ADVERTISEMENT

Are you in favor of the college free agency?

Is NIL/Transfer Portal working like intended?

• Yes

Votes: 16 27.6%
  • No

Votes: 42 72.4%

• Total voters

Sharky1203

HB All-American
Gold Member
Sep 14, 2023
I'm just wondering what people think. I agree with the NIL but the transfer portal is another issue. Let me know how you feel about it. It seems to be working for the most part in wrestling, but other sports is where I'm seeing issues.

I think it works as expected. The as expected is a big shift in the way the college sports has worked for 100 years so is causing a need to change how those sports are coached. I personally am totally ok with students attending going wherever they feel most comfortable.

I think it works as expected. The as expected is a big shift in the way the college sports has worked for 100 years so is causing a need to change how those sports are coached. I personally am totally ok with students attending going wherever they feel most comfortable.
100%, but I was just looking at Chubba Purdy. Started in Florida St. then to Nebraska now is in the portal again. How many times is too much. When a young athlete leaves high school they are usually 17-19 years old. They can be wow'd and influenced to maybe make a decision that long turn wasn't what is best. So I understand the want to be closer to home, or change in coached, or even playing time, but seems it's gotten a bit too much. IMO

100%, but I was just looking at Chubba Purdy. Started in Florida St. then to Nebraska now is in the portal again. How many times is too much. When a young athlete leaves high school they are usually 17-19 years old. They can be wow'd and influenced to maybe make a decision that long turn wasn't what is best. So I understand the want to be closer to home, or change in coached, or even playing time, but seems it's gotten a bit too much. IMO
Yeah it's a challenge for sure but I think good coaches tend to benefit from it while poor coaches suffer from it. Either way I think coaches get paid enough to figure it out.

Reactions: Sharky1203
It is a mess and going to get much worse! The NCAA is garbage and does not have a clue! What this basically is now is, some schools will flourish while most will become feeder programs. You already see it pretty clearly in a bunch of sports.

If a kid comes out of HS and takes what he feels is his best offer going to say a small school. Kid does well, he immediately looks to transfer. I guess you could say, well good for him, but it kinda sucks for the "have nots!!!"

I mean any coach who is trying to build a program but does not have the ALL MIGHTY DOLLAR is sh*t outa luck! He could do a great job recruiting, maybe picking up a few stud kids, finding a few "diamonds in the ruff" etc.... Work his tail off coaching, off-season training, developing new techniques and on and on.....

Then a kid does well and off he goes! It is one thing in sports like Wrestling, whole other in a sport like Football where you could lose a key player like your starting QB!!!

Good basketball and football players have been exploited by their schools and the NCAA for years who make millions and millions off of them in exchange for a few tens of thousands in education costs.

So I’m all for them getting their cash. But you can’t really have vastly different rules for just a few sports, so wrestling is along for the ride.

I’m fine with that.

Not to mention, some athletes get stuck in very abusive situations with coaches who use scholarships as guarantees of indentured servitude. This helps hold them accountable.

It is a mess and going to get much worse! The NCAA is garbage and does not have a clue! What this basically is now is, some schools will flourish while most will become feeder programs. You already see it pretty clearly in a bunch of sports.

If a kid comes out of HS and takes what he feels is his best offer going to say a small school. Kid does well, he immediately looks to transfer. I guess you could say, well good for him, but it kinda sucks for the "have nots!!!"

I mean any coach who is trying to build a program but does not have the ALL MIGHTY DOLLAR is sh*t outa luck! He could do a great job recruiting, maybe picking up a few stud kids, finding a few "diamonds in the ruff" etc.... Work his tail off coaching, off-season training, developing new techniques and on and on.....

Then a kid does well and off he goes! It is one thing in sports like Wrestling, whole other in a sport like Football where you could lose a key player like your starting QB!!!
So why is the hard work of the coach more important than the hard work of the players??

I don’t see how a coach making a few million a year having to recruit/train a new QB is more unfair than denying an athlete at the chance to make money.

Reactions: el dub

Seems like the NCAA is more interested in coaches and players talking bad about officials than they are doing much else.

Good basketball and football players have been exploited by their schools and the NCAA for years who make millions and millions off of them in exchange for a few tens of thousands in education costs.

So I’m all for them getting their cash. But you can’t really have vastly different rules for just a few sports, so wrestling is along for the ride.

I’m fine with that.

Not to mention, some athletes get stuck in very abusive situations with coaches who use scholarships as guarantees of indentured servitude. This helps hold them accountable.
Which I agree to an extent. But let's remember these places are for higher education and not sports. So, if they are going for just the sports it defeats the propose of education. In that I say if that's what they want then just go Pro and the Pros need to change their age requirements.

The Univ. shot themselves in the foot making all the money off the players likeness, so NIL is good. I'm just not for the transfer every year thing.

I’m in favor of Nil as I’m in favor of athletes getting paid .

Nil I think comes in many forms , there is a clear distinction in my eyes for wealthy donors hiring student athletes as spokespeople vs the Olivia Dunn s of the world who make there money from social media so to speak.

I suspect we will see tweaks to the rules as things unfold.

Funny though because IMO Nil opens up more corruption possibilities than mindless sports betting does .

NCAA v Alston (2021) was the Big Bang for intercollegiate athletics; the Supreme Court finding NCAA rules limiting education related income was in violation of the (Sherman) Anti-Trust Act (1890). And things changed.

In hindsight it seems unlikely the NCAA envisioned the rise/evolution of NIL. Note that for the most part, the free-market works for other elements of our society. Although seemingly revolutionary at the moment, given some time and distance the NIL paradigm will also work for intercollegiate athletics. See Caitlin Clark.

Which I agree to an extent. But let's remember these places are for higher education and not sports. So, if they are going for just the sports it defeats the propose of education. In that I say if that's what they want then just go Pro and the Pros need to change their age requirements.

The Univ. shot themselves in the foot making all the money off the players likeness, so NIL is good. I'm just not for the transfer every year thing.
The higher education component went out the window when university presidents decided to take the media $ and shuttle their athletes across the country. NCAA also said they couldn’t make a playoff happen years ago because of classes missed. It was nonsense then and is proving to be a joke now as more and more classes are missed because they figured out how to make more $ off the expanded competition.

If the NCAA could figure out a way to make $ off a dual championship without canibalizing the traditional NCAA tourney they surely would.

I agree, the universities brought this upon themselves with greed.

• Love
Reactions: Sharky1203
The higher education component went out the window when university presidents decided to take the media $ and shuttle their athletes across the country. NCAA also said they couldn’t make a playoff happen years ago because of classes missed. It was nonsense then and is proving to be a joke now as more and more classes are missed because they figured out how to make more $ off the expanded competition.

If the NCAA could figure out a way to make $ off a dual championship without canibalizing the traditional NCAA tourney they surely would.
I was saying that in the 90's. They just realized that they had to do something because guys are opting out of bowl games now, so the bowls have become so ho hum. That's the only reason for the expansion in teams. The conference TV is driving the huge conference re-alignment. I loved it when the Big10 got it's own channel, but now I see all it did was kill smaller conferences. Too bad.

I’m not sure why people have issues with the transfer portal. The only thing the portal did was replace athletes picking up the phone and calling coaches. It’s a quick way to notify them all with the click of a mouse. That’s it. The only transfer rule that changed in sports like wrestling and other smaller sports is coaches are now Prohibited from blocking the transfers like Virginia Tech did. Wrestlers have always been able to transfer without sitting out a year as long as the other school released them. Transfer rules and the portal are not mutually exclusive.

Reactions: burk11
There are things I like about it and things I really don’t like about it. I think it could work a lot better if the NCAA knew their ass from a hole in the ground. Football and basketball are the only ones I see having an issue. I think there are circumstances where I would totally support a kid leaving but there are others where it’s just a product of I am not playing so I am leaving. Product of participation awards…

I’m not sure why people have issues with the transfer portal. The only thing the portal did was replace athletes picking up the phone and calling coaches. It’s a quick way to notify them all with the click of a mouse. That’s it. The only transfer rule that changed in sports like wrestling and other smaller sports is coaches are now Prohibited from blocking the transfers like Virginia Tech did. Wrestlers have always been able to transfer without sitting out a year as long as the other school released them. Transfer rules and the portal are not mutually exclusive.
It is true. student athletes have always been able to transfer, but there were restrictions on it. You could transfer once, after that there were a ton of conditions that had to be met.

The only issue I have is smaller programs (many football) recruits a good player and gets them into the program and develops them only to lose them in a quick transfer. Big schools can recover better than smaller schools with this. Now I see the smaller schools getting better because they can pull players that have been developed at the larger programs.

So, that's my question. Is this new way a good one? I personally like it until a good player leaves my beloved Hawks. My second reason is a place like Iowa can get a not so highly recruited player and develop them into a good player without them wanting to transfer for playing time. But the higher lever player may transfer. Kind of a Ying & Yang type of deal.

It is true. student athletes have always been able to transfer, but there were restrictions on it. You could transfer once, after that there were a ton of conditions that had to be met.

The only issue I have is smaller programs (many football) recruits a good player and gets them into the program and develops them only to lose them in a quick transfer. Big schools can recover better than smaller schools with this. Now I see the smaller schools getting better because they can pull players that have been developed at the larger programs.

So, that's my question. Is this new way a good one? I personally like it until a good player leaves my beloved Hawks. My second reason is a place like Iowa can get a not so highly recruited player and develop them into a good player without them wanting to transfer for playing time. But the higher lever player may transfer. Kind of a Ying & Yang type of deal.
Taking NIL out of the equation, I think it’s great for the athletes win or lose. The NCAA saw the error in their ways and reestablished the one time transfer rule for undergrads and appear to be holding tight on that.

I think the real question for the smaller football/basketball programs is, are they losing top players because the one year loss of eligibility is gone or is it because they are illegally being recruited by larger programs with $$ while the NCAA sits back and and refuses to enforce rules that are in place to prevent it. I think we both know it is the latter.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT