ADVERTISEMENT

Are You Among America's Top Beef-Eaters?

Nov 28, 2010
Maryland
A news story I just saw said that 12% of Americans, mostly males, eat 50% of all the beef consumed by Americans.

Unsurprisingly, the US leads the world in meat consumption, and beef consumption in particular. On average, each American eats ~270 pounds of meat per year. Not clear from the story if that includes fish, but I assume so.

How much meat do you think you consume a year?

ignoring the easy "OP eats a lot of beef" "OPs mom eats way more beef"....

We are below that average. Consume a lot more pork than beef, prolly on a 3-1 ratio of pork over beef. And fish / chicken probably are the leading meat we consume. 4/2/3/1 pork/fish/chicken/beef

I would guess a couple hundred pounds. Mostly hamburger.

My best personal estimate:

150 lbs cow
75 lbs chicken
50 lbs pig
10 lbs turkey
5 lbs fish/seafood
I usually buy half a hog a year; that’s about 70-80#. Somebody in the family usually shoots a deer every year that gets made into sausage. That’s about 80# once you include the pork trimmings to make the sausage.
Probably add about 125# of beef and 50# of chicken on top of that.

One-percenter:
11740945.JPG

I absolutely am. I eat beef at least 7 times a week. I order my meat from Walden Local (local grass fed farms) and they deliver it monthly. I eat a salad with some sort of beef (steak or roast beef) 5 days a week for lunch. Then I may or may not have beef for dinner.

Sometimes for breakfast after a great workout, steak and eggs!

I’ve followed a paleo diet for about 12 years now. I eat a lot of beef. Diet is protein centric and veggies and fruit.

Quite a bit but fish/seafood and pork I may eat even more than beef. Chicken probably equal to beef.

A news story I just saw said that 12% of Americans, mostly males, eat 50% of all the beef consumed by Americans.

Unsurprisingly, the US leads the world in meat consumption, and beef consumption in particular. On average, each American eats ~270 pounds of meat per year. Not clear from the story if that includes fish, but I assume so.

How much meat do you think you consume a year?
I sure hope so. I'm certainly trying.

Not even remotely close to the top. O would guess maybe 200 pounds of all types of meat in total.

Good for you. Other than falling off the bandwagon occasionally, that's about where I am.

Sometimes I just need a loaded pizza. That's not real meat, is it? That's what I tell myself.

Still do dairy, but not as much as I used to,
I'm vegan, but I cheat occasionally...mainly protein bars (whey) and fish. I ate my bodyweight in cheese, pasta and gelato when I was in Italy. I've managed to avoid meat, though.

Hard to say. Streaky. Some days I might eat 2 pounds of meat, some days none. I would say I’m probably top 10%.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT