ADVERTISEMENT

An observation only, not a criticism

TooTall25

HB All-State
Jun 6, 2013
Coralville
I have been a season ticket holder throughout the Ferentz years and a Hawkeye fan since I was a little boy in the Ray Nagle years. So I have seen a few games over the years. Here is my observation. With a little over 5 minutes left on the clock, and the Hawkeyes comfortably ahead 23-7, Iowa took possession of the ball in its own territory near mid-field. Prior to the last couple of years, our approach would have been run the ball exclusively, hope for a first down or two and run the clock down. Depend on the defense. However, yesterday we came out slinging it. In fact, we arguably used our most wide open approach of the day, including a long double move throw that almost led to a Nico Ragaini touchdown. I see this as evidence of a truly different philosophy that Coach Ferentz has developed over time. We will never be known as a wide-open offensive team that takes a lot of risks. However, this is not the old Kirk Ferentz. In fact, I would even propose that Hayden Fry's approach would also have been to run it conservatively in that circumstance. Interested in others' thoughts on this take.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News