ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone have a relative that uses the term Oriental for anyone Asian?

I k
I know it is a generational thing. I still work hard to correct them all the time.

Between using that term and someone puttting an "R" in Washington, I lose my shit quite a bit around my previous generation.
I know several carpet/textile dealers whose business name includes Oriental, even tho the goods they market are from Armenian, Caucasian, Persian, or Turkish regions.

Nothing wrong with either, but the old terminology sometimes persists in that field.

I'm half Asian and as a kid when we would go to the Asian grocery store my parents would always call it the Oriental Store. It could have been the actual name of it though

My impression talking to Asians was that it's considered outdated language but not in a really offensive way, if that makes sense.

(Of course they didny have the experience black people did in America so it makes sense sort of)

Nobody here has heard of the Pekin Chinks apparently.

VyhBEH5WtvstBylVyHKSWncicTwgll1qI55b1yarSzs.jpg

My impression talking to Asians was that it's considered outdated language but not in a really offensive way, if that makes sense.

(Of course they didny have the experience black people did in America so it makes sense sort of)

I can agree with that. I've never heard the term Oriental used in my house outside of the grocery store and I've never been called that. If I ever was called that, I assume it would be from some old white guy that probably doesn't know any better

I think it’s just an outdated term that shouldn’t be considered offensive. The orient was a region back in the day and people from it were orientals.

That Native American intramural team The Fighting Whities should have caught on and someone should have it in college or the pros

Reactions: torbee
I never knew Oriental was a bad word until they changed oriental ramen to soy sauce ramen.

Reactions: goldmom
I know it is a generational thing. I still work hard to correct them all the time.

Between using that term and someone puttting an "R" in Washington, I lose my shit quite a bit around my previous generation.
1. Not for a long time. In college in the mid 80s, one of the first books I read was called “orientalism” and was something of a critique of western views of the east.
2. The r is just a dc-to-Philly dialect thing, just like in central nj, the capital is treh-un or the way chuck grassley talks as an Iowan. I believe it’s derivative of some scots Irish thing, but I too dislike that particular marble mouthed diction. Happily, I’m moving to central va where the dialect is positively regal.

Last edited:
My dad says "colored" guy and then says "nicest guy ever" because that's makes it less cringy. So embarassing.
I’ve told this one before, on my first job as a grocery clerk I had to learn the produce, and the central pa redneck who taught me said to remember that “COLORED people eat COLLARD greens”

Yes on oriental and a similar thing to this.

It’s like it’s always necessary to describe someone’s race or ethnicity when it’s not relevant.

“Yeah, AC went out yesterday and the repairman came to fix it. (Lowers voice) A young black guy…but he was nice and did a great job!”

🤦🏻‍♂️
Here in Arlington though, they won’t describe it when it is relevant (eg local crime report suspect descriptions)

Here in Arlington, honestly one of the coolest places to spend a morning is to go to the Eden plaza market which is the locus of Vietnamese settlement in the 80s. All kinds of veggies you don’t see, fish swimming in tanks, plucked ducks hanging in windows, etc.

Reactions: torbee
I mock my mother in law all the damn time about this. I ask her to point out where the "r" is. I really don't care if it is insulting. People deserve to be insulted for shit like that.
So a regional accent is shit?

No, those family members have pretty much died off at this point.

Reactions: Jimmy McGill
Oriental is a very offensive word. Surprised this thread is still allowed
I don't know if you're being sarcastic but we have some openly racist users on here. Anything goes, which is why I mostly stopped posting. The Caitlin Clark threads and ones like this one are clarion calls for them to come out of the woodwork.

Reactions: Jimmy McGill
I don't know if you're being sarcastic but we have some openly racist users on here. Anything goes, which is why I mostly stopped posting. The Caitlin Clark threads and ones like this one are clarion calls for them to come out of the woodwork.

I just wish some people would read some history books. The Orient did not include Japan, Korea, SE Asia. It is a blatant racist term to qualify all as Orientals.

What a blessed life you must live if this is the piddly shit you're crying on the internet about lmfao

Reactions: goldmom
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT