to T Banks without the shoestring tackles, quicker but a little less top end speed.

He's seems to be real good making the 1st guy miss. That's quickness and vision. He also hits the hole hard and seems to have a little bit of power after contact for a little guy. I hope to have Canzeri back ASAP, but having Wadley around is a great problem. Hopefully Mr. Daniels remembers he's a power back and hits the hole like it again at some point.

IF Wadley can keep Coach White's voice in his head "high and tight, high and tight", he'll be a real keeper.

I actually think Canzeri reminds me more of Russell than Wadley.

I definitely agree with this, Wadley runs totally different than these two. Canzeri and Russell to me look almost identical running the ball and also size wise. All I know is Wadley has to play more.

I don't see it at all.

Freddy was tiny and had stubby legs. He was more of a scat back like Sproles.

Wadley isn't big but he has a thinner stature and long strides.

I don't like comparing him to anyone but if I had to I'd say Mike Saunders.

I think the Sims comparison is dead on....

Thx for your comparisons - comments. Isn't it somewhat comforting to know IA has a stable of "capable" - " quality" ? running backs - for this season and next few ?
Current -Leshun, Jordan, Akrum, Derrick, Marcel and Eric.
2016- only lose Jordan, but gain two or three more depending where coaches use them.
We REALLY discovered, or uncovered and unleashed our running backs after LeShun went down didn't we?? Or, I will speak only for me, that I did NOT know or realize Jordan's stamina or Akrum's durability until now. You can never have enough rb's in your stable, so for me, I'm happy at this juncture.

Reactions: icu81222
Akrum has more speed than Freddie and his running style was different. Wadley runs more vertical while Russell ran compact and lower to the ground.

I think both Akrum and Mitchell both passed Daneils on the depth cart Saturday. It wont happen, but it should from what ive seen all year from Daniels. Leshaun runs extremely timid for 230 lbs.

Akrum has more speed than Freddie and his running style was different. Wadley runs more vertical while Russell ran compact and lower to the ground.

I think both Akrum and Mitchell both passed Daneils on the depth cart Saturday. It wont happen, but it should from what ive seen all year from Daniels. Leshaun runs extremely timid for 230 lbs.

Agree. Wadley and Mitchell looked like the complete deal out there last weekend. Mitchell has an all-around game to him that makes him a perfect 3rd down back while Wadley has the zip and vision to kill teams on 1st and 2nd down. Daniels from everything ive seen looks to be the 4th back on this team. I'm interested in what Joly can do as well he has really made some big strides since coming over to RB.

Reactions: PCBHAWK
After some thought, I opine that Wadley might be the first of his type at Iowa. Freddie was not only shorter than Wad, he had very short legs-- so Fred ran like a quick centipede while Wadley with his long legs fast-lopes like a small Usain Bolt.

Reactions: naturalbornhawk
Agree. Wadley and Mitchell looked like the complete deal out there last weekend. Mitchell has an all-around game to him that makes him a perfect 3rd down back while Wadley has the zip and vision to kill teams on 1st and 2nd down. Daniels from everything ive seen looks to be the 4th back on this team. I'm interested in what Joly can do as well he has really made some big strides since coming over to RB.
My friend that works in the athletic department who is at every practice, told me after the NW game that a healthy Daniels is by far the best running back on the team. I don't see it, but he's been hurt. Just thought I'd share.

Reactions: TankHawk
Thkx again . Re; L. Daniels..prior to his ankle injury, I thought he looked solid. He can power thru and offer a different style. AW is quick and cuts, spins, leaps, twists through a hole and be gone, fast. Gotta love this stable of runners.

Our interior O linemen have been terrific, haven't they? The tackles will continue improving as well. Tight ends. Excellent.
How fortunate are we?! Our defense seems to be communicating and adjusting as the season progresses.

Lots of things clicking. Finish the season strong Hawks. Recruits - get on board the Hawkeye express and enjoy Iowa City.

All I know is I don't really want to rely on one back any more. The Shonn Greenes of the world are hard to come by - and Hampton even ran for 400+ that year.

Gotta have more than one that you use every game.

Show me a big time yardage RB during KF's tenure, he most likely had a pretty good backup that got quality usage that most likely was a contrast in styles.

My friend that works in the athletic department who is at every practice, told me after the NW game that a healthy Daniels is by far the best running back on the team. I don't see it, but he's been hurt. Just thought I'd share.

I heard this a few times. Was LD banged up the first game? I dont see it, he seems a little soft for 230 lbs.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT