ADVERTISEMENT

Are there any good coaches out there?

CuttyDoesIt

HB Heisman
Dec 25, 2012
First, my qualifications is that I probably have won over 1,000,000 games on Maddon.

But… Pete Carolls play call ? enough said. But why didn't Bellichick let the clock run before that play? He got lucky his corner bailed him out.

I didn't mind the Seahawks play call in the end. Yes, they should have gone to probably Lynch, but the play that was called wasn't terrible. The reason that ball was intercepted was that Butler knew what play was coming. He admits that. He was the only one who had a chance to stop that play and if he hesitates for a split second Seattle probably scores on that play.

What I didn't understand was why Belichick wasn't calling timeouts to leave his offense sometime in case Seattle scored? He was just letting the clock run. If Seattle scores, there is virtually no time left for New England to do anything on offense.

In the end, it worked out great for the Patriots. But what if Seattle scored? We would be talking about why Belichick wasn't giving his offense time.

Every corner in the league knew that it was going to be a quick slant if Wilson threw it.

Would be SMH if I was Lynch. Rode him all the way to the SB and then go away from him at the one.

Of course they discussed this on ESPN radio all day yesterday. The stats went something like: Lynch tried to score from the 1 yard line 4 times all year. He scored once with an average gain of -1 yards.

Knowing those stats and the fact that there were 3 WRs in the game for Seattle, a pass seems to make sense on 2nd down with 30 seconds on the clock and 1 timeout. Butler made an amazing play. End of story. Coaches maximize the match ups and play the odds, this time an uncontrolled variable beat the odds. 8 or 9 times out of 10 that pass is either incomplete or TD and the discussion would be completely different.

Originally posted by iowabucfan:
Of course they discussed this on ESPN radio all day yesterday. The stats went something like: Lynch tried to score from the 1 yard line 4 times all year. He scored once with an average gain of -1 yards.

Knowing those stats and the fact that there were 3 WRs in the game for Seattle, a pass seems to make sense on 2nd down with 30 seconds on the clock and 1 timeout. Butler made an amazing play. End of story. Coaches maximize the match ups and play the odds, this time an uncontrolled variable beat the odds. 8 or 9 times out of 10 that pass is either incomplete or TD and the discussion would be completely different.
Pete Carroll is a scumbag, but he did make the right call to maximize their statistical likelihood of scoring. Wilson should have done a better job of throwing the receiver open with the DB playing inside by putting the ball on his back shoulder.

Crazy thing is NE practiced this play and were prepared for the scenario. The entire thing is so much more chess than checkers it's not funny.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

I'd bet you would find an NFL corner that would be wary of a fade if they threw. Like to the really tall reciever that had over 100 yds in the game.

It's easy after the fact isn't it.

That said, He should have run Lynch.

He should have run Lynch, but I understand their thinking on throwing on 2nd down. Passing on 2nd down would have allowed them to run on 3rd and 4th down. If they had run on 2nd down and got stuffed, they would have had to use their last timeout and it would have been a big risk to run on 3rd and 4th down. They probably would have been forced to pass on 3rd and 4th down. They needed a TD or incompletion on 2nd down. Obvioiusly the int was disaster for the Seahawks, but the Pats corner made a great play on the ball. I get why Seattle did what they did.

Now I am no coach and don't claim to be an expert... but personally, like I have heard others say, I don't think a pass was necessarily the bad call, but the particular pass play was.

That play was in such a tight area, that the chances of something bad happening were high. I thought they could have rolled out Wilson and given him a run pass option with someone running at the pylon and maybe someone across the back. That gives him the option to run it or throw it away if it isn't there.

Then you can run it twice with Lynch if it doesn't work. The play they called was such a reactionary play rather than allowing a play to happen.

didn't watch the game cutty so I am going to ask a honest 2 part question. how much time was left and how many TO did the Seahawks have to allow Lynch to go for it twice by running it?

Originally posted by CuttyDoesIt:
What are the odds that lynch gets one yard with 3 attempts?
If the first two had failed, he wouldn't have gotten a third. Seattle only had one timeout left.

And Seattle had given it to Lynch in a similar situation four times during the regular season, and Lynch scored once. (And Vince Wilfork is the Pat's NT.)

Nothing is risk-free. I think Seattle was correctly trying to maximize the odds of scoring. I assume they were thinking: throw on second down and score or stop the clock; run Lynch on third down and score or use the timeout; then run best play for the situation on fourth down.

Even the play wasn't terrible. They assumed (correctly) that the LBs would have to step up to respect the run, and that the DBs would have to be in man coverage. They just read the pick-cross and switched it very well, and the ball probably should have been thrown numbers to back shoulder.

Here's a pretty good rule of thumb in all competitive activities defined by a single win or loss:

If you think you are better than the other guy and the whole enchilada is on the line do what you do best. It sucks if the other guy beats you on your best ground but at least you know you really did give it your best.

What do the Patriots do best? Outsmart their opponents. What do the Seahawks do best? Power run.

Why play to your opponent's strength?

Far more goats than heroes are born from trying to out think yourself.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT