ADVERTISEMENT

Any mafia aficionados or historians here on HBOT?

BrianNole777

HB Heisman
Jan 27, 2023
I love everything mafia related like books, documentaries and movies. I've been into it for 20 years now...at least. Specifically, the Italian-American mafia.

My favorite movie of all time is "Goodfellas." I've seen it 100+ times easily. I like to tell people it's "loosely based on my life" which they know is a joke since I'm a ginger born and raised in suburbia with 0% Italian ancestry.

The movie "Goodfellas" is based on the book "Wiseguy" which is a great book if you haven't read it. "Donnie Brasco" the movie is based on a book which is also amazing about Joe Pistone who was an FBI agent who went undercover and details the day to day life in the mob.

The two craziest mobsters I can think of were Roy DeMeo and Tommy Pitera. Both of them killed and dismembered dozens of victims. A book called "Murder Machine" was written about Roy DeMeo and his activities in Brooklyn which may be the best mob book ever. Tommy Pitera is still alive and in prison. I wrote him a letter in 2015 after I read a book about him called "Mafia Psychopath" which probably wasn't a smart move. He never wrote me back. :)

I think Tommy Pitera probably killed 40 people himself.

The mob has been in decline since the 1980's with the RICO act. Ironically, Rudy Giuliani was the prosecutor that helped smash them before he went crazy.

I've been to Little Italy in New York a few times. It's awesome.

CSB.

Here's a good documentary on the Gambino Crime Family.

Anyone else a mob fan?

I love everything mafia related like books, documentaries and movies. I've been into it for 20 years now...at least. Specifically, the Italian-American mafia.

My favorite movie of all time is "Goodfellas." I've seen it 100+ times easily. I like to tell people it's "loosely based on my life" which they know is a joke since I'm a ginger born and raised in suburbia with 0% Italian ancestry.

The movie "Goodfellas" is based on the book "Wiseguy" which is a great book if you haven't read it. "Donnie Brasco" the movie is based on a book which is also amazing about Joe Pistone who was an FBI agent who went undercover and details the day to day life in the mob.

The two craziest mobsters I can think of were Roy DeMeo and Tommy Pitera. Both of them killed and dismembered dozens of victims. A book called "Murder Machine" was written about Roy DeMeo and his activities in Brooklyn which may be the best mob book ever. Tommy Pitera is still alive and in prison. I wrote him a letter in 2015 after I read a book about him called "Mafia Psychopath" which probably wasn't a smart move. He never wrote me back. :)

The mob has been in decline since the 1980's with the RICO act. Ironically, Rudy Giuliani was the prosecutor that helped smash them before he went crazy.

CSB.

Anyone else a mob fan?

Yep. I've gone down the mafia rabbit hole in the past. Some good youtube videos out there of people traveling around Brooklyn and NYC to visit mafia places. Sadly nothing is really around any more. I was in NYC in May and walked around Mulberry street and looked up gangland slayings and would check them out live, but most of them have been turned into retail stores and things but still cool to see the doors to the upstairs apartments where a lot of mafia discussions and things went down.

I've also checked out mafia places in Chicago, New Orleans, Los Angeles and Kansas City.

I like the Sammy the bull interviews, where he talks about the mafia being a shell of their former selves because of technology and things, everytime someone new comes along they're thrown in prison for life, so it's fallen apart. Also because of cameras and things they can't do the hit's like they did in the past.

It's still very real in Italy though. I binged the Gomorrah and Suburra blood on rome shows if you haven't seen them, they're excellent. Subtitles are the way to go.

Some really good mafia podcasts out there.
One series I listened to did about one hour on 10-12 different guys.

Not a good life, they all pretty much ended up murdered.

Reactions: BrianNole777

CSB.

Anyone else a mob fan?

Check out this book if you have a minute. It's a pretty quick read. Great history of the KC mob. I lived in the original Little Italy neighborhood from 2008 to 2012 and many of the old names in the book are still around. It is pretty wild.

81v12KUOCPL._SL1500_.jpg

Love a good mob movie (The Godfather and II are the best). This book was a good read, even if you don't believe Frank Sheeran's claim. He mentions Joe Biden in the book. That part didn't make the movie, which I thought was slow and too long.

R.ee2f6568fce1a1a324ce7eff9e12414c

CSB.

Anyone else a mob fan?

You need to visit the Mob Museum in Vegas. I wanted to see that while I was there but couldn't cram it in.

Love a good mob movie (The Godfather and II are the best). This book was a good read, even if you don't believe Frank Sheeran's claim. He mentions Joe Biden in the book. That part didn't make the movie, which I thought was slow and too long.

R.ee2f6568fce1a1a324ce7eff9e12414c

I'm ashamed to admit I haven't seen the entire "Godfather" series.

CSB time.

I went out to Philly back in the early 2000's to catch a Phillies game and see some friends. One of my buddies is friends with a guy that is connected so we ended up at a local spot with a bunch of them. That was an adventure, especially after about 15 whiskey shots. I did end up leaving with a nickname, Kansas City Prime. They were fun to hang around with a shoot the shit, but there isn't a single one of them I would want to piss off. Yikes.

Edit to add - My buddy got a visit from the FBI at one point because of his connection to the friend.

Last edited:

CSB.

Anyone else a mob fan?

I know someone who knows someone who knew Carlos Marcello.

• Wow
There are a lot of interesting stories out there about biker gangs.

Advice to HBOT: don't get involved in a biker gang. I may or may not have represented someone affiliated with SOS. Still scares me. Good thing I moved years ago.

Advice to HBOT: don't get involved in a biker gang. I may or may not have represented someone affiliated with SOS. Still scares me. Good thing I moved years ago.
Interesting you say that, as @The Tradition was going on and on about how soft SOS was and how they couldn’t find him.

I knew a lady (no pics) that was a waitress in Michigan during college and she waited on biker gangs from time to time.

She said they were awful.

CSB.

Reactions: Jimmy McGill
The

CSB.

Anyone else a mob fan?

The gingers have their own mafia my main man. Ever see Road to Perdition?

• Haha
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT