ADVERTISEMENT

Another International Ruling the US Will Ignore. This Time It's the Environment. Again.

Nov 28, 2010
Maryland

Maritime Tribunal Issues Ruling Holding Governments Responsible for Ocean Pollution​

May 23, 2024

In environmental news, an international maritime tribunal issued a ruling that says greenhouse gases are pollutants that can cause irreversible harm to the marine environment and that governments must “adopt laws and regulations to prevent, reduce, and control” them.

Though the ruling is nonbinding, small island nations on the frontlines of the climate crisis hailed it as a “groundbreaking victory,” and it’s likely to lead to more cases against the largest polluters.

The decision affects 165 countries that ratified the U.N. Convention on the Law of the Sea — the United States is not one of them.

I'm not going down the rabbit hole for my own answers, so I'll just ask my question here.

Is this another one of those things where a bunch of countries agree that something should be done and they try to bring the U.S. on board to pay for it all?

I think they’re just waiting in line because the Chinese are holding everyone up.
That and the fact so many ships are not even registered in the US.
Now…garbage? Maybe. How long ago did NYC stop hauling its garbage out to sea and dumping it? Those elites in Manhattan create trash too.

Funny thing about international treaties. They usually don't bind you if you don't sign them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT