ADVERTISEMENT

Almost 2,000 children die every day from air pollution

Nov 28, 2010
Maryland
Nearly 2,000 children under five are dying every day from air pollution, which has overtaken poor sanitation and a lack of clean water to become the second biggest health risk factor for young children around the world.

More than 8 million deaths, of children and adults, were caused by air pollution in 2021, according to a new study from the Health Effects Institute (HEI), as both outdoor and indoor pollution continue to take an increasing toll on health.

Dirty air is now the second biggest killer globally, overtaking tobacco use, and second only to high blood pressure, as a risk factor for death among the general population. Among children under five, air pollution is second only to malnutrition as a risk factor in mortality.

Last edited:
CaphSTa.png

Number of childhood deaths (<5 years of age) attributable to air pollution in 2021. The heaviest burden is seen in poorer regions, where it is common to burn solid fuels for cooking.

::shakes tiny fist at capitalists third world cooking::

Somebody get that kid from ole liberal city @IAFB2021Champs was talking about to shoot the air. Problem solved. The answer is always more shootin’!
Haha so you want more guns in kids hands. Got it. You should be blaming god for that polluted air caused by humans. I mean what else does he have to do.

In Manila, kids work the dumps and there are always fires.

In US trash and leaf burns are like a fundmental sacred right.

In Iowa summer haze isnt from humidity, its dust from gravel roads.

Haha so you want more guns in kids hands. Got it. You should be blaming god for that polluted air caused by humans. I mean what else does he have to do.
2A says "shall not be infringed." It doesn't impose an age limit.

Not only should school kids be allowed to carry guns, but this is a capitalist society, so they should probably sell them in the cafeteria or have gun vending machines in the halls.

Not only should school kids be allowed to carry guns, but this is a capitalist society, so they should probably sell them in the cafeteria or have gun vending machines in the halls.

Now you’re getting it. Damn hippies in here trying to take away the 3 year old’s right to carry. Bullshit! Guns, god, family, ED pills. ‘Merica!

What if they lie about being an illegal drug user when purchasing a gun?
This damn kids are probably dealing drugs in daycare as well.

What if they lie about being an illegal drug user when purchasing a gun?
This damn kids are probably dealing drugs in daycare as well.

Having to fill out any form to get a gun is clearly an infringement under the wording of 2A.

Interference with drug sales is anti-free-market. Plus, where else will kids get the money to buy their guns?

Reactions: TheCainer
Kidding aside, is anyone bothered by the air pollution deaths?

Bothered enough to vote for people who want to address those issues?
Who do we vote for then? The one that had the First Lady flying back and forth to a different country on tax dollars to see her criminal step son in court?

Anyway, the government will take my Pit Barrel Cooker when they pry it from my cold dead fingers.

Not knowing where you live, would you support higher taxes to pay do away with most Iowa gravel roads? Do youbm supportbl leaf burning?
The first sounds like a local issue and I'm not sure of the relevance (particulate matter in the air, I assume).

Nor do I think leaf burning is at a scale that requires concerted federal or global action. I could be wrong, though.

I'm looking for people who will aggressively address the main issues, not the peripheral ones. But that's not to dismiss those issues for those who want to tackle them. Every little bit helps.

The evangelicals aren't bothered. The wingnuts aren't bothered. The GOP isn't bothered. And yes, those two former subsets overlap substantially inside the larger GOP.
I think I may see the Evangelical/Republican logic. Check me on this....

They're not going to do anything to reduce the number of kids who die or are disabled by bad air, water, heat, storms, etc. . . . BUT . . . they will replace them by forcing women to carry unwanted pregnancies to term.

So much cheaper. And one poor baby is pretty much the same as another, so who cares?

The first sounds like a local issue and I'm not sure of the relevance (particulate matter in the air, I assume).

Nor do I think leaf burning is at a scale that requires concerted federal or global action. I could be wrong, though.

I'm looking for people who will aggressively address the main issues, not the peripheral ones. But that's not to dismiss those issues for those who want to tackle them. Every little bit helps.
You are very wrong on both couts. Iowa air has a lot of non healthy stuff in it. It is a statewide issue. On the other subject leaf burning is a huge issue. A grade school student had a reaction to smoke that was heavy and got into the school. He died. You only have one set of lungs it is not peripheral. It is only that due to lobby efforts.

So clean air really isnt important to you. Change is likely only going to happen from the local hot issues.

The locals in Manila see trash diving in smoke as income. The rich dont care. You dont care about dust and leaf smoke so you really dont care.

You are very wrong on both couts. Iowa air has a lot of non healthy stuff in it. It is a statewide issue. On the other subject leaf burning is a huge issue. A grade school student had a reaction to smoke that was heavy and got into the school. He died. You only have one set of lungs it is not peripheral. It is only that due to lobby efforts.

So clean air really isnt important to you. Change is likely only going to happen from the local hot issues.

The locals in Manila see trash diving in smoke as income. The rich dont care. You dont care about dust and leaf smoke so you really dont care.
So you're going to ignore what I actually said and make up what you want me to mean so you can dismiss what I actually said.

How modern of you.

This sounds an awful lot like the old "Al Gore is a hypocrite, so let's not do anything about climate change" argument.

I thought you guys had some new material.
I asked who we were supposed to vote for if we wanted to do something about it.
I did not mention anything about not doing anything about climate change. But it seems like you don’t know who will do something about it either. Also I identify as one singular person. Not sure why you mentioned you guys?

Just curious. Do you have a link that shows the adverse health effects caused by gravel road dust and burning of leaves contributing to the poor air quality in the state of Iowa?

This sounds an awful lot like the old "Al Gore is a hypocrite, so let's not do anything about climate change" argument.

I thought you guys had some new material.
It's not new material, it's the same old material because the hypocrisy continues.

The US is making progress. We can't be responsible for every other place on the planet, and we can't be expected to overcompensate for other countries on top of that.

I think I may see the Evangelical/Republican logic. Check me on this....

They're not going to do anything to reduce the number of kids who die or are disabled by bad air, water, heat, storms, etc. . . . BUT . . . they will replace them by forcing women to carry unwanted pregnancies to term.

So much cheaper. And one poor baby is pretty much the same as another, so who cares?
Meanwhile, our clean air solution in the US is arguably producing a worse problem because of the massive increase in tire dust.

Dems or Greens, to start. Greens are much better, but have little chance to win.

Even though I like Libertarians on some issues, this isn't one of them.

Republicans have been the major problem (politically speaking) for a very long time.
So just vote for a party and hope they do something about it. That seems pretty foolish as we have a president currently from that party and here you started this thread about poor air quality. LOL

You'd think with all this global warming going on, there would be fewer people burning fires for heat?

🤷‍♂️

Meanwhile, our clean air solution in the US is arguably producing a worse problem because of the massive increase in tire dust.
They weigh less than F-150s.
This seems like an overwrought concern, especially if not applied to all the other vehicles that weigh as much or more.

Reactions: LBoogie28
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT