ADVERTISEMENT

Ben Kueter on Playing TWO Sports for Next 4-5 Years: "I’m in the greatest place in the world to try."

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
Nice column today from Chad Leistikow of the Des Moines Register.

Leistikow: At Iowa football fall camp, Ben Kueter determined to excel in two-sport plan

Chad Leistikow
Des Moines Register
Aug 16, 2023

IOWA CITY − The parade of home-grown University of Iowa student-athletes who have become national sensations continues to be remarkable.

A recent sampling includes:

And now, another Iowa-raised phenom is about to start fall classes as a UI freshman: World wrestling champion Ben Kueter of Iowa City.

70579418007-hawks-15.jpg

Ben Kueter is determined to be successful in both football & wresting at the Division I level. Kueter is a 2022 junior-world freestyle wrestling champion at 97 kilos (213 pounds).

Kueter’s story will be one of the most unique yet. Because even though in August 2022 he became the first male Iowa high schooler to win a junior-world wrestling title since fellow City High product Jeff McGinness in 1992, Kueter is currently spending most of his athletic hours learning how to play middle linebacker for the Hawkeyes’ football team. He will wrestle for the Hawkeyes’ high-profile program, too, but it’s football season currently – a message wrestling coach Tom Brands has reinforced to Kueter.

“He was like, ‘During football, play football. Just enjoy football, have fun with that,’” Kueter said at Iowa football’s media day. “I’m not really wired like that. I’m here for wrestling and football, so I’m going to try to get wrestling workouts during the football season. I’m going to do that as long as I can.”

The journey to becoming a Division I athlete is daunting in one sport, let alone two. In recent years, two accomplished athletes tried to pull off a two-sport plan and couldn’t, at least not to their planned degree. Connor McCaffery’s health issues began in his freshman year, and he wound up leaving baseball behind for basketball. Brecht gamely tried to juggle football and baseball, and he ultimately defaulted to the sport that gave him the highest professional ceiling.

Football and wrestling are arguably the two most physically grueling endeavors, especially at a place like Iowa with such high standards in both sports.

Can Kueter, 19, really pull off this demanding double – and excel at a high level – for four to five years?

That’s the plan.

“Oh, yeah. I’m in the greatest place in the world to do that,” Kueter said. “The coaches are great. The resources are great. It’d be stupid of me not to do it for as long as I could.”

During a recent non-practice day for football, Kueter went into head coach Kirk Ferentz's office and asked for permission to leave the team hotel and take part in an Iowa wrestling workout.

5246ae59-c2c1-4a55-b5cd-30617e06acf9-220818-Ben_Kueter-001.JPG

A crowd of community members, teammates, coaches and friends celebrated Kueter's Junior world championship title, Aug 18, 2022, at City High School.

“Can you handle it?” Ferentz asked.

“I definitely can,” Kueter told him.

“I went there for like an hour,” Kueter said, “and came back and got right back into my football stuff.”

There are a few built-in advantages for Kueter as he embarks on his two-sport quest.

No. 1: He’s not needed to be an immediate contributor in either sport.

In wrestling, heavyweight Tony Cassioppi is returning for his sixth-year senior season. Kueter’s time in Brands' starting lineup will likely begin during the 2024-25 season, so it’s almost a lock he’ll take a wrestling redshirt. In football, Iowa has two senior starters at inside linebacker in Nick Jackson and Jay Higgins, plus plenty of third-year guys to provide quality depth.

“He’s not going to necessarily see the football field right off the bat,” said linebackers coach Seth Wallace. “Our program, by design, has been built on development. And a lot of young guys, especially when you talk about the front seven, a lot of those guys don’t play coming right out of high school.”

No. 2: Kueter’s strength plan in football fits what his body needs in wrestling.

He arrived in June at 213 pounds. After just a few months of training (and constantly eating), Kueter’s weight is already up to 228. The football strength staff has set his eventual target weight at 240 to 245 pounds on his 6-foot-3 frame. As a heavyweight wrestler (collegians are capped at 285 pounds), Kueter’s preferred weight would be in the 240-245 range. So, he’ll never have to worry about weight-cutting when transitioning from helmet to singlet.

In football, the hope is that he can become a Jack Campbell-type thumper in the middle of Iowa’s defense. Kueter is known for his physical style. During one play at the recent Kids' Day at Kinnick scrimmage, Kueter ripped past the offensive line and walloped freshman running back Terrell Washington Jr. for a 3-yard loss.

“Wrestlers sometimes are so aggressive that they might be a little bit too fast,” said defensive coordinator Phil Parker. “But I think he’s really picked up some of the stuff we’re asking him to do, and we’re really pleased with the progress he’s had.”

Iowa likes its linebackers to learn all three spots – middle, weak-side and outside – eventually, but for now Kueter is locked in at middle linebacker.

From Kids Day this past Saturday:

“The biggest thing is learning the playbook,” Kueter said. “That’s always difficult to learn as a freshman.

“It’s pretty complex to me right now, so just starting at one (position) is great. Once I get that down, I’ll go to the next thing.”

Just this week, Kueter was named USA TODAY Sports high school boys wrestler of the year for 2023. He is one of only six American wrestlers since 2000 to make a junior men’s freestyle world final the summer ahead of his senior year of high school. Others on that exclusive list include former Iowa phenom Spencer Lee (twice), three-time NCAA champion Aaron Brooks and Olympic heavyweight gold medalists Kyle Snyder and Gable Steveson.

Be sure to click on the play button in the tweet that follows.

If Kueter can pull off elite status in one sport, that’d be something. He’s going all-in to try to accomplish it in two.

It will be fascinating to watch how this chapter of his story unfolds.

“You look at everything he’s accomplished up to this point, I think it’s very important to recognize there’s something there,” Wallace said. “I don’t know if I’d bet against that. I’d let him just kind of run the race.”

Hawkeyes columnist Chad Leistikow has covered sports for 28 years with The Des Moines Register, USA TODAY and Iowa City Press-Citizen. Follow @ChadLeistikow on Twitter.

Last edited:
fans of every other school love this plan

iowa's best recruit in years having to ask permission to go work out for an hour with the wrestling team for 6 months out of the year...what could go wrong

Reactions: Mendoza77
fans of every other school love this plan

iowa's best recruit in years having to ask permission to go work out for an hour with the wrestling team for 6 months out of the year...what could go wrong
And not taking up any scholarship money. If he gets to 240-250 and doesn't ever get too far away from wrestling he could sleepwalk his way to the podium every year.

• Haha
Reactions: Hawkgma
And not taking up any scholarship money. If he gets to 240-250 and doesn't ever get too far away from wrestling he could sleepwalk his way to the podium every year.
Sadly, that just isn't true. DI wrestling is HARD. VERY few can just walk onto a wrestling mat and win. Mind you, SO MANY 2,3 or even 4 time State champs get punished in the room their first year. On top of that, they are 100% ALL IN wrestling throughout the year and aren't guaranteed to be AA caliber let alone "sleepwalk his way to the podium every year".....

Now, I hope Kueter is good enough and gets enough mat time that he will be fine. But, if football takes away a significant amount of his training and focus in the sport, he isn't just going to walk out there and be a Title Contender.

In High School, you can be a multi sport athlete and succeed at the highest level. In DI athletics, it is nearly impossible. I just DO NOT see how 5 years of it can happen. By his junior year he will almost certainly be all in in one of the 2 sports....

this can't be serious
Yes. That is my take. If the Iowa Football strength program gets him to 250 and he keeps wrestling somewhat during football. He will be so much more athletic than 95% of the Hwts that 5-8 on the podium will be relatively easy for him to achieve.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
Yes. That is my take. If the Iowa Football strength program gets him to 250 and he keeps wrestling somewhat during football. He will be so much more athletic than 95% of the Hwts that 5-8 on the podium will be relatively easy for him to achieve.
he had to ask permission to go workout for an hour on a day the football team wasn't practicing during pre-season camp

how much do you think he's going to be able (or allowed) to wrestle during football season?

he had to ask permission to go workout for an hour on a day the football team wasn't practicing during pre-season camp

how much do you think he's going to be able (or allowed) to wrestle during football season?
This year I would say pretty often, but that could change during season as he sees more playing time on the field in the future. I'm not sure why people think it is odd that he asked permission. Both coaching staffs are onboard with him doing 2 sports and want him to be successful at both. Ferentz and Brands are both guys who are true to their word.

This year I would say pretty often, but that could change during season as he sees more playing time on the field in the future. I'm not sure why people think it is odd that he asked permission. Both coaching staffs are onboard with him doing 2 sports and want him to be successful at both. Ferentz and Brands are both guys who are true to their word.

T8KUDWN, I agree with you. I think Ben is just being respectful and is simply communicating with the football coaches on what he needs to do for wrestling. As you stated, both coaching staffs are onboard with what he's trying to accomplish with both sports. He's not just gonna take off to Carver Hawkeye Arena without having a conversation with his position coach.

T8KUDWN, I agree with you. I think Ben is just being respectful and is simply communicating with the football coaches on what he needs to do for wrestling. As you stated, both coaching staffs are onboard with what he's trying to accomplish with both sports. He's not just gonna take off to Carver Hawkeye Arena without having a conversation with his position coach.
i don't think it's a big deal that he had to ask. like you said, just good communication

but i think it shows that there isn't some existing agreement/understanding that he's going to be trying to get some wrestling training in during down-time in football. for the most part, he won't be wrestling for 6 months out of the year. that's not good (for his wrestling at least).

msu said it...D1 wrestling is hard. no one is sleepwalking to an AA finish after minimal to no wrestling for 6 months. not to mention how beat up he'll be after a football season. the last thing a big hawkeye recruit needs is to find more ways to get injured

My guy... have you seen the heavyweights? I'm not sure which Chris Taylor's you're watching - but the Podium Finishers in the past 6 years are ALL athletes.

Even Schultz's fat azz... He's athletic as all hell. and wrestles year round.

Reactions: js8793
I don't think it would be close to a cake walk but I do think a healthy Keuter with even 3 months a year of full focus on wrestling plus football training the rest of the year is an all American. He is just that good. The kid is a freak. The key imo is healthy.

Has anyone seen Cass and Kueter wrestle? I’m sure Tony gets the best of him from experience and being in a college room for 5-6 years. It would be promising if someone said they’ve seen it and it’s a good scrap.

He asked permission to leave the team hotel, during what I assume was not labeled “free time”. Any off day during camp, generally has open hours you can be gone from the team hotel, but there are still expectations.

I wish the kid a lot of luck. If he really starts to show next level promise in football I just can't see any way that wrestling doesn't vanish. I know all the coaches are on board but that is only until they are not. If Ferentz is paying for the kid and he is a starter I would suspect his support for wrestling will wane.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT