ADVERTISEMENT

Another Abuse Scandal at a B1G school where Officials Knew & Did nothing

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
First, we had Penn State & Sandusky.

Then there was Michigan State & Nassar.

And now this. At least 177 victims over 18 years. Employment records shared by Ohio State reflect no major concerns about Dr Strauss before he retired in 1998. However, alumni said they complained as early as the late 1970s, and Ohio State has at least one documented complaint from 1995.

I hope fOSU gets sued for billions.

From ESPN.com:

Ohio St. leaders knew of former doctor's abuse

1:32 PM CT

At least 177 men were sexually abused by an Ohio State team doctor who died years ago, the university said Friday as it released findings from a law firm that investigated the accusations, concluding that school leaders knew at the time.

The claims about Richard Strauss span from 1979 to 1997 -- nearly his entire time at Ohio State -- and involve athletes from at least 16 sports, plus his work at the student health center and his off-campus clinic.

Of the 177 men, 145 were identified as athletes from a list of sports that includes wrestling, gymnastics, swimming and diving, soccer, lacrosse, hockey, track and field, baseball, cross country, fencing, volleyball, tennis, football, cheerleading and golf.

According to the report, more than half of the abuse reports came from athletes assigned to the practice facility where Strauss worked as a team physician.

Many of the men who have spoken publicly said they were groped and inappropriately touched during physical exams. Some said they were ogled in locker rooms where athletes talked about Strauss' behavior, referring to him with nicknames like "Dr. Jelly Paws."

Perkins Coie, the law firm hired to conduct the investigation for the school, interviewed hundreds of former students and university employees.

The investigation found Strauss' abuse took a variety of forms. Those included forcing student patients to strip naked to purportedly "assess" their conditions, fondling their genitals to the point of erection or ejaculation and luring them into intimate situations by setting up bogus medical studies.

One student, a 14-year-old high school wrestler at the time of Strauss' abuse, told investigators Strauss molested other minors during the course of the doctor's work with high schools and an Ohio State wrestling camp. No other such accounts were included in unredacted portions of the report.

At least 50 members of the athletic department staff corroborated victims' accounts of Strauss' abuse, the report said. But students' allegations never left the department or the health center until 1996.

In releasing the report, university president Michael Drake offered"profound regret and sincere apologies to each person who endured Strauss' abuse." Drake said the findings were "shocking and painful to comprehend," called them a "fundamental failure" of the institution and thanked survivors for their courage.

The university said it has begun the process of revoking Strauss' emeritus status.

The men say that more than 20 school officials and staff members, including two athletic directors and a coach who is now a congressman, were aware of concerns about Strauss but didn't stop him. Most of those claims are part of two related lawsuits against Ohio State that are headed to mediation.

The university has said the law firm's work included determining what Ohio State and its leaders knew during Strauss' tenure.

The independence of the investigation has been questioned by some of Strauss' accusers, including some of the lawsuit plaintiffs, their attorneys and the whistleblower who helped to spur the investigation last spring.

Ohio State has sought to have the lawsuits thrown out as being time-barred by law, but university leaders have insisted they are not ignoring the men's stories.

On Friday, some of Strauss' victims called on the university to take responsibility for its inaction and the harm inflicted by the doctor.

"Dreams were broken, relationships with loved ones were damaged, and the harm now carries over to our children as many of us have become so overprotective that it strains the relationship with our kids," former swimmer Kent Kilgore said in a statement.

Steve Estey, an attorney for some of the former students who are suing, said Ohio State should take care of the victims, as it promised six months ago.

"We hope that the report will force OSU to take responsibility for its failure to protect young students," he said. "If OSU refuses to take responsibility, we will continue with civil litigation and put this in front of a jury for 12 people to judge their actions."

The U.S. Department of Education Office for Civil Rights also is examining whether Ohio State responded "promptly and equitably" to students' complaints.

Strauss, a well-regarded physician and sports-medicine researcher, killed himself in 2005.

No one has publicly defended him, though his family has said it was shocked by the allegations. Like the school, the family said it was seeking the truth about him.

Employment records shared by Ohio State reflect no major concerns about Strauss before he retired in 1998. But alumni said they complained as early as the late 1970s, and Ohio State has at least one documented complaint from 1995.

Former Ohio State president Gordon Gee said he has no memory of complaints about Strauss sexually abusing male students.

Gee, who is now the president at West Virginia, served as OSU president from 1990 to 1998 and 2007 to 2013. He said he has always taken allegations brought to his attention seriously.

The State Medical Board of Ohio said it never disciplined Strauss but acknowledged having confidential records about the investigation of a complaint involving him. Records of board communications indicate Ohio State reported Strauss to the medical board at some point but include no details.

Strauss' personnel records indicate he previously worked at five other schools. None of those has said any concerns were raised about him.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Last edited:
Beginning to think this happened to some extent at just about all schools and people are finally getting the courage to bring it up.

Reactions: MarkRules
If the student was aware that 2 AD’s and a coach knew but did nothing they might be concerned that reacting might not be in their best interest. Not surprised that Gee claims no knowledge. He always seemed to be unaware of anything.

This makes absolutely no sense to me. I can't imagine that anyone would want to protect a team doctor. Why, on Earth, would an AD ignore complaints about someone like this that has zero impact on the field?

Also, this ...

WHY DOES THIS SH*T KEEP HAPPENING???

The men say that more than 20 school officials and staff members, including two athletic directors and a coach who is now a congressman, were aware of concerns about Strauss but didn't stop him. Most of those claims are part of two related lawsuits against Ohio State that are headed to mediation.
Even if proven true, does anyone really think the NCAA is going to do anything more significant to tOSU than slap them lightly on the wrist?

Reactions: rivalhawks
Even if proven true, does anyone really think the NCAA is going to do anything more significant to tOSU than slap them lightly on the wrist?
I think this will be like Penn State where no NCAA violations technically were committed. The NCAA tried to hammer Penn State but then, later, rescinded the punishments.

Criminal trials and civil lawsuits are likely to follow, although it appears fOSU is trying to settle with the victims thru mediation.

First, we had Penn State & Sandusky.

Then there was Michigan State & Nassar.

And now this. At least 177 victims over 18 years. Employment records shared by Ohio State reflect no major concerns about Dr Strauss before he retired in 1998. However, alumni said they complained as early as the late 1970s, and Ohio State has at least one documented complaint from 1995.

I hope fOSU gets sued for billions.

From ESPN.com:

Ohio St. leaders knew of former doctor's abuse

1:32 PM CT

At least 177 men were sexually abused by an Ohio State team doctor who died years ago, the university said Friday as it released findings from a law firm that investigated the accusations, concluding that school leaders knew at the time.

The claims about Richard Strauss span from 1979 to 1997 -- nearly his entire time at Ohio State -- and involve athletes from at least 16 sports, plus his work at the student health center and his off-campus clinic.

Of the 177 men, 145 were identified as athletes from a list of sports that includes wrestling, gymnastics, swimming and diving, soccer, lacrosse, hockey, track and field, baseball, cross country, fencing, volleyball, tennis, football, cheerleading and golf.

According to the report, more than half of the abuse reports came from athletes assigned to the practice facility where Strauss worked as a team physician.

Many of the men who have spoken publicly said they were groped and inappropriately touched during physical exams. Some said they were ogled in locker rooms where athletes talked about Strauss' behavior, referring to him with nicknames like "Dr. Jelly Paws."

Perkins Coie, the law firm hired to conduct the investigation for the school, interviewed hundreds of former students and university employees.

The investigation found Strauss' abuse took a variety of forms. Those included forcing student patients to strip naked to purportedly "assess" their conditions, fondling their genitals to the point of erection or ejaculation and luring them into intimate situations by setting up bogus medical studies.

One student, a 14-year-old high school wrestler at the time of Strauss' abuse, told investigators Strauss molested other minors during the course of the doctor's work with high schools and an Ohio State wrestling camp. No other such accounts were included in unredacted portions of the report.

At least 50 members of the athletic department staff corroborated victims' accounts of Strauss' abuse, the report said. But students' allegations never left the department or the health center until 1996.

In releasing the report, university president Michael Drake offered"profound regret and sincere apologies to each person who endured Strauss' abuse." Drake said the findings were "shocking and painful to comprehend," called them a "fundamental failure" of the institution and thanked survivors for their courage.

The university said it has begun the process of revoking Strauss' emeritus status.

The university has said the law firm's work included determining what Ohio State and its leaders knew during Strauss' tenure.

The independence of the investigation has been questioned by some of Strauss' accusers, including some of the lawsuit plaintiffs, their attorneys and the whistleblower who helped to spur the investigation last spring.

Ohio State has sought to have the lawsuits thrown out as being time-barred by law, but university leaders have insisted they are not ignoring the men's stories.

On Friday, some of Strauss' victims called on the university to take responsibility for its inaction and the harm inflicted by the doctor.

"Dreams were broken, relationships with loved ones were damaged, and the harm now carries over to our children as many of us have become so overprotective that it strains the relationship with our kids," former swimmer Kent Kilgore said in a statement.

Steve Estey, an attorney for some of the former students who are suing, said Ohio State should take care of the victims, as it promised six months ago.

"We hope that the report will force OSU to take responsibility for its failure to protect young students," he said. "If OSU refuses to take responsibility, we will continue with civil litigation and put this in front of a jury for 12 people to judge their actions."

The U.S. Department of Education Office for Civil Rights also is examining whether Ohio State responded "promptly and equitably" to students' complaints.

Strauss, a well-regarded physician and sports-medicine researcher, killed himself in 2005.

No one has publicly defended him, though his family has said it was shocked by the allegations. Like the school, the family said it was seeking the truth about him.

Employment records shared by Ohio State reflect no major concerns about Strauss before he retired in 1998. But alumni said they complained as early as the late 1970s, and Ohio State has at least one documented complaint from 1995.

Former Ohio State president Gordon Gee said he has no memory of complaints about Strauss sexually abusing male students.

Gee, who is now the president at West Virginia, served as OSU president from 1990 to 1998 and 2007 to 2013. He said he has always taken allegations brought to his attention seriously.

The State Medical Board of Ohio said it never disciplined Strauss but acknowledged having confidential records about the investigation of a complaint involving him. Records of board communications indicate Ohio State reported Strauss to the medical board at some point but include no details.

Strauss' personnel records indicate he previously worked at five other schools. None of those has said any concerns were raised about him.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Urbs says, "Phew now maybe people will forget about my problems."

I hope the "coach who is now a congressman" is that scumbag Jim Jordan (R).
Why in the hell do you have to bring politics into a sports discussion? There are plenty of "scumbags" on both sides of aisle according to American's opinion of congress. I'll refrain from naming Dems who I believe fall in that category. However, there is a senator who claims he fought in VN who was never there. I lost many friends while I was flying helicopters in that sorry affair.

Why in the hell do you have to bring politics into a sports discussion? There are plenty of "scumbags" on both sides of aisle according to American's opinion of congress. I'll refrain from naming Dems who I believe fall in that category. However, there is a senator who claims he fought in VN who was never there. I lost many friends while I was flying helicopters in that sorry affair.

Thank you for your service!

Maybe because Jordan was a wrestling coach during the time these crimes happened and has been named in a couple of the lawsuits.

Beginning to think this happened to some extent at just about all schools and people are finally getting the courage to bring it up.
You are really going down that road? Absolutely despicable and to try and dismiss it as commonplace flies in the face of common sense, rational thought, and personal accountability.

Which has been proven to be totally inaccurate and the guy that lied has been discredited. So, again facts matter. But, it is my understanding this board is for Iowa sports not for BS politics.

Which part of my post is inaccurate? Him being a wrestling coach during that time or him being named in a couple of lawsuits? Because you know, facts matter.

Funny, I've never heard you chime in when many of the conservative tools on this board blame all the ills of society on the left (daily occurrence), but thanks for letting us know what your politics are in this sports discussion. Let the cheerleading resume.....

Anyone else notice it's at these schools that are always known for winning? It's almost like these schools have broken the rules for years and now they're finally getting caught.

We should leave the b1g and head to the sec. They seem like a cleaner conference, or at least their shithole schools do a better job of hiding it!

OSU deserves to be hit with sanctions from now until the end of time.

First of all, I hope that every victim in this case gets whatever monetary settlement is agreed upon between them and OSU, because the administration that was in charge at that time failed on so many levels, but the NCAA can't punish the current administration for something that happened 18 years ago, when none of the current administration was employed by OSU.
If it were me and that doctor touched me the wrong way, there would've been a murder investigation going on at OSU during that time, but it's hard to put yourself in the person's shoes that was being abused at that time. I can see being embarrassed that it happened or thinking it's his word against mine, but anyway you look at it, it was wrong and I wish it never happened.

First of all, I hope that every victim in this case gets whatever monetary settlement is agreed upon between them and OSU, because the administration that was in charge at that time failed on so many levels, but the NCAA can't punish the current administration for something that happened 18 years ago, when none of the current administration was employed by OSU.
If it were me and that doctor touched me the wrong way, there would've been a murder investigation going on at OSU during that time, but it's hard to put yourself in the person's shoes that was being abused at that time. I can see being embarrassed that it happened or thinking it's his word against mine, but anyway you look at it, it was wrong and I wish it never happened.
Back out trying to do more damage control, huh? Seems like you were here last year doing the same thing......

Back out trying to do more damage control, huh? Seems like you were here last year doing the same thing......
Not really...This has nothing to do with the football team or with the NCAA, but I was just saying that it was a tragic thing that happened to those involved.

And you may want to add, not found to have known or done anything.
Yep he was low man in the totem pole. I'm sure he was at least aware of the Doctors reputation but unlike the Red head from PSU minded his own business.

They sure can punish them. It is "institutional" control or lack thereof. Whether they do or not is another story.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT