ADVERTISEMENT

Anglers: what's a good pole/reel setup for daughter and wife

Have a half dozen Ugly Sticks. They make great ultra lights and I landed a 26" walleye with one.

Haven't stopped in a couple years but for a long time you could get them at the outlet store for $13. Incredible value for what you get.
Tell that to @SansSouci. He says you can’t learn to fish with one. Despite all the great fish I’ve caught on mine over the years.

Being able to pick them up so cheap my kids all got these instead of "kiddie" rods.
I’m sure it’s why my gramps got me one too when I was a kid. I’ve upgraded the reel, but the pole has been fantastic for over 20 years.

Reactions: ghost80
I’m sure it’s why my gramps got me one too when I was a kid. I’ve upgraded the reel, but the pole has been fantastic for over 20 years.
27 years ago a family member gave me a Shimano lightweight combo. Nothing fancy and their middle of the road offering. Had been using it religiously as my dead rod and had caught thousands of perch, walleye, crappie, and bluegill. Over the winter the reel broke. Thought about buying a new one but decided to hang it on the wall instead. Lots of memories every time I see it.

FTR, last fish it caught was a keeper walleye on Spirit perch fishing last fall.

PocketFisherman1.JPG
Hell No

Reactions: GOHOX69 and ghost80
27 years ago a family member gave me a Shimano lightweight combo. Nothing fancy and their middle of the road offering. Had been using it religiously as my dead rod and had caught thousands of perch, walleye, crappie, and bluegill. Over the winter the reel broke. Thought about buying a new one but decided to hang it on the wall instead. Lots of memories every time I see it.

FTR, last fish it caught was a keeper walleye on Spirit perch fishing last fall.

It is amazing, the attachments we gain with gear we own.

I'm that way with my current boat. It's nothing fancy, 40 years old. But, it works perfect and is perfect for my needs currently. It is also a link back to my family and childhood given I inherited it from my father. It sat mostly unused for 30+ years, and I felt it deserved to be saved and used like we would have back then if our family had held together (all us kids left the nest).

When I got it, I had a fancy newer walleye boat, but I never really felt any connection to it. It was almost "too pretty to use". So, I sold it - I actually deliberately downgraded.

This boat however given its past...I'll use it until it dies. Every time I use it, I feel like a kid again.

Reactions: ghost80
Don’t listen to the Zebco and Ugly sticks bs. Zebco is garbage and Ugly Sticks should only be used to catch catfish.

St. Croix Bass X and a Shimano Nasci 2500 is the perfect all around cheap set up. If the you break the rod, $70 bucks and you’ll get a new one. You can get away with a Ugly Stick Gx2 if you’re a poor. Jk. They don’t break, but you’re not fishing. Just get a good setup and take care of it. Stay the f*** away from Zebco and Shakespeare reels. Just go to your local tackle place and try all posted. You’ll fall in love with my setup and might make it yours. The others will be heavy unbalanced junk. Don’t by her a push button, my kids were casting a spinning reels with ease as early as I can remember. My oldest at two. If you’re in the Waterloo area go to Hank’s, my son will set you up perfectly.
OP, make sure you get a good fishing boat as well, maybe something like this. You cant learn how to fish when from shore.

EDX54N4DRVAE7OTC2N4RYRL2DE.jpg

390B SeaVee with triple 350HP Yamaha outboards (current boat). Jose Wejebe introduced me to SeaVee in 2006. It didn't take long to realize that the fit and finish, ride, speed, range, stability, layout, and overall fishability were far superior to anything I had ever experienced.

• Fishability. I can utilize every inch of the boat, 360 degrees, to safely and effectively attack the fish. I have two livewells (65 and 70 gallons) and four tuna tubes.
  • Electronics. I have Simrad's NSO 15, NSE 12, and BSM-2 with chirp, which make navigating in the dense Mississippi River fog and at night much safer, and those poor fish can't hide from the chirp.
  • Speed. In the Gulf, we make long runs, sometimes up to 100 miles. I can cruise comfortably at 40 knots in 2- to 3-foot chop.
  • Quality Construction. Durability and attention to detail can make or break a boat. We put thousands of hours a year on this boat.
Estimated cost: In the high $300,000s

No way to whomever said an open face Pfeuger reel. Not for a 7 year old, unless they're hard core into fishing. I got zebco's for my kids and they fell apart after a few years. Not the same quality as when I was a kid.

Reactions: GOHOX69 and ghost80
No way to whomever said an open face Pfeuger reel. Not for a 7 year old, unless they're hard core into fishing. I got zebco's for my kids and they fell apart after a few years. Not the same quality as when I was a kid.

Right!

You started your child with a snoopy pole.
Get a Zebco 33 with a 5' pole and let her get used to the rod length casting for accuracy.
Your wife(no pic) might be able to adjust to an open face spinning like my wife(you don't want a pic)
has gotten very good casting into tight places for fishing gill/crappie in open spots of pads with it.
Best thing for both is practice at home casting at a coffee can to get the reps down for good casts.
Once that is conquered fishing becomes easier. And fun when you find a good spot.
Good luck.

Right!

You started your child with a snoopy pole.
Get a Zebco 33 with a 5' pole and let her get used to the rod length casting for accuracy.
Your wife(no pic) might be able to adjust to an open face spinning like my wife(you don't want a pic)
has gotten very good casting into tight places for fishing gill/crappie in open spots of pads with it.
Best thing for both is practice at home casting at a coffee can to get the reps down for good casts.
Once that is conquered fishing becomes easier. And fun when you find a good spot.
Good luck.

Should have clarified. No, they were zebco 202, but close. I don't know the model number but looks similar to the 202 when I was a kid could be drug through the mud and washed in the river then cast like it was new out of the box.

Reactions: Hendy hawk
Correct on Zebco quality......but unfortunately quality has become poor in much of what is manufactured today.

Wife has a pair of 33s. They work for her and that is what her dad taught her with.

The simplicity of a Zebco is less intimidating and has some merit for beginners.

I would suggest that because of the quality slide the 202 and 404 you may have used as a kid are not going to be suitable if you bought them today. If you would go with a Zebco I wouldn't go below a 33.

Mitchell reels are cheap AF and the Avocet I have is 20+ years old and works as well as the day I bought it. I use it on canoe/kayak trips on fast moving streams where the risk of losing gear is high.

I have plenty of high end gear, including custom made surf rods, which are probably the only equipment I own that make a significant difference in number of fish I catch, as I can cast them a lot further than the stuff they sell on the shelf.

OP is asking for a rig for his wife who has never fished. Suggesting a St Croix rod for her is just downright weird, regardless of OP’s financial means.
I've had a lot of luck with Mitchell reels on my Ugly Ultra Lights. My 2 medium Uglies both have Shimano reels (different ones).

I don't spend a lot of money on my fishing rods......but still more often than not I put more fish in the boat than others with the expensive stuff.

Knowing how to fish and how to use what you are fishing with is far more important than what you are fishing with.

You have a dumbass kid if they can’t use a open face.Seriously. My youngest was using and adjusting a baitcaster at that age. We had some Zebcos in the 70s and they were great. They’re straight garbage now. Use junk and it’s not enjoyable and you’ll never be hardcore, it’s not fun.

I guess there’s different levels of fishermen or fisherwoman. You guys suck and I’m right. Go get your bobber and wax worms. Lol

Bobber fisherwoman, go with junk then. Fisherwomen throwing cranks and jigging you want feel. Even floating if drop offs with a 1/4 ounce sinker and a crawler fishing for walleye I want sensitivity for a kid. I guess we just start fishing early, my family has lived on the river before Waterloo was Waterloo. I grew up on an Island on the Cedar. My grandfather has been in articles for fishing many times. You do you with garbage and my 11 y/0 will outfish you. I’m a dick.

Ugly stick and a Zebco is child abuse. You guys are just dumbing down fishing and over complicating it. I’m dropping it now.

You have a dumbass kid if they can’t use a open face.Seriously. My youngest was using and adjusting a baitcaster at that age. We had some Zebcos in the 70s and they were great. They’re straight garbage now. Use junk and it’s not enjoyable and you’ll never be hardcore, it’s not fun.

I guess there’s different levels of fishermen or fisherwoman. You guys suck and I’m right. Go get your bobber and wax worms. Lol

Bobber fisherwoman, go with junk then. Fisherwomen throwing cranks and jigging you want feel. Even floating if drop offs with a 1/4 ounce sinker and a crawler fishing for walleye I want sensitivity for a kid. I guess we just start fishing early, my family has lived on the river before Waterloo was Waterloo. I grew up on an Island on the Cedar. My grandfather has been in articles for fishing many times. You do you with garbage and my 11 y/0 will outfish you. I’m a dick.

Ugly stick and a Zebco is child abuse. You guys are just dumbing down fishing and over complicating it. I’m dropping it now.
Child abuse would be what dad threatened to do to us with a steel bullhead rod.

We have steel rods, but they were made from aircraft antennas. We have a museum of over 50+ mint motors with manuals. Homemade steel rods from everything and countless unused lures. It’s truly a fishing museum. Why is the bullhead rod steel and can I buy it? Maybe my dad has factory steel rods, but I can only think of one that wasn’t an antenna. Anyway, do you have any of those rods?

Oh, I’m sorry you got your ass whooped by it. Lol. You had it coming.

. I guess we just start fishing early, my family has lived on the river before Waterloo was Waterloo. I grew up on an Island on the Cedar. My grandfather has been in articles for fishing many times. You do you with garbage and my 11 y/0 will outfish you. I’m a dick.

I have a hunch your vacation fishing expectations are not in line with the OP's.

We have steel rods, but they were made from aircraft antennas. We have a museum of over 50+ mint motors with manuals. Homemade steel rods from everything and countless unused lures. It’s truly a fishing museum. Why is the bullhead rod steel and can I buy it? Maybe my dad has factory steel rods, but I can only think of one that wasn’t an antenna. Anyway, do you have any of those rods?

Oh, I’m sorry you got your ass whooped by it. Lol. You had it coming.
I'll have to get it down from overhead in the garage and take a look at it. Could be aircraft antenna..had never thought about it or looked that close.

We called them bullhead rods because back in the 60s and 70s they were very popular with "bleders". Unfortunately that was dads idea of fishing. Mom would overcook them in straight cornmeal which is why I hate bullheads today.

Sorry. Not for sale. While not really
Attached to it, it is the only fishing item salvaged from my youth. FTR, dad never had to use it...only threatened.

Edit. Since you have an interest in this stuff. Reel is an open face filled with black cloth cord/line.

Last edited:
I'll have to get it down from overhead in the garage and take a look at it. Could be aircraft antenna..had never thought about it or looked that close.

We called them bullhead rods because back in the 60s and 70s they were very popular with "bleders". Unfortunately that was dads idea of fishing. Mom would overcook them in straight cornmeal which is why I hate bullheads today.

Sorry. Not for sale. While not really
Attached to it, it is the only fishing item salvaged from my youth. FTR, dad never had to use it...only threatened.

Edit. Since you have an interest in this stuff. Reel is an open face filled with black cloth cord/line.

Iowans love there bullheads or used to. My mother’s side of the family that can’t fish to save their lives had a place in Waterville, MN. “The bullhead capital of the world.” Minnesotans make fun of Iowans for their love of bullheads or past love. I used to hate going there after fishing with my father’s side of the family for game fish on the Canadian border. My Buddhist self now hates what I did to bullheads if I caught one when I was younger. They’re tuff as hell. Thoreau even wrote about their resilience n Walden Woods.

Got the little one a Zebco 33 pink lady with matching ugly stick. Practiced at the lake in our neighborhood and she was doing well. We will see if we catch anything

Reactions: Hendy hawk
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT