ADVERTISEMENT

IowaLaw's Objective Post Game Analysis: Ohio State

I disagree in the fact that this loss falls on the shoulders of Cade, the oline and KJ.

There is a reason why the oline looked bad, Cade had pressure in his face whenever he dropped back and KJ had no running room. It was because of the massive talent gap on the edges, that is where it starts. OSU manned up our WR's and brought their safeties in the box because they were no worried one bit about getting beat over the top. It did not help at all that the officials let OSU pretty much maul our guys off the ball, but that is what you get when you play at home. They basically play a 3-3-5 style defense in the same fashion as ISU, only with better athletes. When you couple that with the fact that their dline is better than our oline straight up, it allowed them to cover our TE's with those big, athletic safeties as well. If we were going to win this game it had to be between the tackles.

Conversely on the other side of the ball, the scenario was pretty similar. Their edge talent was much better than ours and thus we had to play our safeties over the top. Thus, OSU was able to run the ball at will because they had a big numbers advantage and they were able to spread us out.

Conclusion. We should all relax and calm down a bit. Know that Ohio State we are not. They are the best team money can buy and top to bottom one of the best teams I have seen in a very long time. They are superior at pretty much every position group on both sides of the ball and honestly, I don't see them losing to anyone. We are a better team than we looked, a better team than last year, but, still, no matchup for a team like this. If we had a couple of elite playmakers at the WR position we would look totally different and that is by far the biggest deficiency on this team. That, and the one thing I agree with the OP with, I love Lachey but he is not a matchup challenge like some of our past tight ends.
So you’re good rolling with Cade going forward?

IowasLaw has a thing with making wild and ridiculous takes about current and former Iowa TEs.

It sounds personal........ ;)
come on; wild! You can disagree but his account of Lachey but it wasn’t wild. You guys like to lock in on opinions you don’t like and try to discount the entire thesis in the process. The analysis was by all account credible and it’s true Lachey hasn’t lit it up…the reasons are debatable for sure.

Credit for using the acronym fOSU.
star-wars-meme.gif

come on; wild! You can disagree but his account of Lachey but it wasn’t wild. You guys like to lock in on opinions you don’t like and try to discount the entire thesis in the process. The analysis was by all account credible and it’s true Lachey hasn’t lit it up…the reasons are debatable for sure.
200w.gif

1. OSU defense is the best Iowa will face this year so no matter what this was going to be a tough game for the OLine especially when everyone knew OSU would play 9 in the box. That has and will be the plan for opponents the rest of the season but with KJ et al I think they'll be fine. OSU is that good.

2. There are no other QB's on the roster. Of course we don't know about Sully, and barring injury, won't see him most likely.

3. Higgins also caused the fumble in the first half. As to LB's, I was surprised to see Fisher out there so much. He had a pretty poor day.

4. Wrong, our TE's are very good.

5. Tough sledding for KJ, he'll get/be better going forward. He slo might want to keep his mouth shut. LOL.

6. Castro is a mystery to me. Maybe teams are shying away from him but he hasn't been very "visible" this year. That may be me.

fOSU is probably the best team Iowa will face this year and the schedule going forward isn't daunting. But playing a team like fOSU you better perfect in all aspects of your game which Iowa obviously wasn't. Iowa can win out, or can lose another game or 2 if they aren't clean.
To your first point. Our total lack of talent and explosiveness at wideout just absolutely kills us. Allowing 9 men within 3-4 yards of the line of scrimmage and knowing their db's can easily handle our wideouts gives you almost no chance. Gill has been a nice surprise. I'd really like to know if Anderson and Brown are really "hurt", or in the doghouse a bit. It seems crazy to me that in the least physical position on the team both guys can't even get on the field.

The overall regression of the offensive line in the last few or more years is what’s discouraging. Do we have some first round talent every year or so. But holy shit most of these dudes have sucked gas.
All of our O linemen have 4+ playing.

To perform like they are is inexcusable. I really don’t know why our line play has dropped so dramatically the last handful of seasons…apparently their ‘eye’ for talent recently has been sub-par.

Mason Richman STILL starts?? He’s terrible!

Some things never change. The Hawks haven't had a big game quarterback since CJ Beathard. That's right, a Big 10 team with Iowa's mega-sports budget has not managed to have a Big 10 quarterback in EIGHT years. Kirk seems set on keeping it that way. It wasn't just that the Hawks lost to Ohio State...it was the way the lost. Playing not to lose is cute when you're ahead of Northwestern by 3 and playing on Peacock. But when you're playing in prime time on CBS at the Horseshoe and only behind the #3 team in the nation by 7 points, you would think a coach paid $8,000,000 per year would actually seize the opportunity. The paranoid timeout and subsequent shank punt on 4th and inches from the 50 yard line was unforgivable. But with that kind of loser mentality, the Hawks get humiliated 35-7, and it really wasn't even that close.

1. Unaccountable OLine & Coach Underperforming. Can anyone blame Kayden Proctor for understanding he'd get far superior coaching at Alabama? Iowa's OLine has more seniority and more starts than any other line in the Big 10. They were the worst in the conference 2 years ago but they were young. They were bad last year, but they were "improving." For that reason, Kirk routinely gave their coach a pass. But here we are in year 3 of the exact same doughy fat guys charged with protecting the QB. They just don't have it and their coach isn't a good enough recruiter or Xs and Os coach to make any improvements next year. The entire line graduates this year and it makes fans wonder...if these guys are the best Iowa had over the past 3 years, how bad must the depth be behind them? Next year it's going to be portal or bust...and based on Kirk's portal recruiting, count on bust. One thing's for sure...the OLine coach will get a raise regardless of performance.

2. Cade's Union Card Needs to be Declined. Enough is enough. Cade was adequate as a game manager at Michigan when surrounded by NFL linemen, NFL running backs, and NFL WRs. At Iowa, more is needed from the QB position. Cade will never get there. 14/20 for just 98 yards and 3 turnovers (and another fumble that Iowa recovered)...after throwing for just 62 yards last week. His poorly under thrown ball to a wide open Gill just 25 yards down was the last straw. The guy's mechanics are worse than most high school QBs and his arm strength isn't much better. Did I mention he's as immobile as most offensive linemen? Aside from his innate ability to randy around, what does Cade have that Iowa's backups don't? Can someone tell me why Sullivan only threw 1 pass all game in a 28 point blowout loss?

3. Higgins Rises to the Top. When Higgins came from nowhere to lead the nation in tackles last year, it took most people by surprise. But this year, he's building on last year's performance and proving it wasn't a fluke. 14 tackles, 1 sack, 1 tfl are worthy of Big 10 defensive player of the week honors. Sadly, his cohort Nick Jackson hasn't shown the same level of improvement and finished the game with just 3 tackles.

4. Lachey Overrated? At tight end U, 4 star senior TEs are expected to be game changers. Lachey received more hype than anyone else on offense before the season started, deservedly so. Unfortunately, the guy has just 17 catches in 5 games this year and his sweet spot seems to be catching 2 yard dump off passes on 3rd and 9. Lachey led the team with 5 catches for 39 yards, but he's just not the difference making weapon that most of us hoped he'd be.

5. Johnson Underutilized. Despite running against a loaded box who knew Cade couldn't beat them with his arm, and despite weak run blocking by the Twinkie boys up front, Johnson still managed nearly 6 yards per carry against the best run defense in the country. So why, pray tell, did he only get 15 carries all game? Johnson's two 28 yard runs were Iowa's only two big plays and he was just getting warmed up in the second half.

6. Castro Improving. Castro was an all-American last year and was expected to come back and improve his draft stock. While he hasn't quite met expectations, he played great against Ohio State. 6 tackles, a sack, and an interception were huge in keeping the Hawks in the game in the first half. Castro is the best open field tackler on the team and he seems to be hitting his stride.
Must had been in a good mood, Law when you wrote this ... if OhioSt plays just a decent 1st half, it's a 49-7 or even worse type game. No dumb fumble after easy 40 yd gain. Then that KF dumb type call with the spread qb keeper by your klutz qb on 4th and 2, after your battering ram rbs are knocking Hawk embarrassing safties into the next county when they run untouched into the secondary. Chip Kelly was awful in the 1st half, against a good team, that could be a problem for OSU.

Law, you nailed it here, nothing more needs to be said ..... Playing not to lose is cute when you're ahead of Northwestern by 3 and playing on Peacock.

The story of KF's career right there. Credit the guy for pulling this fraud off for 26 years!

Reactions: Iron Doc
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT