ADVERTISEMENT

AP: California fast food workers now earn $20 per hour. Franchisees are responding by cutting hours.

The interesting thing is that In-n-Out and Chik-fil-A were already paying their staff that much out here and were doing fine. Meanwhile next door at Wendy's they're making half as much and only 2 people are working. Seems like it's all about putting out a good product and doing it quickly.

So you’re the guy in front of me in the drive-thru line at Chick-fil-A who takes five f*cking minutes to place his order when all I have to do is tell them my name and they say I’m all set.
Yup, I will make my order walking to my car today and tell the person manning the drive thru my name and they will wave me thru. App saves my preferred meal so it takes about 3 clicks.

Reactions: TJ8869
The interesting thing is that In-n-Out and Chik-fil-A were already paying their staff that much out here and were doing fine. Meanwhile next door at Wendy's they're making half as much and only 2 people are working. Seems like it's all about putting out a good product and doing it quickly.
I think what McDonald’s and others did that hurt them was having these large franchisees where 1 person would own a dozen locations and they were not at the store every day.

I worked at McDonald’s in high school. The guy that owned it also owned on other. He would be at the stores a lot and was a hardass. I don’t think it was a coincidence that the stores were spotless and people busted their ass.

Reactions: BelemNole
I think what McDonald’s and others did that hurt them was having these large franchisees where 1 person would own a dozen locations and they were not at the store every day.

I worked at McDonald’s in high school. The guy that owned it also owned on other. He would be at the stores a lot and was a hardass. I don’t think it was a coincidence that the stores were spotless and people busted their ass.
A lot of people see fast food franchises as ATMs. Think once they get it that it's just a revenue source. Chik-fil-a might be a bunch of winger assholes, but they keep their franchises in line. You have to keep the stores clean and running well or you can lose them.

Titties break!

big brother omg GIF

Yet none of you will blame corporate greed.

California is mandating a 25% increase in wages paid to their employees,.. If these businesses increase their costs to the consumer, no, I will not blame that on corporate greed.

Derp!,.. Of course they are cutting hours, next they will be raising prices, and down the road they will be closing their doors...
Automated and eventually replaced. Us tax payers go these idiots on welfare so they good and no worries

Naturally.
You really have no idea on how life and businesses work do you. You are one dumb human being

Jobs should be paid on what I think it should be and not the skill/value provided. If you disagree, then you just favor corporate greed.

All jobs impacted are in corporate greed industries apparently

California fast food workers now earn $20 per hour. Franchisees are responding by cutting hours.​

JAIMIE DING
Updated Wed, July 10, 2024 at 3:13 AM CDT·5 min read

June jobs panel: We didn't expect fireworks as economy cools

Scroll back up to restore default view.
LOS ANGELES (AP) — Lawrence Cheng, whose family owns seven Wendy’s locations south of Los Angeles, took orders at the register on a recent day and emptied steaming hot baskets of French fries and chicken nuggets, salting them with a flourish.
Cheng used to have nearly a dozen employees on the afternoon shift at his Fountain Valley location in Orange County. Now he only schedules seven for each shift as he scrambles to absorb a dramatic jump in labor costs after a new California law boosted the hourly wage for fast food workers on April 1 from $16 to $20 an hour.
“We kind of just cut where we can,” he said. “I schedule one less person, and then I come in for that time that I didn’t schedule and I work that hour.”
Cheng hopes the summer when business is traditionally brisk with students out of school and families traveling or spending more time eating out will bring a better profit that can cover the added costs.
Experts say it’s still too early to tell the long-term impact of the wage hike on fast food restaurants and whether there will be widespread layoffs and closures. Past wage increases have not necessarily led to job losses. When California and New York nearly doubled their minimum wage previously to $15 compared to the federal level of $7.25 per hour, job growth continued, according to a University of California, Berkeley study.
So far, the industry has continued to show job growth. In the first two months after the law passed April 1, the industry gained 8,000 jobs, compared to the same period in 2023, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. No figures were available yet for June.
Joseph Bryant, executive vice president of the Service Employees International Union, which pushed for the raise, said the industry has not only added jobs under the new law but “multiple franchisees have also noted that the higher wage is already attracting better job candidates, thus reducing turnover.”
But many major fast food chain operators say they are cutting hours and raising prices to stay in business.
“I’ve been in the business for 25 years and two different brands and I never had to increase the amount of pricing that I did this past time in April,” Juancarlos Chacon, an owner of nine Jersey Mike’s in Los Angeles, said.
A turkey sub for under $10? It’s now $11.15. While customers are still coming in, he’s seeing them cut back — no drinks, no chips, no dessert.
Since their core business is lunch, Chacon has been reducing staffing in the mornings and evenings. He’s also cut a few part-time employees, going from 165 total to about 145.
It wasn’t only entry-level workers that got a pay raise. Shift leaders, assistant managers, and everyone else up the ladder had to get raises too, and labor represents about 35% of his costs.
“I’m very nervous,” Chacon said.
Aaron Allen, founder and CEO of a global restaurant consulting firm, said he’s gotten panicked calls from California restaurant operators and suppliers that are still recovering from the COVID-19 lockdown. He predicts a growing divide between corporations like McDonalds that have money to invest in automation and reduce costs through “menu reconfiguration, versus smaller, more regional chains that might go under or face a major reduction in stores.”
Cheng said he has no plans to lay off any of his 250 Wendy’s workers and instead has turned to cutting overtime and reducing the amount of workers on each shift. He also raised menu prices about 8% in January in anticipation of the law.
Still he said his books show that he was $20,000 over budget for a two-week pay period.
Jot Condie, president and CEO of the California Restaurant Association, which opposed the minimum wage bill, said businesses are simultaneously feeling the squeeze from rising rents and food costs.
“When labor costs jump more than 25% overnight, any restaurant business with already-thin margins will be forced to reduce expenses elsewhere,” Condie said. “They don’t have a lot of options beyond increasing prices, reducing hours of operation, or scaling back the size of their workforce.”
Julieta Garcia, who’s been at a Pizza Hut in Los Angeles for a little over a year, said she’s now working five days instead of six. But that's not a bad thing, she said, since she can spend more time with her 4-year-old son. The extra money means she can pay her cellphone bill on time, instead of having to turn off service, and take her son to get his tonsils checked out, she said.
Howard Lewis, a 63-year-old retiree who works at a Wendy’s in Sacramento, said he has been investing his extra money.
“Today was payday and I bought $500 worth of stock,” said Lewis. He’s also helping his ex-wife fix the brakes on her car.
Gov. Gavin Newsom said the hike was necessary to give the state’s more than half a million fast food workers a living wage.
“We are a state that gives a damn about fast food workers — who are predominantly women — working two and a half jobs to get by,” Newsom stated in his state-of-the-state address posted on social media.
For Enif Somilleda, a general manager at a Del Taco in Orange County, the raise has been a mixed bag. She used to have four people working per shift. She now only has two.
“Financially it has helped me,” she said. “But I have less people so I have to do a lot more work.”
Easily see able unintended consequences. By most, but not Snake Oil salesman Gavin Newsom.

Someone working at McDonald’s adds more value to society than a Marxist public school teacher.
DA MARXIST PUBLIC SCHOOL TEACHERS ARE TEACHING DA KIDS TO LIKE BERNIE AND DA SQUAD AND DA CHE GUEVARA AND DA SLOW JOE AND DA CLINTON CRIME FAMILY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHAT THEY SHOULD BE TEACHING IS THE GOSPEL ACCORDING TO DA TUCKER CARLSON AND TRUMP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IF YOU RADICAL MARXISTS WENT TO MCDONALD'S, YOU WOULD PROBABLY GET A SUPER-SIZED ORDER OF SEMEN AND SOY AND LAB MEAT!!!!!!!!!!!! AND THEN GO EAT IT IN DA INTERSTATE BATHHOUSES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BUT NOT DA HITMAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HE IS IN SOUTHERN CLAYTON COUNTY ENJOYING A 52 OZ. STEAK AND WASHING IT DOWN WITH REFRESHING ICE COLD CANS OF SPIRTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THEN HE PICKS UP DA SHIELD AND GETS ON DA MESSAGE BOARD AND SMACKS YOU RADICAL BETA CUCKS AROUND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In-n-Out and Chik-fil-A were already paying their staff that much out here and were doing fine.

I told my son that In N Out had better looking work staff then the places in Iowa.

Figured they had to pay a decent wage. They had EE's everywhere and they all had a full set of teeth.

Disclaimer: The place is overrated. Culver's runs circles around them.

Just a little robot lube instead.

I’m stunned by the lack of ability to get an order correct at most fast food places.

This summer I have stopped at Dunkin to get coffee 3 days a week: I get a medium hot black coffee. That order is wrong half the time. I pour the coffee directly into my travel mug while I’m at the window. The most common issue is that it has cream in it. The location closest to my house was the worst at getting it correct. The location halfway to my office only screws it up
Occasionally

I told my son that In N Out had better looking work staff then the places in Iowa.

Figured they had to pay a decent wage. They had EE's everywhere and they all had a full set of teeth.

Disclaimer: The place is overrated. Culver's runs circles around them.
Well, to be fair, that's because in Iowa the potential staffing pool is Iowans....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT