ADVERTISEMENT

Are we in for a whole lot of ugly?

LarryMullenJr.

HR Legend
Dec 7, 2011
Once the portal opens is there an exodus? Does it wait until Kirk gives his “after the season evaluation of everything in the program” and says Brian is staying put? Do we lose any recruits?
Just wondering if folks have a sense of dread as to where things could be headed.

Once the portal opens is there an exodus? Does it wait until Kirk gives his “after the season evaluation of everything in the program” and says Brian is staying put? Do we lose any recruits?
Just wondering if folks have a sense of dread as to where things could be headed.
One would think if nothing changes from an offensive perspective, that we would see a few of our skill guys exit through the portal. If we lose recruits as well, it may force a change.

Reactions: iavagabond
No reason to think we're in for a whole lot of ugly at this point, but better beware:

Nebraska and Wisconsin just ponied up HUGE to get new and younger big hires, Bielema has Illinois headed in the right direction, Fleck has made Minnesota better.

We sit here currently with a HC whose risk adverse and seems antiquated in his offensive thought processes and going into his 25th year as HC here.

If BF stays at OC I could see any of the bright spots on O this year leave. The real kick in the nads would be Phil Parker walking out, which wouldn't shock me if no changes are made. HIs stock is pretty high right now. So yeah, keeping BF around could have some major fallout.

If BF stays at OC I could see any of the bright spots on O this year leave. The real kick in the nads would be Phil Parker walking out, which wouldn't shock me if no changes are made. HIs stock is pretty high right now. So yeah, keeping BF around could have some major fallout.
His stock has been high for years. I could see him leaving though if Brian stays realizing it’s a sinking ship.

Reactions: MitchLL
I doubt we see an exodus of offensive skill players considering we don't really have good skill players. KJ would be the closest thing.

Reactions: artradley
I'd have to think about the most painful potential transfers.

1.) Ka Johnson
2.) Lachey
3.) Actually looking at the C position, a healthy Britt could be huge if he plays and doesn't transfer
4.) any WR (depth would be crushed)

Reactions: amahawk
Why would any receiver stay? The oline isn’t going to magically be dominant and they will most likely be catching passes from a quarterback that has zero game experience.

I also wonder if some don’t leave right away if they’re considering it to find their new homes before they miss the spot. They may not wait until the bowl game…since it will be a “lower tier” game anyway.

What makes you think that ? There are always a few quys who leave , but I don't anticipate very many would take that route. We should have a strong team next year.

Reactions: Bishop1971
Yup. These next 4-5 months are gonna determine whether Kirk rides into the sunset or gets exiled and leaves the cupboard bare and we're back to 1998-99 again.

Make no mistake, every other team in the conference is on the uptick, even the sh***y teams (ok maybe not Northwestern), and all Kirk is doing is getting by with an offense that is getting progressively worse and recruits are starting to notice and care.

Kirk needs to resign before new conference. It’s going to get real ugly with these out dated O and D schemes. It’s going to be the Fry latter years but worse since modern teams can put 40 in a half now.

I see no evidence that Parker could leave. He's been with KF here from the first year and at this point him suddenly leaving at 60 years old after 25 years here just seems highly unlikely.

Parker is a KF loyalist at this point is my guess.

Yup. These next 4-5 months are gonna determine whether Kirk rides into the sunset or gets exiled and leaves the cupboard bare and we're back to 1998-99 again.

Make no mistake, every other team in the conference is on the uptick, even the sh***y teams (ok maybe not Northwestern), and all Kirk is doing is getting by with an offense that is getting progressively worse and recruits are starting to notice and care.
Monkey, don't be on a downer. Iowa's recruiting classes have improved for like three or four years in a row. Now keeping them healthy and on the field has been a challenge.

This was the first step back in at least 8 years.

To help you stay positive, an homage:

Teams caught on to the outside zone blocking scheme some years ago by crowding the box and asking their DLinemen to get penetration and same with the linebackers hitting up into gaps. That wrecks all the zone blocking you want to try and causes enough negative plays for the hawks to crimp the offense.

Plus statistically, other teams usually dont worry much about our passing game.

And remember that many players know they are not making the pros and might want to stay at Iowa or another school because of the education they are majoring in.

Don't be shocked to see a few enter the portal once it opens in December. If kids are already thinking it they will pull the trigger in the next few weeks. Iowa also has some guys that could leave early for the draft. Both Van Ness and Lee could be two of them. It will be really interesting to see what Iowa has coming back 40 days from now. Recruiting is also going to be worth watching.

• Wow
Reactions: Dr.PhilSuess
Those that think that if Kirk retires that Parker will hang around are in for a rude awakening.
New coach usually brings in all new assistant coaches. Just don't see Parker in that picture.

Reactions: Dr.PhilSuess
its not all bad if we can keep the current players on the roster & hold the recruiting class together, but the offense must totally change this off season. QB OL & WR additions in the portal are a must!

What makes you think that ? There are always a few quys who leave , but I don't anticipate very many would take that route. We should have a strong team next year.
I don't necessarily think that, which is why I posted the question. Honestly, would you want to stick/come here with this offense the way it has been and continues to be? If you were in the position Johnson, Brecht, etc. are in where 3 catches and 50 yards is considered a good day, and you see what Charlie Jones did, would you consider leaving? I understand wanting to be close to home for family to see you, loyalty (which is almost nonexistent anymore), etc. but I'm genuinely curious what others think.
Just say a Lachey, a Brecht, a Bruce, or a couple other of the bigger names go.....IMO that's a whole lot of ugly, and speaks volumes about the "inner workings" of the program right now.
DON'T get me wrong, I hope it doesn't happen and things go great in the offseason and going forward.

its not all bad if we can keep the current players on the roster & hold the recruiting class together, but the offense must totally change this off season. QB OL & WR additions in the portal are a must!
Problem is that none of that will happen. KF will make some small changes and we will watch BF calling plays for yet another year of disaster.

We sit here currently with a HC whose risk adverse and seems antiquated in his offensive thought processes and going into his 25th year as HC here.
Risk adverse, antiquated, stubborn, are a few of the words that might become obsolete to describe Ferentz in the next few months. If he doesn't wake up fast and realize that he needs to make big changes immediately, the veneer is going to pull away. We will then see that he doesn't have the necessary skills to be a successful HC at Iowa. The one word to describe that is incompetent. That's bad enough. It could get worse. If he doesn't know when to have class and when to exit but continues to harm Iowa football, there's a term for than too. It's called hold hostage. We, the fans, the media, everyone, need to call it exactly what it is if comes to that and stop with the polite terms.

Reactions: frydaze
I'd have to think about the most painful potential transfers.

1.) Ka Johnson
2.) Lachey
3.) Actually looking at the C position, a healthy Britt could be huge if he plays and doesn't transfer
4.) any WR (depth would be crushed)
Why would Lachey transfer? He's in line to be the #1 target next year. TEs get more balls than WRs at Iowa.

Risk adverse, antiquated, stubborn, are a few of the words that might become obsolete to describe Ferentz in the next few months. If he doesn't wake up fast and realize that he needs to make big changes immediately, the veneer is going to pull away. We will then see that he doesn't have the necessary skills to be a successful HC at Iowa. The one word to describe that is incompetent. That's bad enough. It could get worse. If he doesn't know when to have class and when to exit but continues to harm Iowa football, there's a term for than too. It's called hold hostage. We, the fans, the media, everyone, need to call it exactly what it is if comes to that and stop with the polite terms.
As frustrating as he can be to us lots of times, Iowa hasn't been getting steam rolled by others for quite a while. Could that change soon? Of course, especially if conservative Kirk is steadfast that his antiquated offensive style will continue to be the best route to take. Change needs to be put big-time into place right away this winter to stay ahead.

Many criticize McIntosh the AD at Wisconsin for firing Chryst. Instead, I applaud him for trying to be a visionary by moving away from the guy who was letting the program slip little by little since 2020. McIntosh knew the path the Badger program was going was in the wrong direction and he acted upon it before it got out of control. Ferentz needs that same type vision now.

Why would any receiver stay? The oline isn’t going to magically be dominant and they will most likely be catching passes from a quarterback that has zero game experience.
I didn't think our QB play could get any worse. Then Padilla entered the game.When he had time he couldn't find anyone and when he threw it was usually to the other team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT