ADVERTISEMENT

POLL: Sunday Edition of Who's the a-hat: Girl with peanut allergy ‘thrown off flight by captain’

Who's the a-hat?

• Total voters
Of course I wouldn’t eat goddamned peanuts in front of someone with a peanut allergy either. It’s not the airline’s responsibility to cater to every allergy of every passenger. It’s absurd.

Do what’s best for you and your family to protect them. Sure.
In hindsight I agree. That being said do you think it is out of bounds to have the captain or flight crew to announce that there is a peanut allergy passenger on board? Could at least mention it?

I am surprised at the number of Captain picks. That guy's job is to get you from point A to point b, not protect you or your child from possible allergies. If your child has an allergy protect them, do not make that the job of strangers.
If the Peanut family wanted to ask their seatmates and those within a row, great, trying to inform the plane after the Capt said no is a rebuke of his decision, and they should have expected repercussions.

Can you imagine if this precedent was set?
Once that precedent is set, a captain may be forced to delay his flight departure because he is announcing whatever allergy may impact every damn passenger;

It’s crazy how intense food allergies can be. What's wrong with the Captain asking the cabin to eat snacks other than peanuts? Usually there are a few other options, even in coach. I doubt people would mind. Just a bit of kindness maybe.

Does the family do this everywhere? Do they go to a restaurant and insist no one sitting at a nearby table eat anything that might have nuts? A sporting event? A school event? The family is the one who needs to find means and methods for them to be able to function in a public place and not expect others to bend for them.
There might be something to be said for a bad allergy being triggered more easily when you're shoulder-to-shoulder in cramped quarters with total strangers for several hours. At least compared to those other scenarios.

That said, as dad was one step away from trying to open the cockpit door, he in particular shouldn't be surprised that the pilot and stewards didn't take kindly to that.

I voted both. There are people out there that claim they'll go into shock with certain perfumes or cologones; People that claim they are light or noise sensitive, etc. It goes a lot further than nuts.

There were steps that family could have taken, and there were probably other options for the pilot.

We live in a "me" culture for large segments of society.

In hindsight I agree. That being said do you think it is out of bounds to have the captain or flight crew to announce that there is a peanut allergy passenger on board? Could at least mention it?

Yes they could. However they are under no moral nor legal obligation to do that. Despite the protestations from the family using emotional blackmail.

Reactions: noleclone2
Going with the family. They sound like asshats the way he was pounding on cabin door and expecting the captain to make an announcement vs working with the flight attendants like 99.99% of other people on planes do for special circumstances. Let the captain stick to making sure you guys don’t die in a fireball instead of peanut allergies. Plus the kid will be fine if other people on plane are eating peanuts if they just stuck to working with people in seats surrounding them. The last thing that is a “Red Flag” to me is the 12 year old in the family selfie picture is trying to look 20. Probably already on social media trying to be an influencer and the parents are already probably helping ….and lookie here now - major publicity.

Last edited:
The Family’s entitled attitude is ruining society.

EVERYONE MUST COMPLY WITH MY NEEDS OR ELSE.

That is their position. Just dumb as hell.

1. Get an N95 mask for the daughter.
2. Wear it.
3. The family could choose to not take any food on the flight.
4. **** off on landing.

Instead, entitled prick thinks everyone needs to alter their entire experience to serve the family’s needs.

Ridiculous.
#1 exactly. Where a mask. Also, dumbass parents should have fed that baby peanut butter.

• Angry
Reactions: HawkMD
I don't have allergies but from my experience if you do you are just soft. I refuse to have any so just don't have allergies and you're better off. Playing life on hard difficulty doesn't give you a better ending.

• Angry
Reactions: HawkMD
I love eating peanut butter/peanuts on a flight as much as the next guy but if someone is going to take the time to make me aware that they or someone in their party has a peanut allergy and ask I not eat/open any peanut related food I'm going to assume it's serious enough that it out weighs my need for a salty snack. So kicking them off for simply spreading the word to other passengers seems a bit excessive*.

*If it comes out that they were intentionally delaying the boarding/take off process or going around slapping Reese's peanut butter cups out of people's hands then I reserve the right to change my mind.

**Also the dad banging on the cabin door is lucky he didn't get pancaked and hauled off the plane in handcuffs by an Air Marshall.

Last edited:
Yes they could. However they are under no moral nor legal obligation to do that. Despite the protestations from the family using emotional blackmail.
I am also wondering about liability issues. Should the Capt have said something and someone eats nuts anyway and the kids reacts, should the crew have been able to prevent that? I am leaning more towards no mention at all and leaving it up to the family to mention it to the people in close proximity…I don’t fly much and am absolutely thankful I don’t have to deal with anything like that..

Suppose the family can put in the request. But they should not expect something like that to be honored

It's not that hard to be respectful so I pick the captain. However, when someone says "I very politely asked..." they are almost certainly full of shit and were being loud and disrespectful. So I pick the dad.

So, both.

Reactions: alaskanseminole
It’s crazy how intense food allergies can be. What's wrong with the Captain asking the cabin to eat snacks other than peanuts? Usually there are a few other options, even in coach. I doubt people would mind. Just a bit of kindness maybe.
I have to monitor my blood glucose, and try to control it by diet instead of drugs. For me that means high protein and low carbs. But sometimes my blood glucose gets low. Peanuts are a great food for me, and I usually have some in my carryon bag.

If the company website mentions informing the flight crew of your allergies after boarding that points to the likelihood there’s a policy in place. If they didn’t operate according to the policy and more specifically the captain didn’t, then he’s at fault and ultimately the airline is.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT