ADVERTISEMENT

The panic moment that almost lost the game

bansheexyz

HR All-State
Sep 24, 2017
With about 50 seconds left and Iowa up by 4, a series of bizarre errors happened that almost cost us the game. I'm glad we were able to overcome it, but I want to break down what happened.

First error is on Bluder. Stuelke probably should have been taken out for another guard, because she's not a great FT shooter or passer. Uconn needed either a quick steal or foul, so I feel she is a liability on this play.

Second error is on Stuelke. She tries to hand the ball off to Kate without using her body to shield the ball. Their big pokes the ball away and creates a loose ball.

Third error now gets made by Kate Martin. In a panic, she is afraid of over-and-back being called and tries to pass the ball back to someone instead of just repossessing and going into the backcourt. Backcourt violation likely would not have been called since the ball was poked, but even if it does get called you're able to reset your defense.

Fourth mistake is on the team. Instead of just fouling to set up our d, we let the posession chaotically play out and Stuelke sinks into the paint leaving us vulernable to the kickout 3. They make it, and now we're only up by 1.

I about had a heart attack, glad we pulled it out after this.

Last edited:
With about 50 seconds left and Iowa up by 4, a series of bizarre errors happened that almost cost us the game. I'm glad we were able to overcome it, but I want to break down what happened.

First error is on Bluder. Stuelke probably should have been taken out for another guard, because she's not a great FT shooter or passer. Uconn needed either a quick steal or foul, so I feel she is a liability on this play.

Second error is on Stuelke. She tries to hand the ball off to Kate without using her body to shield the ball. Their big pokes the ball away and creates a loose ball.

Third error now gets made by Kate Martin. In a panic, she is afraid of over-the-back being called and tries to pass the ball back to someone instead of just repossessing and going into the backcourt. Backcourt violation likely would not have been called since the ball was poked, but even if it does get called you're able to reset your defense.

Fourth mistake is on the team. Instead of just fouling to set up our d, we let the posession chaotically play out and Stuelke sinks into the paint leaving us vulernable to the kickout 3. They make it, and now we're only up by 1.

It was not Bluder’s best coaching performance. I begged for them to run CC off multiple screens for 3 quarters. They did it once to start the second half and it was her only stand still 3 of the game. She was content letting the game ride in the supporting cast’s hands. It worked out.

Don't forget the botched offensive play that set up UConn with the ball with 10 seconds remaining. Hannah again, unfortunately. It was just a horrendous last few minutes for Iowa, and exactly how you lose a game with a 6 point lead heading into the final minutes.

They choked, but won.

Last edited:
That first half was probably the worst iowa has played all year. Then the final few minutes wasn't exactly flawless either.

Yet, still won vs a great team.
There's no way iowa plays that sloppy twice in 3 days. Need the 3s to fall to have any chance vs South Carolina. Iowa played better in the 2nd half so hopefully that momentum carries over into Sunday.

Third error now gets made by Kate Martin. In a panic, she is afraid of over-and-back being called and tries to pass the ball back to someone instead of just repossessing and going into the backcourt. Backcourt violation likely would not have been called since the ball was poked, but even if it does get called you're able to reset your defense.

Yeah bro. The last 3 minutes were… face in palm and stressful as shit.

It was not Bluder’s best coaching performance. I begged for them to run CC off multiple screens for 3 quarters. They did it once to start the second half and it was her only stand still 3 of the game. She was content letting the game ride in the supporting cast’s hands. It worked out.

I am glad I am not the only one that feels this way. There were several possessions throughout the game that Caitlin didn’t even touch the ball before Iowa took a shot. Even my no pic wife that is clueless on this stuff was wonder what was up. She said numerous times that Caitlin must be injured or something. I don’t know but a very interesting game plan by bluder.

Don't forget the botched offensive play that set up UConn with the ball with 10 seconds remaining. Hannah again, unfortunately. It was just a horrendous last few minutes for Iowa, and exactly how you lose a hame with a 6 point lead heading into the final minutes.

They choked, but won.
People......they are not taking Stuelke off the floor on late game situations.

It may suck and we may disagree with it, but they aren't gonna do it.

Stop calling for it.

Ask their f***ing inbounds coordinator coach or whoever the f*** she is to stop calling the same gotdam play instead..............

You're welcome.

Stop calling for it.

Ask their f***ing inbounds coordinator coach or whoever the f*** she is to stop calling the same gotdam play instead..............

You're welcome.
Yeah, I'm not sure they have a player that "should" be in there at the end, but as a team they messed up pretty bad in that last minute. A few bad plays and decisions that stacked on them.

We should’ve been back cutting so much harder than we did all night.

That’s the only way to punish an aggressive defense like that.

I was screaming at the TV to have them take a timeout. You could tell they weren’t sure if they should hold the ball or try and score. The cos h in me knows when players are confused and it my job to get them reset. UConn was trying to foul us and at the point it doesn’t matter who has the ball just don’t turn it over!!!

Uconn was literally hugging our players off the ball. Caitlin had people hanging on her. No call. It was absolutely atrocious

I am glad I am not the only one that feels this way. There were several possessions throughout the game that Caitlin didn’t even touch the ball before Iowa took a shot. Even my no pic wife that is clueless on this stuff was wonder what was up. She said numerous times that Caitlin must be injured or something. I don’t know but a very interesting game plan by bluder.
It worked. As the game went on ot was ovvious Lida wanted Hannah to work the interior because they couldn't stay with her and to put fouls on them.

Stop calling for it.

You're welcome.
Huge shift in the game came when they pulled stuelke and put ogrady in. I think that’s when we had our 9 point lead. And about 3 mistakes by ogrady and our lead was gone. I would argue the 2 turnovers by stuelke at the end weren’t even really her fault. She never should’ve had the ball at halfcourt and then caitlin put her in a bad spot on the last turnover.

We also didn't get Clark a single shot to end any of the first three quarters despite having what should've been the last possession minus a couple seconds in each. I'm all for her passing whe she isn't shooting well, but two of the times we turned it over without even getting a shot and let UConn take it. Sometimes you need to Jimmy Chitwood those and just keep it for yourself even if everyone knows you are taking it when the clock runs out. You end up with people not ready to shoot (or even catch a pass last night) because they weren't expecting it. Had flashbacks to all the times Mike Gesell got stuck shooting at the shot clock because the intended shooter would pass it back to him with a half second left on it and no chance to do anything. You waste thirty seconds and don't even give yourself a chance.

The awful 60 seconds of O'Grady in the fourth quarter up 9 was also a momentum killer. One thing if she'd played a few minutes each quarter but I don't think she'd been in since the first quarter and very quickly then as well.

Hannah needs to be at the rim on those inbounds plays. That takes a defender away from the guards and creates more space to get someone open.
In no universe should the ball go to Hannah outside the three point arc.
Kind of forgot about her getting a defensive rebound and standing with the ball for 3-4seconds looking for an outlet and nobody coming, then having to bring the ball up under pressure. Another shake your head moment. Hannah is a pretty good ball handler for a 5 but it just isn’t smart to put her in any of those situations they did last night.

That first half was probably the worst iowa has played all year. Then the final few minutes wasn't exactly flawless either.

Yet, still won vs a great team.
There's no way iowa plays that sloppy twice in 3 days. Need the 3s to fall to have any chance vs South Carolina. Iowa played better in the 2nd half so hopefully that momentum carries over into Sunday.
Good points, but of course you do know that Iowa beat SC 77-73 last year, so Iowa does have a chance. And the Hawkeyes are the only team in the universe to defeat SC in the last two years. SC is like 77-0 against everyone not named the Iowa Hawkeyes.

Sometimes you have to give the other team some credit. UConn is a very good defensive team, especially considering so many freshmen were on the court.

Huge shift in the game came when they pulled stuelke and put ogrady in. I think that’s when we had our 9 point lead. And about 3 mistakes by ogrady and our lead was gone. I would argue the 2 turnovers by stuelke at the end weren’t even really her fault. She never should’ve had the ball at halfcourt and then caitlin put her in a bad spot on the last turnover.
I'm still inclined to ask their late game inbounds play coach if she has any other sideline inbounds plays.................

I agree 100%. Why, after four years of CC dominating the best in the game, does Bluder decide to basically move Clark to off-guard? Did Bluder feel obligated to counter Gino's strategy? She should have ignored him and set backcourt picks (if necessary) to get the ball in Clark's hands every possession.

Thank God Martin, Marshall, and Stuelke pulled us through.

BTW, Bird, Taurisi, and Stewart were raving about Martin's clutch plays in the 4th quarter.

Reactions: luvmyhawks
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT