ADVERTISEMENT

Anamosa releases sewage into Wapsipinicon after equipment failure

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
An equipment failure Wednesday morning caused Anamosa to accidentally release 50,000 gallons of untreated sewage into the Wapsipinicon River, officials said.

The Iowa Department of Natural Resources is investigating the discharge discovered about 8:15 a.m. An equipment failure at the city’s wastewater plant lift station caused the sewage to flow into a storm drain leading to the river, the Iowa DNR reported.

City officials said the bypass has been corrected and cleanup has begun.

Downstream recreational users, such as anglers, should stay out of the river at this time, the Iowa DNR warned. No dead fish have been observed so far. The agency will follow up with the city for further assessment.

Anamosa, a city of about 5,300 in Jones County, is in the Iowa DNR’s Region 6, based in Manchester.

To report a release after hours, please call the Iowa DNR’s emergency spill line at (515) 725-8694. Quick reporting can help staff identify the cause of an incident. The Iowa DNR website has more information about spill reporting requirements.

• Angry
Reactions: Moral
I don't understand how this can happen. When you have 50,000 gallons of shit, how is it one equipment failure away from being released into fresh water? It would seem like multiple redundancies should be in place to prevent this from even being possible. This is as much the Iowa GOP's fault for deregulating the entire state as it is Anamosa for pouring shit into the water.

I don't understand how this can happen. When you have 50,000 gallons of shit, how is it one equipment failure away from being released into fresh water? It would seem like multiple redundancies should be in place to prevent this from even being possible. This is as much the Iowa GOP's fault for deregulating the entire state as it is Anamosa for pouring shit into the water.
The State hasn't been deregulated YET.

You're psychotic! lol

Reactions: waterboy4582
Jesus christ. One of my favorite rivers to fish. That's quite the friggin equipment failure.
Not sure why you had to bring him into this. Especially this close to Easter.

jesus GIF

Reactions: Moral
The GOP has gutted the DNR and its ability to regulate water safety.
They sure haven't let up on the potable water supply regs yet, and I know as I work in the field. Hard to believe it's happened on the sewer end.

Another loose end for the legislature and Kim to snip off. Stop forcing entities to acknowledge incidents like this.

Joking aside, this is really sad but nothing new given the status of Iowa’s water bodies. I’m an avid kayaker and a recovering avid fisherman. I have so many wonderful memories of fishing/kayaking the Wapsi…from Quaskie thru Troy Mills, Paris Bridge, Central City, Waubeek, etc. Until we put some value in Iowa waterways, this shit ain’t gonna change.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT