ADVERTISEMENT

Almost 1968 "revisited"....

joelbc1

HR King
Gold Member
Sep 5, 2007
you can’t always get what you want!
I believe in 1968 Iowa was hosting a (sub-.500) Michigan team in the BB season finale. What was on line for the Hawks was a B10 Championship (outright) and an invite to the NCAA basketball tourney.
I believe Michigan was being coached by Johnny Orr that year. Well, Michigan ran out to a huge first half lead and Iowa fell short at the end as a Sam Williams prayer bounced off the rim as the game ended.....The result was Iowa having to play tOSU in a play-off game to go the the NCAAs....and unfortunately, tOSU won the play-off game....and Iowa's co-champion team stayed home. My dad used to tell me..."being an Iowa fan will just break your heart"........damn, my dad was a pretty smart man.
This season, the Hawks were 0-4 vs. their 2 (mediocre) but bitter rivals. :mad:
If your a Hawk fan remember to take your medication....regardless of how good you think you feel. And continue your therapy!

Remember it. Blew a layup at the end of the Michigan game. Then lost osu at neutral site (Illinois I think).

But I disagree with your dad that it is particularly hard to be an Iowa fan. I think we’ve probably had slightly ABOVE average joy over the years.

Reactions: Hawk_4shur
I believe in 1968 Iowa was hosting a (sub-.500) Michigan team in the BB season finale. What was on line for the Hawks was a B10 Championship (outright) and an invite to the NCAA basketball tourney.
I believe Michigan was being coached by Johnny Orr that year. Well, Michigan ran out to a huge first half lead and Iowa fell short at the end as a Sam Williams prayer bounced off the rim as the game ended.....The result was Iowa having to play tOSU in a play-off game to go the the NCAAs....and unfortunately, tOSU won the play-off game....and Iowa's co-champion team stayed home. My dad used to tell me..."being an Iowa fan will just break your heart"........damn, my dad was a pretty smart man.
This season, the Hawks were 0-4 vs. their 2 (mediocre) but bitter rivals. :mad:
If your a Hawk fan remember to take your medication....regardless of how good you think you feel. And continue your therapy!
Did he tell you about the following season? 14-0 and conference champions? Average over 100 points a game in conference play. No three point shot at that time. Lost in the regional semi finals to Jacksonville, 104-103.
Jacksonville had 7'3" Artis Gilmore and 7' Penbrook Burrows on the floor. Drake University had a great team that year also.

Last edited:
Remember it. Blew a layup at the end of the Michigan game. Then lost osu at neutral site (Illinois I think).

But I disagree with your dad that it is particularly hard to be an Iowa fan. I think we’ve probably had slightly ABOVE average joy over the years.
Heartbreak occurs when something you want badly doesn't materialize. If I didn't get a lot of joy being a Hawks fan for about 60 years there would be no heartbreak.

;)

Did he tell you about the following season? 14-0 and conference champions? Average over 100 points a game in conference play. No three point shot at that time. Lost in the regional semi finals to Jacksonville, 104-103.
Jacksonville had 7'3" Artis Gilmore and 7' Penbrook Burrows on the floor. Drake University had a great team that year also.
Your wrong. The following season Iowa was barely a .500 team and had a losing record in the B10. 1969-70 was the undefeated season....and that year the heartbreak came in the NCAAs...and I believe that was the year dad dropped his wisdom on me. DrAke’s Final 4 team was 1968-69 I believe. Drake was an NCAA team in ‘70, too. But “their great team” was the year before.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT