ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone ever travel/live in a van or off-road RV?

Feb 9, 2013
Question I’ve always wondered… how do you get comfortable parking at trailheads and other remote places and then leaving your van for a few hours or longer? Thieves know you have all your stuff in the van. Wouldn’t they get broken into often?

I get paranoid these days even when nothing’s in my vehicle.

Reactions: BrianNole777
keeps chris farley GIF

I know a guy that went all in and made #vanlife his life. Total idealist, thought it was going to be like Instagram. He is VERY outdoorsy and can live off next to nothing. If anyone was going to make it, I thought it would be him. He lasted just short of three months. Between getting his shit broken into (twice - one at a campground, the other at a parking lot like Walmart) and rando methheads casing your wheels while you’re trying to sleep, he’d had enough.

I know a guy that went all in and made #vanlife his life. Total idealist, thought it was going to be like Instagram. He is VERY outdoorsy and can live off next to nothing. If anyone was going to make it, I thought it would be him. He lasted just short of three months. Between getting his shit broken into (twice - one at a campground, the other at a parking lot like Walmart) and rando methheads casing your wheels while you’re trying to sleep, he’d had enough.
As usual, it's humans that **** up a good thing

Question I’ve always wondered… how do you get comfortable parking at trailheads and other remote places and then leaving your van for a few hours or longer? Thieves know you have all your stuff in the van. Wouldn’t they get broken into often?

I haven't but wouldn't mind driving cross country in one some day.

CSB.

What locations?

I've cat camped enough in remote places and never had an issue.

Working on building out a fiberglass truck camper for this very type of adventure.

I have extensively traveled out east and west in some really remote areas and remote trailheads in Zion, Grand Canyon, Havasu Canyon, Appalachian Trailheads, Glacier, Tetons, and Sierra Blanco.

I have a Ram 4500 with a Northstar Truck Camper. I can live off grid for as long as I need or want and have an available stream, lake or river for water to purify. I use a joolca on demand water heater made in Australia, Solar with Battle Born Lithium batteries and wash clothes in a military grade scrubba bag.

Being nimble and able to leave at the drop of a pin when you even sense trouble is imperative. Two deer cameras that are extremely difficult to see give me 360 degree coverage. Iridium 9575 Extreme satellite phone, bear spray in two large cannisters, and I carry two cans of wasp/hornet spray capable of spraying 50 feet.

I have encountered about every situation imaginable out in the middle of nowhere. Normally when I set off the siren mounted in a very hidden place with it's own power source, people will leave quickly. I have sprayed two guys in the face with wasp spray and then when they were writhing and couldn't see I unloaded a canister of bear spray on them and as I climbed in the truck to get out of there they were begging for me to call an ambulance. Weapons are begging for more trouble than worth. Normally a tidy sober person will avoid the break ins. NEVER camp where you hike or by the trailhead you will use. Rangers, police, and camping with people who just camp and are almost always willing to take you to a trailhead, give you people to leave an itinerary with.

Never have had anyone try to break in. I can be very intimidating in person when people first meet me. More people probably are wary of me than the other way around. Small bear spray and satellite phone when hiking. I have been more nervous on a trail in the middle of nowhere than anywhere else. Most would assume it would be two males, but it is more so a male female pair that make you queasy.

I have extensively traveled out east and west in some really remote areas and remote trailheads in Zion, Grand Canyon, Havasu Canyon, Appalachian Trailheads, Glacier, Tetons, and Sierra Blanco.

I have a Ram 4500 with a Northstar Truck Camper. I can live off grid for as long as I need or want and have an available stream, lake or river for water to purify. I use a joolca on demand water heater made in Australia, Solar with Battle Born Lithium batteries and wash clothes in a military grade scrubba bag.

Being nimble and able to leave at the drop of a pin when you even sense trouble is imperative. Two deer cameras that are extremely difficult to see give me 360 degree coverage. Iridium 9575 Extreme satellite phone, bear spray in two large cannisters, and I carry two cans of wasp/hornet spray capable of spraying 50 feet.

I have encountered about every situation imaginable out in the middle of nowhere. Normally when I set off the siren mounted in a very hidden place with it's own power source, people will leave quickly. I have sprayed two guys in the face with wasp spray and then when they were writhing and couldn't see I unloaded a canister of bear spray on them and as I climbed in the truck to get out of there they were begging for me to call an ambulance. Weapons are begging for more trouble than worth. Normally a tidy sober person will avoid the break ins. NEVER camp where you hike or by the trailhead you will use. Rangers, police, and camping with people who just camp and are almost always willing to take you to a trailhead, give you people to leave an itinerary with.

Never have had anyone try to break in. I can be very intimidating in person when people first meet me. More people probably are wary of me than the other way around. Small bear spray and satellite phone when hiking. I have been more nervous on a trail in the middle of nowhere than anywhere else. Most would assume it would be two males, but it is more so a male female pair that make you queasy.
That is pretty neat but also sounds like it can get hairy at times.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT