ADVERTISEMENT

Are you good at giving oral

ping72

HR Legend
Jan 14, 2009
Presentations? Can you speak to a large group?

I'd rather talk to a few hundred people than have to chit chat with one or two people I don't know.

I had to give a briefing to GEN Perkins, the TRADOC Commander. He said he appreciated the detail but also the brevity. I told him that the root word of briefing is brief, so I stick to that when I speak. He laughed and gave me his Commander's Coin.

Reactions: poophawk and IACub
I have to speak to about 200 people once a year. I kind of choke every time. A few years ago I had to speak in Minnesota to over 300. Worst speech of my life. I sounded like I wanted to cry. Now don't get me wrong, I don't get nervous, and I'm kind of a wing it (and yes @cigaretteman, a wing nut too.) kinda guy, but I always think I leave meat on the bone.

So I have an employee with me in Minnesota. I think I'm sounding like I want to cry. Weirdest thing that's ever happened to me. I just couldn't get my normally above average voice inflection to work.

So I finish, the meeting concludes, I get in the car with my man and ask him if it sounded like I wanted to cry. He looks at me and says, "I thought you were crying. It was awful!!"

Oh well, we all have bad days.

Good learning experience for an old bastard like me, and honestly, I laugh about every time I think about it. Wish I could have blamed it on illegal drugs. :confused:

I think I do alright
smoking,alone,bed,smoke,woman,smoking,sexy-886123894477bcf62f8f4ed2ee2d7c9a_h_large.jpg

oh wait, never mind, you meant talking...

I've never had to do presentations to large audiences in person ... Done a few over the phone with 300+ participants but that's not the same as in person ... (in my opinion ... on the phone I can at least juggle my biscuits or pick my nose)

99% of my meetings are on the phone. I lend communication support to a particular leader within my organization so I need to be on my game when drafting her speeches and articles, etc., and then backing up my work ...

I was scared to death of this in high school so I faced my fear and joined the speech club. Did improv because I figured that would be the hardest thing. I ended up going to state.

I think this set me on my path as a sales rep. Fast forward to 2001 I began doing Daily sales presentations in SF and landed PG&E as an account. Ended up training 10,000 employees in classes of 500 in auditoriums around Northern CA.

My next job more of the same. Ended up doing weekly trainings for classes up to 30 or so people. Went on to be a trainer.

Worst presentation I had to do was for the president of my company and other executives to become a corporate trainer. I was picked and trained all new hires and tenured reps for two years.

I'm still nervous before every presentation but people told me they can't tell so I just roll with it. The larger the class the better because you don't have to look people in the eye.

I usually scan the crowd looking at people's foreheads.

Smaller classes I ask a lot of questions and while they are responding I think of the next thing I'm going to say.

CSB

I'll admit I haven't done it much since college. It's always a little nerve wracking to start, but once you get going and see the reaction, it gets easier.

I hate giving lectures. I enjoy teaching and having med students around, but speeches are terrible. I'm dreading having to give a Grand Rounds next year.

Reactions: unIowa
I've spoken in front of around 150 strangers before. I have to give a talk in about 2 weeks to 2500 which is being recorded and distributed after the meeting.

Reactions: unIowa
I get the chance to speak in board rooms often and have presented in front of audiences up to 300...I much prefer the board room where it is less presenting but rather more strategizing all at the same table.

I speak in front of all 65-75 of my employees every week at our companies all-staff meeting.

Then at the summer picnic and Christmas party it's all employees plus their spouses/significant others/life partners/etc/etc.

For the most part I wing every speech.

Oh, and my wife says I am great at oral

I need to be better but at my last non-profit I regularly spoke in front of 50-100 people. I don't get the same opportunity anymore but I look forward to doing it again when I'm top dawg.

I have anxiety and panic disorder. So if I have to speak to more than 2 people, weather I know them or not, i start thinking of ways I can kill them and get away with it.

Reactions: birdforpar
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT