ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone else catch Kirk mutter the word "retirement" in his on-the-field postgame interview?

HawkBall23

HR Legend
Gold Member
Oct 6, 2001
The reporter asked him something about trying to use this game's offensive efforts & production towards betterment going forward - I think - and part of his answer was about focusing on the next game and leaving retirement & other concerns for after the season is over.

Maybe it was just a slip of the tongue and a rambling of his running emotional thoughts after a good win, but it caught be my surprise a bit that he said that after supposedly pledging to come back next season a week ago.

He said that a coach would contemplate his overall wins as a coach's during the off season or retirement. He did say "off season" first.
he didn’t even say him. He said numbers and stats are for someone to think during an off season or retirement. It was just answering a question about his win total.

It’s just another sound bite for social media to distort.

The reporter asked him something about trying to use this game's offensive efforts & production towards betterment going forward - I think - and part of his answer was about focusing on the next game and leaving retirement & other concerns for after the season is over.

Maybe it was just a slip of the tongue and a rambling of his running emotional thoughts after a good win, but it caught be my surprise a bit that he said that after supposedly pledging to come back next season a week ago.
Ya. He’s going to retire & let it slip tonight.

He really hates Beth.

She made the necessary decision but executed it poorly time wise.

he didn’t even say him. He said numbers and stats are for someone to think during an off season or retirement. It was just answering a question about his win total.

this makes sense…but hardly something that indicates imminent retirement…

He said that a coach would contemplate his overall wins as a coach during the off season or retirement. He did say "off season" first.
this. he was saying he can contemplate having more wins than bo shem. or winning the big ten title... in his retirement or off season, but now just contemplate this win.

Reactions: hawkdave007
He said that a coach would contemplate his overall wins as a coach during the off season or retirement. He did say "off season" first.
You're right, I misremembered what he was responding to when the said it.

But still, retirement was a slightly odd choice to include in his answer, considering everything going on away from the field what with the announcement of Brian's firing after the bowl game and I'm sure that if hasn't been directly asked about it possibly effecting his near future, its been alluded to in his pressers.

See his telling Dolph on 'Hawk Talk' that he's got a couple more years in the tank for reference.

No.

You’ll be surprised when you get to your sixties how little you want to retire.
Not quite there, but I absolutely can’t wait to retire. This is obviously an individual decision and preference. Plenty of people short of 60 are itching to retire, myself included.

As for the topic of the thread, I think it’s about time for KF to move on, but I could understand completely that he would want to become the all-time winningest coach in Big Ten history. He’s about 2 seasons away. I’d probably shoot for that milestone if I were he. As long as he hires a competent OC and actually lets him run the offense independently for a change, I’m all for it.

Reactions: MAXIMUSHAWKEYE
It leaked. Her timing hand was forced,
People keep saying that, yet somehow the AD already had the press release written by the weekend before the announcement. (Kirk said in his presser that he saw the statement over the weekend.) It’s strange that you would have a press statement ready to go if you had no plans to release it.

The only thing that matters is getting the Team ready to beat Illinois and to lock up the West, anything else right now is a distraction .

I think Kirk mentioning retirement might be due to not hearing the question well. I could see him thinking 'production towards retirement'... Maybe on field and noise????

Freudian slip. Why even say retirement? Does Brett think about wins and retirement in the offseason? And Brian still has his job if this offense showed up earlier.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT