ADVERTISEMENT

Kirk comments on NIL

LaQuintaHawkeye

HR Heisman
Dec 16, 2017

For those adverse to clicking news links:

Ferentz suggested that the portal and NIL have essentially deregulated collegiate sports. However, Ferentz also acknowledges that the more wide-open nature of the transfer portable has worked to the Hawkeyes' benefit at times.

"I think in general terms," Ferentz said at his spring press conference on Tuesday, via Football Scoop, "it's been good for us."

Ferentz suggested that the portal and NIL have essentially deregulated collegiate sports. However, Ferentz also acknowledges that the more wide-open nature of the transfer portable has worked to the Hawkeyes' benefit at times.

"I think in general terms," Ferentz said at his spring press conference on Tuesday, via Football Scoop, "it's been good for us."
Which portal player consistently helped us last year?

Reactions: TRHawkeye145

Why wouldn't a cash supported program like Iowa benefit from the changes?

It's a very fine line to walk for coaches commenting on NIL/portal.

They, like everyone else, know it's horseshit and terrible for college athletics, but they also absolutely have to embrace it, and hope to benefit from it in order to remain competitive at the highest levels.

It will come across as hypocritical, but they're in a no-win situation.

Any coach that has been outspoken against NIL and the transfer portal, and shied away from putting forth their best foot towards those changes, has come to find out how difficult it's going to be. Dabo Sweeney and Fran McCaffrey are two that come to mind in that regard........

Why wouldn't a cash supported program like Iowa benefit from the changes?

Just so we are clear, the media revenue that is a windfall to the Iowa's, Purdue's, Minnesota's of the conference CANNOT be directly used for NIL.

Also, some schools are "cash supported" by their donors, alumni, general public to a far greater degree than others. In other words, to truly benefit you need to be in a position that getting "out bid" for a player isn't much of a threat. Iowa isn't in that position currently, but they are better off then many others.

Just so we are clear, the media revenue that is a windfall to the Iowa's, Purdue's, Minnesota's of the conference CANNOT be directly used for NIL.

Also, some schools are "cash supported" by their donors, alumni, general public to a far greater degree than others. In other words, to truly benefit you need to be in a position that getting "out bid" for a player isn't much of a threat. Iowa isn't in that position currently, but they are better off then many others.
Exactly. The sky isn't falling.

Exactly. The sky isn't falling.
True, if we were in a MAC level conference. We're not.

I said "many", not most.

A majority of "P5" schools have ramped up and fully embraced the NIL aspect to recruiting (both for h.s. players and portal entries) ...Iowa not so much.

Iowa is probably in the lower 25% of the "P5" schools when it comes to this.

Need to be in the upper 25%.

True, if we were in a MAC level conference. We're not.

I said "many", not most.

A majority of "P5" schools have ramped up and fully embraced the NIL aspect to recruiting (both for h.s. players and portal entries) ...Iowa not so much.

Iowa is probably in the lower 25% of the "P5" schools when it comes to this.

Need to be in the upper 25%.
But its not the availability right?

There is money or would be. The program hasn't really embraced the NIL.
You would like to think so, but the Iowa fan base is wired differently than those at most schools. We tend to be more fiscally conservative with our discretionary spending. Overall change is tougher to accept. It may take longer to convince us to come around then say fans of Nebraska or even Wisconsin. Fans of the “blue bloods” were already there long before NIL became a thing, so we may never catch up to them.

NIL sucks in it's present form. Can you imagine if the NFL would allow some billionaire to simply buy all the best players and coaches?

Sports is fun because it's competitive. It's already top heavy, but it could get worse.

I can't believe the University Presidents and AD's are so quiet. Leaving it up to the Legislature is the worst possible idea.

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
You would like to think so, but the Iowa fan base is wired differently than those at most schools. We tend to be more fiscally conservative with our discretionary spending. Overall change is tougher to accept. It may take longer to convince us to come around then say fans of Nebraska or even Wisconsin. Fans of the “blue bloods” were already there long before NIL became a thing, so we may never catch up to them.
I'd like to think that other fan bases would come around to Iowa's way, but that's not going to happen. People that pour money into NIL so some players can make millions is beyond me.

I remember just a few years ago when we were on the brink of NIL, and some folks were saying if NIL was already a thing Garza could make $100,000. I thought that was completely and utterly ridiculous, I thought there was NO WAY any athlete could make that much! WRONG.

These COLLEGE athletes, that get tuition, room & board for free and tons of other benefits, already make more money with NIL than my adult children - who I paid to send to Iowa for school. It's absurd.

He’s smart enough to adapt. It’s coaching not butt screwing at the end of the day and that’s what he’s good at and gets paid the big bucks for.

He’s smart enough to adapt. It’s coaching not butt screwing at the end of the day and that’s what he’s good at and gets paid the big bucks for.
Let's hope so.

What we really need from him is to convince the big-boy donors that he's finally going to do what it takes to get the offense issues fixed, so that the team can continue to compete in the upper third of the newly expanded 18-school conference.

He also needs those same donors, along with the general '$100 donors', to understand that it will take a certain amount of NIL fund$ each year to bring in TALENT to offset defections/injuries/etc.

In other words, if fball programs like Neb, IL, Min and Wis can count on at least $3M in available NIL every year (just spit-balling, not sure of the actual number) then Iowa also has to be able to count on that amount as well.

Reactions: Bank of Hawk
NIL (Name, Image, and Likeness) legislation allows college athletes to profit from their personal brand and endorsements while still maintaining their amateur status. While there are various perspectives on how NIL will impact collegiate athletics, some argue that it could potentially hasten the end of the traditional model of amateurism in college sports. Here's how:

1. **Commercialization and Professionalization**: NIL opens the door for college athletes to monetize their talent and popularity, blurring the lines between amateur and professional athletics. As athletes increasingly capitalize on their NIL rights, collegiate sports may become more commercialized, resembling professional leagues where athletes are compensated for their performance and endorsements.

2. **Increased Disparities**: NIL opportunities may exacerbate existing disparities between elite athletes and those with less visibility or marketability. High-profile athletes in high-revenue sports like football and basketball may command lucrative endorsement deals, while athletes in lower-profile sports or smaller programs may struggle to attract sponsorship opportunities. This could widen the gap between "haves" and "have-nots" within collegiate athletics.

3. **Recruitment and Competitive Balance**: NIL incentives could impact recruitment and competitive balance within college sports. Wealthier programs may have a competitive advantage in recruiting top prospects by offering lucrative NIL opportunities, potentially concentrating talent at a few elite programs and widening the gap between powerhouse programs and smaller schools.

4. **Shift in Fan Loyalty**: As athletes become more prominent brands in their own right, fans may shift their allegiance from traditional team loyalties to individual players. This could diminish the sense of community and camaraderie associated with collegiate athletics, as fans focus more on supporting individual athletes rather than teams or institutions.

5. **Legal and Regulatory Challenges**: The implementation of NIL policies raises legal and regulatory challenges for colleges and universities, as well as for athletic governing bodies like the NCAA. Ensuring compliance with NIL regulations, monitoring endorsement deals, and addressing potential conflicts of interest present logistical and administrative hurdles that may strain the current collegiate athletics infrastructure.

While NIL offers new opportunities for college athletes to benefit from their talent and likeness, it also presents complex challenges and potential consequences for the future of collegiate athletics. As the landscape continues to evolve, stakeholders will need to navigate these changes thoughtfully to ensure the sustainability and integrity of college sports.

These COLLEGE athletes, that get tuition, room & board for free and tons of other benefits, already make more money with NIL than my adult children - who I paid to send to Iowa for school. It's absurd.
It is absurd, and it is a huge turn off to the traditional college fan.

We're in the infancy of NIL and I would like to think after a few more years it will level off and we'll reach some level of sanity. The rich, big money donors didn't get rich because they are foolish with money. How many years do these programs (aTm) throw millions and millions of NIL dollars at players only for it to blow up in their faces, spectacularly, and the season be a disaster? Did aTm's $30 million NIL payroll get them anything? No. I suspect we see the same result with Ole Miss this coming season.

If it does continue like this, with off seasons of mass transfers and millions of NIL being passed around, well, I'll be done. More time for me to go golfing or fishing.

NIL (Name, Image, and Likeness) legislation allows college athletes to profit from their personal brand and endorsements while still maintaining their amateur status. While there are various perspectives on how NIL will impact collegiate athletics, some argue that it could potentially hasten the end of the traditional model of amateurism in college sports. Here's how:

1. **Commercialization and Professionalization**: NIL opens the door for college athletes to monetize their talent and popularity, blurring the lines between amateur and professional athletics. As athletes increasingly capitalize on their NIL rights, collegiate sports may become more commercialized, resembling professional leagues where athletes are compensated for their performance and endorsements.

2. **Increased Disparities**: NIL opportunities may exacerbate existing disparities between elite athletes and those with less visibility or marketability. High-profile athletes in high-revenue sports like football and basketball may command lucrative endorsement deals, while athletes in lower-profile sports or smaller programs may struggle to attract sponsorship opportunities. This could widen the gap between "haves" and "have-nots" within collegiate athletics.

3. **Recruitment and Competitive Balance**: NIL incentives could impact recruitment and competitive balance within college sports. Wealthier programs may have a competitive advantage in recruiting top prospects by offering lucrative NIL opportunities, potentially concentrating talent at a few elite programs and widening the gap between powerhouse programs and smaller schools.

4. **Shift in Fan Loyalty**: As athletes become more prominent brands in their own right, fans may shift their allegiance from traditional team loyalties to individual players. This could diminish the sense of community and camaraderie associated with collegiate athletics, as fans focus more on supporting individual athletes rather than teams or institutions.

5. **Legal and Regulatory Challenges**: The implementation of NIL policies raises legal and regulatory challenges for colleges and universities, as well as for athletic governing bodies like the NCAA. Ensuring compliance with NIL regulations, monitoring endorsement deals, and addressing potential conflicts of interest present logistical and administrative hurdles that may strain the current collegiate athletics infrastructure.

While NIL offers new opportunities for college athletes to benefit from their talent and likeness, it also presents complex challenges and potential consequences for the future of collegiate athletics. As the landscape continues to evolve, stakeholders will need to navigate these changes thoughtfully to ensure the sustainability and integrity of college sports.
I think #4 should be "shift in player loyalty" as fans usually stick with a team, but NIL has stripped loyalty from the player aspect. I bolded the ones that I see as the biggest negatives.

It is absurd, and it is a huge turn off to the traditional college fan.

We're in the infancy of NIL and I would like to think after a few more years it will level off and we'll reach some level of sanity. The rich, big money donors didn't get rich because they are foolish with money. How many years do these programs (aTm) throw millions and millions of NIL dollars at players only for it to blow up in their faces, spectacularly, and the season be a disaster? Did aTm's $30 million NIL payroll get them anything? No. I suspect we see the same result with Ole Miss this coming season.

If it does continue like this, with off seasons of mass transfers and millions of NIL being passed around, well, I'll be done. More time for me to go golfing or fishing.
Or, it could go the other way. An "arms race", so to speak.

I'm not sure people get "smarter" when it comes to sports.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT