ADVERTISEMENT

Any cool stories from the weekend?

lucas80

HR King
Gold Member
Jan 30, 2008
The wife and I were hiking in Minnesota on Friday and saw a Scarlet Tanager, which in the forest is kind of rare. It landed in a tree near us and stayed stationary for a minute to indulge a picture. We were sidetracked by a trail that had turned into a creek, so we had to backtrack the way we had come, and saw a black bear 50 feet in font of us. It turned to face us, lifted its nose to give us a whiff, and ambled into the woods. It was a young male.
CSB.

I did the usual things any competent man that doesn’t have to call another competent man to do his man things would do, Plumbing, electrical, HVAC and yard work. I drank a beer and cooked a steak and celebrated my masculinity today.

Im not a train person, but I did get to see this badass retro looking GM Aerotrain experimental locomotive from 1955. Had some other cool cars at the museum but this 1 of 3 was built before they scrapped the plan. Passenger focused and had some design features for the transport cars that were pretty cool, just not tenable.

Aerotrain_1950%27s_stylin%27.jpg

Last edited:
My SIL(np) was the featured artist at the Wayzata(MN) art show so we decided to give her a surprise visit, she was very excited to see us. We stopped at a nice vegan restaurant in Rochester, Old Abe Coffee Co. on the way. I got the Bohn Mi and my NP got a “salmon” bagel, we split them and they were both delicious. On the way home, we stopped in Rochester again for supper, this time at Foragers Brewery and got some really good vegan dishes again. I got the Voodie burger and she got the Jackfruit BBQ sandwich, both were great.
I was drinking Climbing Kites and IPA’s most of the day so I was feeling good. It was a great Saturday!

My SIL(np) was the featured artist at the Wayzata(MN) art show so we decided to give her a surprise visit, she was very excited to see us. We stopped at a nice vegan restaurant in Rochester, Old Abe Coffee Co. on the way. I got the Bohn Mi and my NP got a “salmon” bagel, we split them and they were both delicious. On the way home, we stopped in Rochester again for supper, this time at Foragers Brewery and got some really good vegan dishes again. I got the Voodie burger and she got the Jackfruit BBQ sandwich, both were great.
I was drinking Climbing Kites and IPA’s most of the day so I was feeling good. It was a great Saturday!
I didn't know you were gay.

Caught a CWS game with my son. Had a really great time. Tried to pick a favorite based on our assessment of fan bases, but everyone was super nice and jovial so we just decided to pull for whoever was losing so it would make for more excitement (come backs and whatnot). Tennessee was down big but with those bats it was like they were never out of it. Both fan bases knew it and it was exciting all the way to the end. Pretty cool environment. We didn’t get a Runza though, so that was a miss.

I was actually supposed to go to the kickoff party Friday but it was cancelled and rained so much yesterday didn’t drive over. Did it turn out decent?

!

Reactions: InsaneHawkJJP
The wife and I were hiking in Minnesota on Friday and saw a Scarlet Tanager, which in the forest is kind of rare. It landed in a tree near us and stayed stationary for a minute to indulge a picture. We were sidetracked by a trail that had turned into a creek, so we had to backtrack the way we had come, and saw a black bear 50 feet in font of us. It turned to face us, lifted its nose to give us a whiff, and ambled into the woods. It was a young male.
CSB.
What part of MN did you see this black bear?

Im not a train person, but I did get to see this badass retro looking GM Aerotrain experimental locomotive from 1955. Had some other cool cars at the museum but this 1 of 3 was built before they scrapped the plan. Passenger focused and had some design features for the transport cars that were pretty cool, just not tenable.

Aerotrain_1950%27s_stylin%27.jpg
Saw one of those at the National Transportation museum in St. Louis last weekend.

Took TBW to Stomp last night. Not as good as I was hoping but it was enjoyable and we had great seats. Today mostly did stuff around the house but absolutely nailed a beer can chicken on the smoker. Even made potatoes/gravy and carrots to go with it. Even my picky 3 year old ate everything.

I was actually supposed to go to the kickoff party Friday but it was cancelled and rained so much yesterday didn’t drive over. Did it turn out decent?

!
There were lots of good artists and decent food trucks. They had a Toppling Goliath beer there that I was enjoying.
We got there about 1:30, it started raining at around 2 and continued for a good hour or so. SIL said it was a good morning and foot traffic was picking up as we were leaving. Sunday was supposed to be beautiful so hopefully she sold some more paintings.

I took several hikes in the woods this weekend. They were all unplanned and I didn't enjoy them very much. Entered the woods cussing, exited them still cussing. Not a fan of hiking in the woods while searching for a wayward Titleist. 😞

• Haha
Reactions: HawCory and CaboKP
The train collection in the back is extensive. We could have taken more time but we had to drive back to Des Moines that day.

We walked back there briefly, but 91 deg and with multiple small kids, they were done. This Super White Power loco bus was cute next to all the full size locomotives. Kids did think the running street car was neat.

itc206a.jpg

Reactions: JWolf74
Nothing much. Talked up a couple no pic hotties at the gym Friday afternoon, met up with them Saturday afternoon into the evening for drinks and dinner then back to their place for a threesome. Golf and softball Sunday. Just a normal weekend.

CSB.
I thought you were DT MPLS you lying SOS! lol

Reactions: RicoSuave102954
Golfed all weekend and spent the remainder of my time being concerned about the flooding in NW IA but not doing anything about it. Someone should do somethin about it but I'm not going to.

Cool stories? No, no cool stories. Only hot stories. To wit:

1. Yesterday Mrs. A and rode for 3 hours in 95 degree heat in NoVa. I drank ~80 oz of fluid on the ride, which by my math is somewhere near five pounds. I came out of the ride with a net loss of 3 pounds, which by my math is something on the order of an 8 pound aggregate fluid loss. That's almost 5% of my total body weight.
2. More disturbingly, the night before that, I took my younger dog out for a walk. We're currently living in an apartment for the next couple of weeks until our new place in Lexington opens up, and the apartment has something of a reputation as a divorcee haven. So as we go down the hall, we pass this high-60s, somewhat leathery woman, who looks at my dog, smiles at me, and says, "Aw. I wish someone would take me for a walk. My name's Deborah." Mrs. A was ROTFLMAO when I told her.

Had a long weekend that started with a charity golf tournament on Thursday at Blue Top. It raised over $250k for the Give Foundation that connects injured/disabled Iowa veterans to the game of golf. They had an auction to add Cade McNamara to your golf team but we stopped bidding when it reached $4k. Great tournament and that course still kicked my ass even when playing best ball.

Spent most of the weekend out on the boat. When we weren't boating we were biking around DM to farmers market and other places.
Last night my 9 yr old and the neighborhood kids were having their nightly game of ghosts in the graveyard when they saw all these cops and ambulances drive by. They heard fire works so they figured someone got hurt, so they ran over to the park to see what was happening. There was a guy that was shot and the police chased another car and the guys jumped out and ran. The cops tackled one of the guys and arrested him. The other guy was running around the neighborhood, so the kids ran home and we locked up the house. Don't think they caught the runner. But three people ended up in the hospital with gun shots over this.
Neighbor posted a video of "Police looking for the suspect" in her yard but it was clearly our 12 year old neighbor with a flashlight looking for the ghost. 😂
https://www.kcci.com/article/west-des-moines-shooting-crossroads-park-leaves-3-injured/61232631

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT