ADVERTISEMENT

Army intelligence analyst arrested for allegedly selling U.S. secrets

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Federal prosecutors have arrested a soldier and intelligence analyst who allegedly sold national security secrets related to military weapons, exercises and development plans to a man who purported to be a Hong Kong-based geopolitical consultant, according to a federal indictment filed this week in Tennessee.

Sign up for Fact Checker, our weekly review of what's true, false or in-between in politics.

Korbein Schultz, who served in the Army, received 14 payments totaling $42,000 between June 2022 and around October 2023, according to the indictment. He is charged with multiple crimes, including conspiracy to obtain and disclose national defense information and bribery of a public official.

Part of Schultz’s Army duties included training members of his unit on how to properly handle, store and disseminate classified and sensitive government information. He was arrested Thursday on the Fort Campbell military base, which is along the Kentucky and Tennessee border.

Schultz held a “top secret security clearance,” according to the indictment, which is the clearance that is required to access the most sensitive secrets. He also was permitted to access materials known as sensitive compartmented information, which is a more protected subset of top-secret information that includes material derived from secret sources and closely guarded intelligence methods.
“Today’s arrest shows that such a betrayal does not pay — the Department of Justice is committed to identifying and holding accountable those who would break their oath to protect our nation’s secrets,” Assistant Attorney General Matthew G. Olsen of the Justice Department’s National Security Division said in a statement.
This indictment is the latest case to reveal how Americans with access to the nation’s most protected secrets can be prosecuted for allegedly circumventing the laws and safeguards that are meant to protect the information. Earlier this week, Jack Teixeira, who served in the Massachusetts Air National Guard, pleaded guilty in federal court to charges that he leaked a trove of U.S. intelligence documents last year on Discord, an online chat platform popular with video gamers.

Former president Donald Trump is set to stand trial for allegedly retaining classified information at his Florida home after he left the White House in 2017 — and then thwarting officials’ attempts to retrieve them. He has pleaded not guilty to the charges.

According to the indictment against Schultz, the soldier sold the secrets knowing that they could damage the United States. The purported Hong Kong-based consultant — whom the indictment identifies as Conspirator A — recruited Schultz and asked him to help him obtain specific information, such as what the U.S. plan would be if Taiwan came under military attack.
Among the information that Schultz provided to Conspirator A, per investigators: documents about the High Mobility Artillery Rocket System (HIMARS), information on hypersonic equipment, studies on the future development of U.S. military forces, studies about countries such as China, and summaries of military drills and operations.

Schultz is also accused of handing over Air Force manuals related to specific aircraft and weapons systems. Distributing these materials violates the Arms Export Control Act, according to the indictment.
He allegedly communicated with Conspirator A through multiple encrypted channels online. Schultz was allegedly told he would be paid more money for information he sent that had higher classification levels.
At one point, according to the indictment, Conspirator A offered Schultz more money if a document about U.S. Navy exercises in the Philippine Sea that he provided contained classified information.
“I hope so! I need to get my other BMW back!” Schultz allegedly responded.

On Nov. 27, Conspirator A asked Schultz if they could speak on the phone to “to discuss work for the next year,” according to the indictment. The two then allegedly discussed their work plans.
“The unauthorized sale of such information violates our national security laws, compromises our safety, and cannot be tolerated,” U.S. Attorney Henry C. Leventis for the Middle District of Tennessee said in a statement.

And yet trump is still living free at mar a lago with America's classified intelligence, sharing it with who knows.
as hesitant as i would normally be to defend donald trump on anything...

having, improperly storing, and even avoiding turning over classified information is very different than actively selling it.

having, improperly storing, and even avoiding turning over classified information is very different than actively selling it.

You don't remember Trump giving classified documents on Israel to Russia?

Reactions: BGHAWK and lucas80
What the hell. These seem to be a new trend.

My guess is either it was always happening and we didn't hear about it as much or possibly that our enemies have found new ways of contacting members of our military who might have access to sensitive or classified information.

I'm thinking maybe the 2nd one. I mean think social media. . . before social media how could a Chinese intelligence official get ahold of one of these people without setting off too many alarms. Now with social media you just look for a guy doing a specific job and DM him asking if he's interested in making a little money.

Reactions: cigaretteman
It’s nice that you believe that Trump didn’t share classified intel to foreign adversaries.
nothing related to that is in his federal indictment

and i don't have any reason to believe the special counsel would have chose not to include those in the charges if they were warranted

hope the article inspires scammers to refocus their efforts. instead of scamming old people and small companies scammers should scam these spies. setup profiles on facebook and/or linkedin that suggest access to advanced military shit and when the spies make contact offer to send them stuff and scam the bad guys out of $$. not everyone can pull it off but surely the world's better scammers could make bank and spare the common man.

Interesting I was in nearly exact job, probably, in nearly that exact place. If he onky had access to local unit stuff, like brigade level or lower it really isn’t that damaging. The highly damaging stiff doesn't really filter down that far. Even at the division level.

Doesn’t make it right or ok but I don’t think it’s that damaging.

Interesting I was in nearly exact job, probably, in nearly that exact place. If he onky had access to local unit stuff, like brigade level or lower it really isn’t that damaging. The highly damaging stiff doesn't really filter down that far. Even at the division level.

Doesn’t make it right or ok but I don’t think it’s that damaging.

According to the indictment against Schultz, the soldier sold the secrets knowing that they could damage the United States. The purported Hong Kong-based consultant — whom the indictment identifies as Conspirator A — recruited Schultz and asked him to help him obtain specific information, such as what the U.S. plan would be if Taiwan came under military attack.
Among the information that Schultz provided to Conspirator A, per investigators: documents about the High Mobility Artillery Rocket System (HIMARS), information on hypersonic equipment, studies on the future development of U.S. military forces, studies about countries such as China, and summaries of military drills and operations.

I'm not a military guy but outside of the "summaries of military drills and operations" a lot of this stuff sounds pretty high level. Information as to the US plans if Taiwan was attacked, information on HIMARS . . .

nothing related to that is in his federal indictment

and i don't have any reason to believe the special counsel would have chose not to include those in the charges if they were warranted
Smith kept the case streamlined. I am sure there are threads here somewhere about the Australian businessman who said Trump told him stuff about our nuclear sub capabilities.

Reactions: fsu1jreed
wood-gallows-scaffold-scaffolding-execution-capital-punishment-hanging-JA69AY.jpg

Reactions: VodkaSam
Smith kept the case streamlined. I am sure there are threads here somewhere about the Australian businessman who said Trump told him stuff about our nuclear sub capabilities.
That was pratt from pratt industries.
Trump was trying to help them decide to buy us subs vs other countries.

I would think the offer would be a life altering amount of F’u money before anybody would do it.

Not even $4000 a payment?

True.

There is no doubt in my mind, however, that he showed either leaders or agents from foreign countries some of what he had.

Reactions: cigaretteman
One of the richest Aussies with alot of influence.
I know who he is and have a couple customers who know him pretty well.
So what? He’s a private citizen and EVEN if he was in their government an ex president isn’t allowed to give out top secret information.
What about this is confusing to you? To paperboard guys also handle nuclear sub purchases?

Reactions: fsu1jreed
So what? He’s a private citizen and EVEN if he was in their government an ex president isn’t allowed to give out top secret information.
What about this is confusing to you? To paperboard guys also handle nuclear sub purchases?
You really think he gave out top secret information?
Wow.

You really think he gave out top secret information?
Wow.
Well, Pratt said Trump did, so, I guess you'll have to decide if you want to believe the guy Trump told, or do you want to keep looking stupid pushing a lie. You seem comfortable with the latter, so I'm not holding my breath you'll admit to reality.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT