ADVERTISEMENT

Amazon calling employees back to office 5 days a week

General Tso

HB Legend
Nov 20, 2004
Well, it was fun while it lasted? What was your favorite 'it doesn't matter where work gets done as long as it gets done' moment?

Well, it was fun while it lasted? What was your favorite 'it doesn't matter where work gets done as long as it gets done' moment?

So ALL big corporations are using the same tactic to "force shape" their organizations? Piss them off so they'll quit, that way we don't have to lay them off.

Last edited:
So ALL big corporations are using the same tactic to "force shape" their organizations? Piss off so they'll quit, that way we don't have to lay them off.
Step Brothers Yep GIF by reactionseditor

it will start to happen all over. Management will fix what aint broken. otherwise what purpose do they serve?

I'm not saying that WFH isn't broke. I'm just saying nothing ever stays the same in corporations. even if it's working. They swing back and forth and a lot of times it has nothing to do with getting better. it's just to give them something to do or show.

I suspect Arlington was bitching they weren’t getting the hotel returns promised from hq2

I am not anti-WFH. However, what I fail to wrap my head around is this---if it is indeed more productive (aka profitable) to allow employees to work from home, then wouldn't more companies be doing it? Or are we just so stuck in our old ways that conceding "control" by adopting WFH policies is worth the financial cost? My conclusion is that it is so variable-dependent (culture, leadership, particular industry, etc), that companies need to do what they think is best, and employees can find options elsewhere if necessary.

Every industry is going to be different and every role within that industry will have nuances unique. I can say that in my industry, it's time to be back in office because it's reached dysfunction.

A friend of ours works for Amazon in Atlanta and her entire team is in Seattle. She has to go to the local office 2-3 days a week to manage nobody. So it seems like they already had pretty ridiculous in-office policies before this news.

Reactions: kkhawk
WFH has worked for our "bean counter" money folks. Everybody else is back at work because the jobs require collaboration and hands on.

Experimented for a while during and after covid with WFH with those jobs but it didn't really work.

Prior to covid we had zero WFH.

CSB

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
A friend of ours works for Amazon in Atlanta and her entire team is in Seattle. She has to go to the local office 2-3 days a week to manage nobody. So it seems like they already had pretty ridiculous in-office policies before this news.

Our team is spread out all over. Those of us who live within 25 miles of an office have to show up once a week (they're changing it to 3 days a week next month). So a couple of us show up in Iowa, 1 shows up in Florida and the rest don't even need to show up since they're outside the 25 mile radius. It's pointless

Reactions: mattymoknows
it will start to happen all over. Management will fix what aint broken. otherwise what purpose do they serve?

I'm not saying that WFH isn't broke. I'm just saying nothing ever stays the same in corporations. even if it's working. They swing back and forth and a lot of times it has nothing to do with getting better. it's just to give them something to do or show.
My job is starting to crack down on WFH at least regarding allowing people to flex their office days if they wanted to, some people are abusing that privilege I guess. Hope it doesn’t mean having to go 100% in office again.
The "studies" that say working from home increases productivity are BS.

Some EE's are just as productive but the vast majority are not.
It all depends imo. Some people do well and others do not. Also depends on your particular situation. I work for Wells Fargo. Everyone I work with on a daily basis lives and works in different cities so everything we do is via teleconference, email and messenger, so all our collaborations are online already. Really not sure what the benefit is to being onsite in that sort of situation.

Reactions: mattymoknows
My job is starting to crack down on WFH at least regarding allowing people to flex their office days if they wanted to, some people are abusing that privilege I guess. Hope it doesn’t mean having to go 100% in office again.

It all depends imo. Some people do well and others do not. Also depends on your particular situation. I work for Wells Fargo. Everyone I work with on a daily basis lives and works in different cities so everything we do is via teleconference, email and messenger, so all our collaborations are online already. Really not sure what the benefit is to being onsite in that sort of situation.
What’s up wells bro!!!

Reactions: sober_teacher
Our team is spread out all over. Those of us who live within 25 miles of an office have to show up once a week (they're changing it to 3 days a week next month). So a couple of us show up in Iowa, 1 shows up in Florida and the rest don't even need to show up since they're outside the 25 mile radius. It's pointless
What's extra dumb is companies are paying good money for this pointless office space.

Has anyone explained why office jobs HAVE to be done in one specific building? It’s 2024, everything you need is on your laptop.
I don't have a single teammate in the area. 2 in Kentucky, one in Texas, 1 in Hungary, 1 in India. My boss is in the UK. I would be going into the office to sit by myself.

and I work 10-15 hours a week during off hours doing application/server maintenance, oncall duties, and testing. Sometimes 20 on top of a regular work week.

Why do we do anything in person? Why go to a restaurant or bar when we can eat and drink at home? Why go to a concert or a sporting event? Why go out shopping when you can buy pretty much anything online?

I don't have a single teammate in the area. 2 in Kentucky, one in Texas, 1 in Hungary, 1 in India. My boss is in the UK. I would be going into the office to sit by myself.

and I work 10-15 hours a week during off hours doing application/server maintenance, oncall duties, and testing. Sometimes 20 on top of a regular work week.
The rest of my team in is Amsterdam. Somehow we make it work 🤷‍♂️

Why do we do anything in person? Why go to a restaurant or bar when we can eat and drink at home? Why go to a concert or a sporting event? Why go out shopping when you can buy pretty much anything online?
I go to restaurants, bars, concerts and sporting events with family and friends. I don't see the value in forced social interactions. But that might just be the Larry David in me.

The next step will be to start consolidating locations by department imo. I've already seen my employer start down that path

This doesn’t really have anything to do with this thread, but you know that.

Every industry is going to be different and every role within that industry will have nuances unique. I can say that in my industry, it's time to be back in office because it's reached dysfunction.
this. A decent amount of software engineering was done from home offices before the pandemic and the WFH trend.

Why go to school in person when our kids can go to school online?

Has anyone explained why office jobs HAVE to be done in one specific building? It’s 2024, everything you need is on your laptop.
$$$$$$$. More people in the office means more need and higher prices for commercial real estate, parking decks, all the nearby businesses that benefit, more need for multi car households, on and on…

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT