ADVERTISEMENT

Any noticeable improvement in cell and internet service in and around Kinnick this weekend?

icu81222

HB All-American
Dec 4, 2008
Just curious if there was any improvement with the recent upgrades that were made.

I doubt it will ever be as good as it is without so many people around but hopefully it is a bit better.

There certainly wasn't at the first game, I didn't try much on Saturday, BUT, I was able to make a call at the concession stand during a break. Does that mean it was better? I don't know, but I remember that usually failing.

I rarely have issues at Kinnick but I'm usually watching the game ;) Can check internet for updated scores, upload pics to FB, etc. Jack Trice was a totally different scenario . . .couldn't do anything in the stands. Texts were slow. Got back to the parking lots and everyone was getting texts that were sent hours before.

I was able to send/receive texts, which is generally problematic. Attempts to check other scores failed. AT&T.

Just curious if there was any improvement with the recent upgrades that were made.

I doubt it will ever be as good as it is without so many people around but hopefully it is a bit better.

If you weren't a poor and actually went to the games, you could find out for yourself. And my guess is the cheap skate OP doesn't even have a phone with internet service, lol. Nice try OP.

Couldn't do anything while inside Kinnick..and i sat in the top row at row 79. So you'd THINK that would be the best place to get service.
Have Verizon.

I have US Cellular and a GS5. I have had good service for both games. This week, I was posting on here and checking score updates well into the first half, and then again at half time. I didn't use my phone for much in the second half.

I was able to upload two 20-30 second videos in the 2nd quarter and immediately after the game. No issues at all for me with cell and internet.

I have US Cellular and a GS5. I have had good service for both games. This week, I was posting on here and checking score updates well into the first half, and then again at half time. I didn't use my phone for much in the second half.

I was able to upload two 20-30 second videos in the 2nd quarter and immediately after the game. No issues at all for me with cell and internet.

Its not that bad when your cell phone doesn't look like this.

places-sell-old-cell-phones-800x800.jpg

So it is better for some. Probably just need to continue more upgrades.

Its not that bad when your cell phone doesn't look like this.

I tried to send one picture before the Illinois State game, attempting to show our new location to others in the stadium. Not a chance. It attempted to send throughout the game, after the game, and didn't go through til we hit Stellas.

Provider seems to be an issue. They're encouraging all this social media stuff, sponsored by US Cellular, and my Verizon and Virgin Mobile phones can't even get a text sent.

I have Verizon and iPhone and sit in press box. I can't get score updates as I tried several times Sat. night. I never tried to call anyone. I wish the service would improve.

I have Verizon and iPhone and sit in press box. I can't get score updates as I tried several times Sat. night. I never tried to call anyone. I wish the service would improve.
If the big spenders in the box can't get scores I doubt anyone does.

Tried to text, check scores and peek at both Twitter and Hawkeye Report during halftime. No luck with anything except the texts, which sent about an hr later. Verizon, iPhone 6.

It seems like a pretty universal situation for Verizon customers. None of them are able to get through. I've previously had a lot of respect for Verizon, though I've never used their service. I'm glad I don't have them now. I'm sorry for those out there who aren't able to make use of their Verizon devices.

I have Verizon and thought the week 1 game was better than last year. But this last weekend it was back to be horrible again, unable to get any data communication. Did not try to make calls/texts.

I have T-mobile...... and I had no voice or text anywhere around the stadium, before, during or after the game

That is also a good clarification. How was it outside stadium and at tailgating?

Personally, I would expect data to be slow or nonexistent. Texting and calling would be nice to be able to do normally

I have Verizon and Kinnick was a blackhole of service for me (texting/browsing/phone calls). :(

I disagree that it is a Verizon issue. Their network is still outstanding generally. T-Mobile and Sprint also fail at Kinnick (Virgin Mobile uses the Sprint network). US Cellular customers are fine, and I see US Cellular's corporate branding all over Hawkeye-related stuff. Coincidence?

I disagree that it is a Verizon issue. Their network is still outstanding generally. T-Mobile and Sprint also fail at Kinnick (Virgin Mobile uses the Sprint network). US Cellular customers are fine, and I see US Cellular's corporate branding all over Hawkeye-related stuff. Coincidence?

I have only my own experience and the consistent notes above from other users. I see that a T-Mobile customer also said he had a problem. Maybe US Cellular has some sort of signal-blocking going on? I doubt that, as I'm sure that would be highly illegal. Maybe they've just made a better effort to blanket the stadium with access points.

As a USCC customer, I'm not complaining, regardless of what sort of conspiracies are afoot.

US Cellular probably has the fewest customers, giving those customers the best chance to get through.

I could have sworn I saw a pic last week of a new US Cellular tower going up near Kinnick, in addition to the Verizon one a few weeks ago. But can't find any US Cellular info.

I work in the cell-phone industry. From what I read the tower (or temp apparatus) was put up by US Celluar. Hence, the reason only folks with US Celluar experienced decent service. US Celluar subscribers will be working off that tower in Kinnick. If you are with AT&T/ VZ/Sprint/T-Mobile your phone is not working off that added tower.

Due to the cost one carrier has to pay another carrier it's unusual to have a AT&T phone working off a say US Celluar tower/network unless cost beneficial (cheaper than building service towers in area).

It was misleading for the school to say service would be improved.

I work in the cell-phone industry. From what I read the tower (or temp apparatus) was put up by US Celluar. Hence, the reason only folks with US Celluar experienced decent service. US Celluar subscribers will be working off that tower in Kinnick. If you are with AT&T/ VZ/Sprint/T-Mobile your phone is not working off that added tower.

Due to the cost one carrier has to pay another carrier it's unusual to have a AT&T phone working off a say US Celluar tower/network unless cost beneficial (cheaper than building service towers in area).

It sounds like the other carriers need to take some action for their customers, then.

Reactions: icu81222

I have verizon. I was able to get to simple web pages and send/receive texts, sometimes after the 2nd or third try. This is a huge improvement from prior years of no service whatsoever.

Verizon. I was able to get one text message around 8:30. Couldn't send anything. And even with my phone on airplane mode for 3/4 of the game, the battery still went way down. I managed to send three texts a few minutes after the game ended and then my phone died. I even got a message that said "Could not activate cellular data network."

US Cellular probably has the fewest customers, giving those customers the best chance to get through.

I could have sworn I saw a pic last week of a new US Cellular tower going up near Kinnick, in addition to the Verizon one a few weeks ago. But can't find any US Cellular info.

I think I read an article talking about the proposed improvements to the north side of the stadium, in which (I believe) Gary B was quoted that UI admin reached out to all major carriers about cell-phone/data service improvement opportunities in Kinnick, and only Verizon responded. They built a tower near the base-ball field, which according to the article, should principally benefit the folks in the west stands.

I have Verizon service and an iPhone6. I noticed distinctly better data service when I was surfing the net, about 50 rows up at the 50 yd line prior to the game. This is no where near what it is when I'm in areas with good service, but it's noticeably better than compared to last year.

When I attempted the same kinda stuff in our seats 9 rows up, near the student section, it was back to the usual; I could send/receive texts (with a lot of lag) but no images or surf the net.

When we were at the Iowa-Iowa State game, the service was excellent in their stadium.

My last game was Iowa State last year and I sat near the South End Zone and I had cell reception all game long. Verizon for what its worth.

I would guess the university doesn't know very much about how this works. It probably isn't so much their fault as the fault of the carriers for this. The university probably made some assumptions

I have Verizon and can only send and receive texts, Internet is non existent. The guy sitting in front of me was face timing most of the game he must have had USCC).

I spoke with a USCC engineer a few weeks back and he told me they have cell towers built into Kinnick

Reactions: BSB19
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT