New Study: Trans Suicide Rates Double After Gender Surgery​

• headphone stoped

• more

Ad

Follow
5.4K Followers
Story by Michelle Harler
• 20h • 3 min read
A groundbreaking study has brought to light alarming findings regarding the mental health of transgender individuals who have undergone genital surgery. The research, which investigated the rates of psychiatric emergencies and suicide attempts before and after gender-affirming surgery, has uncovered a disturbing trend that demands immediate attention and action. The study’s results shed light on the complex challenges faced by the transgender community and the urgent need for comprehensive mental health support throughout the transition process.

Doubled Suicide Attempt Rates After Vaginoplasty​

One of the most shocking revelations from the study is the dramatic increase in suicide attempt rates following vaginoplasty. The research found that the overall rates of suicide attempts doubled from 1.5% to 3.3% (p=0.017) after this particular gender-affirming surgery. This finding highlights the immense psychological toll that the transition process can take on individuals and the critical importance of providing ongoing mental health support.

Higher Prevalence of Suicide Attempts in Vaginoplasty Group​

The study also revealed that suicide attempts were more common among patients who underwent vaginoplasty compared to those who had phalloplasty. In the vaginoplasty group, 4.4% of patients attempted suicide, while only 1.7% of patients in the phalloplasty group had a similar experience (p=0.033). This disparity suggests that individuals undergoing vaginoplasty may be at a higher risk of experiencing severe mental health challenges and require additional support and intervention.

Psychiatric Encounters Before and After Surgery​

The research found that a significant proportion of patients in both the vaginoplasty and phalloplasty groups experienced psychiatric encounters before and after their surgeries. Among the vaginoplasty group, 22.2% (193 patients) had at least one psychiatric encounter, while 20.7% (74 patients) in the phalloplasty group had a similar experience. These findings underscore the high rates of mental health challenges faced by transgender individuals throughout the transition process.

Increased Risk for Patients with Prior Psychiatric Emergencies​

The study identified that patients with a history of prior psychiatric emergencies were at a higher risk of experiencing mental health challenges after gender-affirming surgery. The rate of a psychiatric encounter occurring after surgery, given a prior episode before surgery, was 33.9% for the vaginoplasty group and 26.5% for the phalloplasty group. This finding emphasizes the need for targeted mental health support and intervention for individuals with a history of psychiatric emergencies.

Comparing Suicide Attempt Rates to the General Population​

The study revealed that the observed rate of suicide attempts in the phalloplasty group was similar to that of the general population. However, the vaginoplasty group’s rate was found to be more than double the general population’s rate. This alarming statistic highlights the unique and profound challenges faced by individuals undergoing vaginoplasty and the urgent need for specialized support and resources.

Importance of Pre-Surgical Counseling and Post-Surgical Follow-Up​

The findings of this study underscore the critical importance of comprehensive pre-surgical counseling and post-surgical follow-up for transgender individuals undergoing gender-affirming surgery. The research calls for the development of targeted interventions and support systems to address the mental health needs of this vulnerable population, particularly those undergoing vaginoplasty or those with a history of prior psychiatric emergencies.

Call for Further Research and Comprehensive Support​

The study’s alarming findings serve as a wake-up call to the medical community and society at large, highlighting the urgent need for further research into the factors contributing to the increased risk of suicide attempts after gender surgery. The research also emphasizes the importance of developing comprehensive, compassionate, and accessible mental health support services for transgender individuals throughout their transition journey.

Can we be honest and state the obvious? Anyone who believes they are someone who they are not, has mental problems. I'm not saying that to be dismissive or uncaring, I'm just stating the obvious. So, it seems likely that suicide rates amongst this group would be higher prior to and after any type of gender altering procedure.

Unfortunately this issue has garnered a political component which has made any real solution extremely controversial and difficult, and that is the real problem.

Can we be honest and state the obvious? Anyone who believes they are someone who they are not, has mental problems. I'm not saying that to be dismissive or uncaring, I'm just stating the obvious. So, it seems likely that suicide rates amongst this group would be higher prior to and after any type of gender altering procedure.

Unfortunately this issue has garnered a political component which has made any real solution extremely controversial and difficult, and that is the real problem.
Often times, not always but often enough many of these people have been the victim of sexual assaults in their lives. They're traumatized but self-mutilation doesn't appear to make things better, in fact the data suggests it is making it worse.

Chopping off your C&Bs doesn't save lives

New Study: Trans Suicide Rates Double After Gender Surgery​

• headphone stoped

• more

Ad

Follow
5.4K Followers
Story by Michelle Harler
• 20h • 3 min read
A groundbreaking study has brought to light alarming findings regarding the mental health of transgender individuals who have undergone genital surgery. The research, which investigated the rates of psychiatric emergencies and suicide attempts before and after gender-affirming surgery, has uncovered a disturbing trend that demands immediate attention and action. The study’s results shed light on the complex challenges faced by the transgender community and the urgent need for comprehensive mental health support throughout the transition process.

Doubled Suicide Attempt Rates After Vaginoplasty​

One of the most shocking revelations from the study is the dramatic increase in suicide attempt rates following vaginoplasty. The research found that the overall rates of suicide attempts doubled from 1.5% to 3.3% (p=0.017) after this particular gender-affirming surgery. This finding highlights the immense psychological toll that the transition process can take on individuals and the critical importance of providing ongoing mental health support.

Higher Prevalence of Suicide Attempts in Vaginoplasty Group​

The study also revealed that suicide attempts were more common among patients who underwent vaginoplasty compared to those who had phalloplasty. In the vaginoplasty group, 4.4% of patients attempted suicide, while only 1.7% of patients in the phalloplasty group had a similar experience (p=0.033). This disparity suggests that individuals undergoing vaginoplasty may be at a higher risk of experiencing severe mental health challenges and require additional support and intervention.

Psychiatric Encounters Before and After Surgery​

The research found that a significant proportion of patients in both the vaginoplasty and phalloplasty groups experienced psychiatric encounters before and after their surgeries. Among the vaginoplasty group, 22.2% (193 patients) had at least one psychiatric encounter, while 20.7% (74 patients) in the phalloplasty group had a similar experience. These findings underscore the high rates of mental health challenges faced by transgender individuals throughout the transition process.

Increased Risk for Patients with Prior Psychiatric Emergencies​

The study identified that patients with a history of prior psychiatric emergencies were at a higher risk of experiencing mental health challenges after gender-affirming surgery. The rate of a psychiatric encounter occurring after surgery, given a prior episode before surgery, was 33.9% for the vaginoplasty group and 26.5% for the phalloplasty group. This finding emphasizes the need for targeted mental health support and intervention for individuals with a history of psychiatric emergencies.

Comparing Suicide Attempt Rates to the General Population​

The study revealed that the observed rate of suicide attempts in the phalloplasty group was similar to that of the general population. However, the vaginoplasty group’s rate was found to be more than double the general population’s rate. This alarming statistic highlights the unique and profound challenges faced by individuals undergoing vaginoplasty and the urgent need for specialized support and resources.

Importance of Pre-Surgical Counseling and Post-Surgical Follow-Up​

The findings of this study underscore the critical importance of comprehensive pre-surgical counseling and post-surgical follow-up for transgender individuals undergoing gender-affirming surgery. The research calls for the development of targeted interventions and support systems to address the mental health needs of this vulnerable population, particularly those undergoing vaginoplasty or those with a history of prior psychiatric emergencies.

Call for Further Research and Comprehensive Support​

The study’s alarming findings serve as a wake-up call to the medical community and society at large, highlighting the urgent need for further research into the factors contributing to the increased risk of suicide attempts after gender surgery. The research also emphasizes the importance of developing comprehensive, compassionate, and accessible mental health support services for transgender individuals throughout their transition journey.
I am curious about the terminology. It talks about the suicide rate of the general population as a comparative number. Is that suicide rate of trans in the general population, or just the general population as a whole? For this to be of value, I would think it would have to compare suicide rates in their own focus group.

Reactions: praguehawk

INTRODUCTION AND OBJECTIVE:​

Despites rates of comorbid psychologic illness in cases of gender dysphoria being estimated to be 70% greater than the general population, there is a dearth of literature concerning this topic. In this study we aimed to assess rates of psychiatric emergencies before and after gender affirming surgery in a large population-based cohort.

METHODS:​

All persons undergoing feminizing (vaginoplasty) and masculinizing (metoidioplasty/ phalloplasty) genital gender affirming surgery were identified in California from 2012-2018 from the Office of Statewide Health Planning and Development datasets using appropriate ICD-9/10 codes. All emergency room and inpatient psychiatric encounters were identified (noting those involving suicide attempts). Rates of these encounters were calculated before and after gender affirming surgery (using date of first operation if staged). On average, patients had a balanced two years of observation before and after their surgery.

RESULTS:​

Overall, 869 and 357 patients were identified undergoing vaginoplasty and phalloplasty with 193 (22.2%) and 74 (20.7%) having at least one psychiatric encounter (Table 1). Although the overall proportion of those experiencing a psychiatric encounter was similar between the vaginoplasty and phalloplasty groups, suicide attempts were more common in the vaginoplasty group (4.4% vs. 1.7%, p=0.033). The rate of a psychiatric encounter occurring after surgery if an episode prior surgery occurred was 33.9% and 26.5% for the vaginoplasty and phalloplasty groups. The overall rates of suicide attempts doubled (3.3 vs 1.5%, p=0.017) after vaginoplasty (effect not observed after phalloplasty).

CONCLUSIONS:​

Rates of psychiatric emergencies are high both before and after gender affirming surgery. Although both the phalloplasty and vaginoplasty patients have similar overall rates of psychiatric encounters, suicide attempts are more common in the later. In fact, our observed rate of suicide attempts in the phalloplasty group is actually similar to the general population, while the vaginoplasty group's rate is more than double that of the general population. Patients undergoing GAS with a history of prior psychiatric emergences or feminizing transition are at higher risk and should be counseled appropriately.

I'll believe the data, but you need to compare to those who wanted affirming surgery but weren't able to get it to see a true comparison.

Of course. But the usual suspects skipped over this step.

Extra point though for citing an actual study rather than their own research.

Reactions: cigaretteman
Suicide is a very serious issue and should be treated as such. If anyones knows or suspects a friend or relative who may be in a bad situation please get involved.
Nothing I am posting is denying or challenging anything in the posted study.

Taking into account that those who chose to get the mommy parts are still genetically men the numbers in this study corrolates with the suicide rate amongst males and females in the non transitioned genders.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/grap...torical-chart-comparison-graphic/71737857007/

The overall rate listed in my link shows a ratio of 1 female to 4 males in the US population tries to commit suicide.

"Small government" in full support of the government telling people what they can and cannot do with their bodies.
Didn't California just pass a law saying they can take your kid away from you if you don't go along with their 5 year old's gender change fantasy? Seems kind of fvcked up, no? Especially now that we are seeing England ban puberty blockers after seeing the decades results of them?

I find it easy to believe that the suicide is higher in the trans communities when so many hate filled bigots anonymously attack them on social media, and energize callous politicians who craft laws that marginalize them and dehumanize them. It’s sadly easy to see why young people take that path when family rejects them. When society rejects them. When society decides how they can live their lives, or decides they cannot exist as they are.

Suicide rates are highest with Vets. But no one talks about that. Nope we need to do studies on these people. They need the help don't get me wrong, but we first have to figure out why a XX thinks they are a XY and vice versa.

Reactions: THE_DEVIL
Ya, telling men they can't dress in front of young girls and that men wanting to be women can't take advantages and opportunities away from women, is the girls fault.:rolleyes:

You can be whatever or whomever you want, just don't expect the rest of society to bend over backwards to accept your choices. A transwomen's rights shouldn't trump an actual women's rights. There is an old saying, your rights stop at the end of my nose.

Honestly, I think this is a pretty good post.

I agree for some kids there probably is a mental health component to gender dysphoria.

With that said, I also think we need to look at the data from the perspective of continued bullying and how to provide better support services to transgender youth.

Honestly, I think this is a pretty good post.

I agree for some kids there probably is a mental health component to gender dysphoria.

With that said, I also think we need to look at the data from the perspective of continued bullying and how to provide better support services to transgender youth.
Yeah, this is a major component, too. They’re very much a minority group, they’ve traditionally had to live in the shadows and even with some growing acceptance, trans do not have the broader acceptance the gay/lesbian communities have gained in the last couple decades (that’s not perfect, either, though). Trans are an absolute target for legal and societal marginalization and, in some cases, criminalization. If we’re going to seriously study the suicide rates, we need the broader societal averages, averages amongst those that do not have access to the care they desire and then also study to attempt to measure the influence of the marginalization/bullying.

Interesting findings; the difference in the base number of vaginoplasties compared to phalloplasty during the years studied. I wonder if there is still such a large gap in the number since the end of the data set used. (2018)

side note on the author
The study was published in 2021. The information may be new to her, but the conclusions have been available for over 3 years, and I hate clickbait titles.

I find it easy to believe that the suicide is higher in the trans communities when so many hate filled bigots anonymously attack them on social media, and energize callous politicians who craft laws that marginalize them and dehumanize them. It’s sadly easy to see why young people take that path when family rejects them. When society rejects them. When society decides how they can live their lives, or decides they cannot exist as they are.
Who needs to do it anonymously? Not me... if some psycho wants to press me about it, I'm all too happy to let them know they can keep their crazy away from me.

Anyone achieving legal age, and having been found to be in full control of their mental faculties, should have the personal right to do whatever they want with their body, up to and including suicide... Pretty well covers it.

Reactions: Chuck C
I've not heard anyone say that suicide rates double after surgery, only that they don't go down. The suicide rate for trans people is high. Way too high. We all agree on that. But they don't really improve once someone gets the surgery. That would suggest that the person has problems beyond their physical, outward appearance and that steering minors toward permanently disfiguring and reproductively sterilizing surgery and hormone treatments might not be the way to go.

Yet no doctors agree with you and you lack a medical license. Your lack of intellect doesn't change the fact that it isn't a mental illness.

Yet no doctors agree with you and you lack a medical license. Your lack of intellect doesn't change the fact that it isn't a mental illness.
So, if you believe you are a dog, bark at the mailman and lift your leg on the sofa, we're not supposed to believe you have a mental illness? Should you be allowed to participate in the Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show? But you are correct, I'm not a MD, but I wasn't aware one needed to be a doctor to recognize the obvious.:rolleyes:

• Love
Reactions: KFsdisciple
So, if you believe you are a dog, bark at the mailman and lift your leg on the sofa, we're not supposed to believe you have a mental illness? Should you be allowed to participate in the Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show? But you are correct, I'm not a MD, but I wasn't aware one needed to be a doctor to recognize the obvious.:rolleyes:
Why do you need to believe anything about other people? Live your life and stay out of others. What you do in your life might not work for anyone else. Lots a Christians on her don't act like Christians to trans people.

Suicide rates are highest with Vets. But no one talks about that. Nope we need to do studies on these people. They need the help don't get me wrong, but we first have to figure out why a XX thinks they are a XY and vice versa.
I shudder to think what it must be among vets with PTSD who decide the “cure” is to cut off the ole cockaroonie.
Seriously there should always be dedicated help for any of those souls among us who are thinking of ending their lives.

• Love
Reactions: Sharky1203
No doctors? None? Or just those who choose to opine on the subject?
I lack a medical license and therefore don’t claim to be a qualified judge. Do YOU have an MD or DO after your name?

Why do you need to believe anything about other people? Live your life and stay out of others. What you do in your life might not work for anyone else. Lots a Christians on her don't act like Christians to trans people.
I'm sorry you misunderstood my point. I have no ill will toward anyone and have no right belittling anyone for anything. What I'm trying to say, is one can live their life anyway they choose and it is no one else's business. However, do not tell someone else that they have to accept your personal choices and make special accommodations for you and those choices. Do not put women and/or girls in uncomfortable situations by being required to dress and undress in front of a biological male. Do not take awards, scholarships and success away from women by participating in sports specifically designed for women only. Wanting to be a women or feeling like a women is not physically the same as being a women.

You want more acceptance from society at large, stop stomping on everyone's toes and then complaining about not being appreciated.

Wouldn’t that be a choice of the Westminster Kennel Club? Should the government step in on that?

• Haha
I shudder to think what it must be among vets with PTSD who decide the “cure” is to cut off the ole cockaroonie.
Seriously there should always be dedicated help for any of those souls among us who are thinking of ending their lives.
Guess that was my point. Anyone wanting to off themselves should be helped. No matter what statistic they are.

Why do you have to be such a bigot against furries? These are people too, they weren't just born into the wrong body, they were born into the wrong species! They need our LOVE not our hate. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

But when they bite someone... we do have to put them down...

Google the great commission real christians should be intervening.

When the LGBTQ community decides they need to shut down city streets so they can walk around damn near naked because they have pride or something... they lose their right to just be left alone. If you act like a clown, expect a circus.

Reactions: hawkedoff
Google the great commission real christians should be intervening.

When the LGBTQ community decides they need to shut down city streets so they can walk around damn near naked because they have pride or something... they lose their right to just be left alone. If you act like a clown, expect a circus.
Ah yes. Was that in the book of Paul or Luke?

Ever notice how so many of the pro life people, the all life is sacred people, don't care if trans citizens take their own life? Oh, Kimmie has Ts and Ps, but no effort to govern for her citizens.

Ever notice how so many of the pro life people, the all life is sacred people, don't care if trans citizens take their own life? Oh, Kimmie has Ts and Ps, but no effort to govern for her citizens.
To be honest, taking ones own life could be considered a personal choice, the baby was not given the opportunity to make a choice.

Ever notice the people willing to kill the babies in the womb aren't satisfied with only getting some of them, so we have to mutilate the rest almost as a warning to the others... have your baby if you want, but we're going to get it one way or another...

If we can't trans 'em, we'll gay 'em, if we can't gay 'em then we will make them oppressors riddled with guilt.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT