ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone own or ever owned a restaurant?

ClarindaA's

HB Legend
Jun 3, 2002
Thinking of opening one next year, just breakfast foods, open 6-1. Then opening on the weekend for evening hours near several bars, say from 6pm to 2 am. I have the location selected, no competition from noon fast food chain places, 16k population for 9 months a year. Too risky?

Thinking of opening one next year, just breakfast foods, open 6-1. Then opening on the weekend for evening hours near several bars, say from 6pm to 2 am. I have the location selected, no competition from noon fast food chain places, 16k population for 9 months a year. Too risky?
I've put in a commercial kitchen for my wife's catering and meeting rooms. Food service is really finicky. you could easily be $250,000 into it and never make a dime. Even if you pick up clean used equipment, it's going to be a hell of an investment.

For my wife, she absolutely loves to cook, but found cooking for a living is a whole different animal.

I've thought about that sort of thing.

I'd want to nail the shit out of the recipes and be really good at teaching people how to reproduce them.

What you should do is open one not targeting breakfast. Have it open 4PM-2AM. Then, cut back on food and focus to just serving pizza and a couple of hot subs you can cook in pizza oven. Oh, yeah, and get a bar license and make 98% of your money selling beer, wine and liquor to people paying 200-400 percent markups on their drinks.

Encourage cash only with pricing.

You are welcome.

Reactions: St. Louis Hawk

No, the student population is there 9 months, 11k residents, 6 k students

Is the 9 months a year thing because students will be the labor pool, or will they be the target market?

Everyday regular hours of 6 to 1 sounds like your target market is farmers and retired fogeys, not college students. Maybe your research is to the contrary, but that's my initial reaction.

Reactions: lucas80
If you have your heart set on it, you might want to think about going the food truck route.

I owned a very small share of a tavern for shits and grins. Didn’t do it for a living - just a place to hang with the other owners and friends.

Be a tavern with 5 good dishes, not a full service restaurant. 40 regulars should support a low overhead tavern.

Watch your food costs. Keep them under 32%, preferably in the high 20’s. If you aren’t gonna be there, hire a good manager and cut them in on the profits. Inventory walks out the door if someone isn’t watching everything.

Social media and market non-stop. Non-stop.

I once owned a bathroom in a restaurant.

Season 4 No GIF by The Office

Reactions: THE_DEVIL

I'm trying to think what compensation would look like for me to agree to working those hours at this point in my life.

It would have to be very large.

I was a partner in a hotel if that helps.

One of the best investments I’ve ever been involved with. Made the real money when we sold it 4 years later because the location was great.

Broke a little bit better than even before we sold and never had to dump money into it to make it run which was great.

But there was no food involved so I don’t know about the restaurant side of it.

Did have an outdoor pool with a tiki hut looking thing that had drinks and alcohol sales are ridiculously profitable.

All I got

Reactions: ClarindaA's
Being open only nine months is a recipe for failure. You are going to need those year round residents, and shutting down during the summer gives them three months to find another restaurant that they can rely on year round and not come back. I’ve lived in a college town for over thirty years and as soon as you see a place close for the summer you know they won’t be lasting much longer.

No, but I will probably open some small eatery in retirement just to stay active, and I won’t care if it makes money. They’re literally one of the worst businesses to start.

Being open only nine months is a recipe for failure. You are going to need those year round residents, and shutting down during the summer gives them three months to find another restaurant that they can rely on year round and not come back. I’ve lived in a college town for over thirty years and as soon as you see a place close for the summer you know they won’t be lasting much longer.
I’ll be open all year. The students are only there 9 months

I owned a very small share of a tavern for shits and grins. Didn’t do it for a living - just a place to hang with the other owners and friends.

Be a tavern with 5 good dishes, not a full service restaurant. 40 regulars should support a low overhead tavern.

Watch your food costs. Keep them under 32%, preferably in the high 20’s. If you aren’t gonna be there, hire a good manager and cut them in on the profits. Inventory walks out the door if someone isn’t watching everything.

Social media and market non-stop. Non-stop.
Since it’s breakfast foods, the guy advising me( he owned a truck stop cafe, and later his own breakfast centered restaurant) told me I can keep it to 25-30 percent

Reactions: St. Louis Hawk
Is the 9 months a year thing because students will be the labor pool, or will they be the target market?

Everyday regular hours of 6 to 1 sounds like your target market is farmers and retired fogeys, not college students. Maybe your research is to the contrary, but that's my initial reaction.
I’ll be open year round, morning is targeting the towns people, who only have fast food places to choose from at present time. The evening late weekend hours are to get drinking college kids, kids studying, after a game, etc. it would be staffed lighter at night.

What will you do if someone wears a pro Islam or rainbow LGBTQ shirt to your restaurant OP?

I don’t think you have the proper mindset to be a restaurant owner. Successful restaurants need to be all inclusive and non -political. Can you do that?

Ok, that makes sense.

Sounds like you'll be the "only game in town", which could be a good thing.

Are you going to try to be "famous" for anything, or just serve basic stuff?

There's a lady in Galesburg, Illinois who owns a restaurant like the one you propose, and she hired a company to do social media marketing, and it's on fire. She was recently featured in the New York Times.

Since it’s breakfast foods, the guy advising me( he owned a truck stop cafe, and later his own breakfast centered restaurant) told me I can keep it to 25-30 percent

Great. Get advice from any source that will talk to you. Don’t half ass this if you are going to do this.

Look for intelligence on your neighborhood. Data people will have info - usually for sale cheap.

Talk to the booze distributors in the area. They always have good info on what places are working and what’s trending.

Hit all the best competitors in the area to see what they are doing right and wrong.

Keep your menu simple until you can make it work.

That’s about all I have. Good luck.

• Love
OP - the cost / profit will be marginable at best at first. Be prepared not to pay yourself for over the first 12 months.

Kind of like a lot of people that think they can run a bar. The profit margins are slim and unless you don't want the profit to be drank away, you pretty much need to be there all the time because you won't be able to find good employees in rural Iowa unless they are named Pedro or Juan

With that being said, I'm in.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT