ADVERTISEMENT

Anything more to the rumor Connor plays this year

Is there a source to this rumor outside of posters on this board wanting it to happen?

Reactions: unIowa
My sources (see above) quoted Connor this summer as saying "maybe". I'm running with it.

Makes sense, if Williams continues to have physical problems (back n ? currently). JBo's backup is the missing piece with this year's team for it to be successful (as good as it can be), imo.

Can it be assumed Connor would be a starter on the Iowa baseball team? He is good, but no guaranteed.

Basketball...he is all but guaranteed a spot in the rotation.

I for one hope he plays basketball this season. I've watched him for four years and Connor is a gamer. If Bo goes down, we could be in trouble, plus it is obvious that other teams are going to put huge pressure on our point.

+1 ...if...Connor is our 2nd best PG he should play as backup to JBo.

Reactions: Vbeachawk
I have been hoping that C. Williams gets it going and I still think he has a ton of potential.....that said, the PG position is SO important. I also believe that there will be a great deal of pressure applied to JBO this year. I think opponents will try to game plan to take him out of the Iowa offense...which I would guess will wear on him over time. WE HAVE to have an effective backup PG. IF CW can't get that done THIS YEAR I think Connor has to play for this team to achieve at the level of success that they are capable of.

I have been hoping that C. Williams gets it going and I still think he has a ton of potential.....that said, the PG position is SO important. I also believe that there will be a great deal of pressure applied to JBO this year. I think opponents will try to game plan to take him out of the Iowa offense...which I would guess will wear on him over time. WE HAVE to have an effective backup PG. IF CW can't get that done THIS YEAR I think Connor has to play for this team to achieve at the level of success that they are capable of.

the two exhibition games may tell us alot. I also have confidence that CW can get the job done (assuming he is healthy). This is more of a belief in Connor than a 2nd guessing of Williams on my part.

Obviously it is his career so his decision to sit out his first year is not in question.

Whoever is the backup PG, they dont need to be a dynamic player. CW should be able to do that....as should Connor.

the two exhibition games may tell us alot. I also have confidence that CW can get the job done (assuming he is healthy). This is more of a belief in Connor than a 2nd guessing of Williams on my part.

Obviously it is his career so his decision to sit out his first year is not in question.

Connor IS the best option to back up JB. But he's playing baseball, not basketball this season. Agree that it's his decision, regardless of anyone's opinion here. And it could well be the best decision for him- again, regardless of what the BB fans want.

Connor IS the best option to back up JB. But he's playing baseball, not basketball this season. Agree that it's his decision, regardless of anyone's opinion here. And it could well be the best decision for him- again, regardless of what the BB fans want.

Nothing is never set in stone & people do change their minds. Playing baseball is one thing...sitting on the Iowa baseball bench is another...which none of us will know that until maybe Feb, which by that time we are half way thru the B1G.

This is my opinion only..I think Connor is a more ready D1 basketball player than baseball..as an incoming freshman.

As has been stated..if this years basketball experiences some issues (due to injury or otherwise) I could see a change of ones mind...we will see.

If Connor is clearly our best option to back up JBo, it is hard for me to believe that he won't be in the rotation, especially if CW is injured. Fran and Connor will make the right decision.

PG is the position with the most tenuous back up situation. If CW is already significantly hobbled and won't be near 100% by the time the season starts, I'm with the group that would like to see Connor on the court this season.

I would think Connor, Fran and Rick would know a lot about where he would fit on the baseball roster for the coming up season and what sort of playing time he might expect. Sure lots of things could change as Connor improves but if he would be riding the baseball pine all year and wouldn't be for hoops why not use that 5th year of eligibility for baseball at the end of his Sr hoops season?

I can see this cutting both ways, HOWEVER I do hope that CW picks up his game so CM can redshirt as an extra year of him and Pat and Joe together would be nice to see.

Connor is the highest rated guard coming out of HS on this team. If you throw out ESPN's rankings, which I believe is the only one that had JBo and Moss rated high, it isn't even close. He's 2-3 overall with Garza. According to 247 composite, he's the 7th highest ranked/9th highest rated player to come to Iowa since 2003. Let that sink in when debating how much Connor could help this team regardless of Williams or Dailey. What ever happens, happens but him not playing this year hinders the basketball team.

Reactions: skydog0784
I was surprised Connor got to play so many minutes on the Euro trip. He certainly showed well and would be ready to go should the team need him. But really I hope Christian is healthy and can lock up the backup pg role. That would be in everyone's best interest.

A year ago multiple posters on this board were blasting Fran for recruiting Bohannon. Look how that turned out. Well, Connor was probably more impressive in high school than JoBo (as far as all-around play). I watched both many times, and it is insane to read all the comments from posters who never watched Connor play!! We need both these kids.

A year ago multiple posters on this board were blasting Fran for recruiting Bohannon. Look how that turned out. Well, Connor was probably more impressive in high school than JoBo (as far as all-around play). I watched both many times, and it is insane to read all the comments from posters who never watched Connor play!! We need both these kids.

I think when most people think of highly rated recruits they think either:
1) Big
or
2) Athletic

Connor is neither of those things, he's just a very good basketball player. He's always going to be at a disadvantage athletically against many of the players in the Big Ten, but his skills have been able to keep in ahead of many of them.

The only valid question I hear about him is what is his ceiling? I think it's safe to say most coach's kids are generally more skilled than their classmates due to the amount of time they have been around the game, so will other kids develop more in college? The answer could very easily be yes, but it doesn't take away from the fact that Connor is already a very good player and there is no reason to think he won't be a good player for all 4 years at Iowa, if he decide to play 4 years.

Reactions: supahawk and unIowa
so do we have any baseball experts among us? since we have opinions regarding his basketball ability how bout baseball?

having coached HS baseball I will take a stab. I have no idea:confused: hows that?
seriously hitting HS baseball is a little different than B1G D1...there just are not many Iowa kids throwing in the 90's like college which is one thing ..
ball movement, 4 seam 2 seam cutter splitter. Add in breaking balls & changeups...Hitting in college is not easy....are there any experts who care to give an opinion on Connor's hitting ability?

Iowa is set in the outfield with Whelan, Norman & Neustrom...Jenkins might be our best defensive outfielder. With that there is a possibility someone moves in at 1B...replacing slugger Jake Adams. Seems 1B and DH are wide open as of now.

Last edited:
As Fran has put it, there were no pro scouts hovering around Conner on the BBall floor but there were pro scouts at the baseball diamond. Having said that, I think Conner may be our best option as JBo's back up this year. I hope he plays for hid Dad this year.

I think when most people think of highly rated recruits they think either:
1) Big
or
2) Athletic

Connor is neither of those things, he's just a very good basketball player. He's always going to be at a disadvantage athletically against many of the players in the Big Ten, but his skills have been able to keep in ahead of many of them.

The only valid question I hear about him is what is his ceiling? I think it's safe to say most coach's kids are generally more skilled than their classmates due to the amount of time they have been around the game, so will other kids develop more in college? The answer could very easily be yes, but it doesn't take away from the fact that Connor is already a very good player and there is no reason to think he won't be a good player for all 4 years at Iowa, if he decide to play 4 years.
He may not be big but he is certainly very LONG for a wing player. That is one reason he rates so high. And my observation from watching him play is he is plenty athletic. Not elite but very good.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT