ADVERTISEMENT

Alright Hort, lets hear your opinion. ( Real life sh*t)

What says you

• Buy

Votes: 10 66.7%
  • Be smart

Votes: 5 33.3%

• Total voters
Mar 11, 2020
I will try to keep this as short as possible. Any opinions are greatly appreciated. I believe the average age around here may give me a different perspective than maybe my traditional friend group.

I want to start out by saying this,

*(1)I know boats are HORRIBLE investments.

I've shared my story on here before, I grew up a River Rat. I was learning to swim in the Hayes pool before I was 2. I've Drank Gallons of Mississippi Mud water and boating is/was a major part of my life. I've built several John boats and again (1).

So the deal is my dad has finally decided to sell his old power boat. Nothing crazy 19.5, V bottom, 350 that he has built, this is the key, my dad and I "built" that engine. 1988 (she ain't gettin any younger), Open Bow, really nice boat. I've got a John boat now foe the no wake lake right next to me.

I have No need for a fiberglass boat, I Have 2 really nice lakes near me but they are both private so realistically I'm trailering it to Saylorville( 40 min) or paying to keep it at Panorama ( if that's even an option, 20 min) also (1) but.... and here is where I inevitably know I may chose to just make a poor decision.... I know the day will come when the closest thing I can get to spending time with my dad is going for a ride in that boat.

Realistically it's like a 6k boat he will sell me for 3k, it isn't about the up front cost. It's the storage and (1).

What say you? Stick with my brain, use that money towards a better investment ect

Or

Buy the boat

This IS the right answer, though. A boat club is a much smarter play.

I don't live near good boating areas (you won't catch me near Saylorville Lake unless I want to grow a tail with the chemicals in there), so my perception is a little different. I have a lot of friends that have boats in their family. But most of them ended up deciding it was too much hassle.

I mean if you want the boat and the storage fees arn't going to make a big dent in your budget than I guess get it. . . .

To me this is more about buying a toy that requires a monthly fee or whatever and the question really is how much you are willing to spend on the toy. (For the record I mean no judgement when I say it's a toy. I recently got a computer to play games on, that's a toy too)

Don't know why this would be called an investment.

Based on those facts, I would not buy the boat. Sounds like a PITA to take care of upkeep on an old boat and you’re too far away from the water to use it all that often.

I would save your money and splurge on some cool rental boats if you want to take your dad out in the future.

I will try to keep this as short as possible. Any opinions are greatly appreciated. I believe the average age around here may give me a different perspective than maybe my traditional friend group.

I've shared my story on here before, I grew up a River Rat. I was learning to swim in the Hayes pool before I was 2. I've Drank Gallons of Mississippi Mud water and boating is/was a major part of my life. I've built several John boats and again (1).

So the deal is my dad has finally decided to sell his old power boat. Nothing crazy 19.5, V bottom, 350 that he has built, this is the key, my dad and I "built" that engine. 1988 (she ain't gettin any younger), Open Bow, really nice boat. I've got a John boat now foe the no wake lake right next to me.

I have No need for a fiberglass boat, I Have 2 really nice lakes near me but they are both private so realistically I'm trailering it to Saylorville( 40 min) or paying to keep it at Panorama ( if that's even an option, 20 min) also (1) but.... and here is where I inevitably know I may chose to just make a poor decision.... I know the day will come when the closest thing I can get to spending time with my dad is going for a ride in that boat.

Realistically it's like a 6k boat he will sell me for 3k, it isn't about the up front cost. It's the storage and (1).

What say you? Stick with my brain, use that money towards a better investment ect

Or

Buy the boat
I think that you live in Dallas county. Maybe around Redfield. How did I do?

Do it. Some of the best memories we've made as a family have been in the water. Me and the youngest spent today fishing Palo in 40 mph wind in prep for his high school tournament this weekend. We still had a fun night.

Or

Buy the boat
It’s 3 grand. Psh.

It sounds like you and your dad building the engine is a big deal for you. If you don't buy it you'll likely regret it at some point.

Better to get it and complain about it, but have it there to remember those times.
I would say this is where I'm at. I'm going to feel like I did the wrong thing either way but atleast I get to make the decision.

The other aspect is what's my obligation for selling it. If he gives me a great deal, I trailer it to DM, sell if for 8k in 2 years because "life" how does that all go.

Reactions: NDallasRuss
Based on those facts, I would not buy the boat. Sounds like a PITA to take care of upkeep on an old boat and you’re too far away from the water to use it all that often.

I would save your money and splurge on some cool rental boats if you want to take your dad out in the future.
Decent idea, better to make another memory.

do it jewish GIF

I would say this is where I'm at. I'm going to feel like I did the wrong thing either way but atleast I get to make the decision.

The other aspect is what's my obligation for selling it. If he gives me a great deal, I trailer it to DM, sell if for 8k in 2 years because "life" how does that all go.
Yeah, if your dad is giving you a great deal, I'd think it's because he wants it to be with you. You sell it while he's around and it could lead to hard feelings. Maybe you could use the profit for you and your dad to go on a trip or something.

A 38 year old boat worth 6k that is sentimental because it reminds you of your dad. That seems like something you pass on to your kid not make him pay for.

I bet beers and some bonding time fishing and he'd give you the boat for free.

This seems like a win win. You and your dad get to make fun memories together and you get a boat.

I don't know your financial situation, but $3K isn't that much money. If you have a way to store it on your property, buy it and see what happens over the course of a year. If you end up not using it much, sell it or give it away.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT