ADVERTISEMENT

U.S. Navy petty officer based in Japan charged with espionage

alaskanseminole

HR Legend
Oct 20, 2002

U.S. Navy petty officer based in Japan charged with espionage​

Eleanor Watson, Caitlin Yilek
Updated Thu, February 22, 2024 at 8:45 AM CST·1 min read

Washington — A Navy sailor who was based in Japan was charged by the U.S. military with espionage for allegedly giving classified information to an employee of a foreign government.

Bryce Pedicini, a chief petty officer fire controlman, is accused of providing documents to an employee of a foreign government at least seven times between November 2022 and February 2023 in Hampton Roads, Virginia, according to a charge sheet obtained by CBS News.

In May 2023, in Yokosuka Japan, he tried to pass photographs that showed the screen of a computer connected to the military's classified network.
Bryce Pedicini / Credit: U.S. Navy Photo

Bryce Pedicini / Credit: U.S. Navy Photo

He was providing the information "with reason to believe that it would be used to the injury of the United States and to the advantage of a foreign nation," the charge sheet said, adding that it was "relating to the national defense." It's unclear what exact documents he passed or to what nation. Pedicini is also accused of failing to report a foreign contact and the solicitation of classified information by an unauthorized person.

The Navy confirmed Wednesday that a sailor assigned to Japan-based destroyer USS Higgins was under investigation and legal proceedings are underway.

"A sailor assigned to the Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer USS Higgins (DDG 76) is suspected of mishandling classified documents and information. The incident remains under investigation and legal proceedings continue," Cmdr. Arlo Abrahamson, a spokesperson for U.S. Naval Surface Force, said in a statement.

Pedicini's service record from the U.S. Navy says he enlisted in 2009 and served on a number of destroyers. He was promoted to chief in 2022.

"Images of a S.I.P.R. computer screen!" ROTFL We don't spell out the acronym. We just say "Sipper" like we don't say, H.R.O.T., we say "Atche-Rot". Civilians.... 🤣

Secret Internet Protocol Router Network (SIPRNet)

You are being too kind. Throw him off the ship and let him think about it before he drowns

Should we bring back keel hauling? Sheesh

The punishment should be based on what level of classified information was trying to be passed. But def. a dishonorable discharge and some prison time. The amount based on how valuable the secrets would be.

The punishment should be based on what level of classified information was trying to be passed. But def. a dishonorable discharge and some prison time. The amount based on how valuable the secrets would be.
^THIS^

There's a reason documents have classification tiers and they are 100% based on its [document content] impact to National Security.

Top Secret: Shall be applied to information, the unauthorized disclosure of which reasonably could be expected to cause exceptionally grave damage to the national security.

Secret: Shall be applied to information, the unauthorized disclosure of which reasonably could be expected to cause serious damage to the national security.

Confidential: Shall be applied to information, the unauthorized disclosure of which reasonably could be expected to cause damage to the national security.

What he disclosed and who he disclosed it to is extremely important. For example, both Trump and Biden were identified as having mishandled TS/SCI documents. That is about as bad as it gets outside of unacknowledged SAP information. So the next step is determining whether or not the mishandled information was disclosed and who it was disclosed to. It would fall under the definition and parameters of "practices dangerous to security" at best or the actual divulgence of classified information.

^THIS^

There's a reason documents have classification tiers and they are 100% based on its [document content] impact to National Security.

Top Secret: Shall be applied to information, the unauthorized disclosure of which reasonably could be expected to cause exceptionally grave damage to the national security.

Secret: Shall be applied to information, the unauthorized disclosure of which reasonably could be expected to cause serious damage to the national security.

Confidential: Shall be applied to information, the unauthorized disclosure of which reasonably could be expected to cause damage to the national security.

What he disclosed and who he disclosed it to is extremely important. For example, both Trump and Biden were identified as having mishandled TS/SCI documents. That is about as bad as it gets outside of unacknowledged SAP information. So the next step is determining whether or not the mishandled information was disclosed and who it was disclosed to. It would fall under the definition and parameters of "practices dangerous to security" at best or the actual divulgence of classified information.

Personally I'm sort of questioning how high of a level of classified information a petty officer would have access to from a terminal on a destroyer.

My guess is that the stuff he sold was probably not very big.

Personally I'm sort of questioning how high of a level of classified information a petty officer would have access to from a terminal on a destroyer.

My guess is that the stuff he sold was probably not very big.
Rank has nothing to do with classification level. My daughter is read-in for TS/SCI, TK and some others she's not allowed to disclose. She's had that access since she was an E-3. She has the proper need-to-know and mission parameters (need-to-know is very under-rated considered).

That said, he likely only had a SECRET clearance and the terminal he was taking photos of(SIPRNet) is only accredited for SECRET Collateral, so there's no way he disclosed anything nearly as damaging as Snowden.

Rank has nothing to do with classification level. My daughter is read-in for TS/SCI, TK and some others she's not allowed to disclose. She's had that access since she was an E-3. She has the proper need-to-know and mission parameters (need-to-know is very under-rated considered).

That said, he likely only had a SECRET clearance and the terminal he was taking photos of(SIPRNet) is only accredited for SECRET Collateral, so there's no way he disclosed anything nearly as damaging as Snowden.

I had my SCI straight out of Tech school, hell I think I worked with 20 or so people and we only had one with 4 stripes and another with 5 or 6. SI/TK/B/Alphabet was all we really ever handled.

I thought SECRET was reserved for the chow halls menu...what the hell value is there in SECRET messages?

Hell one of our locations on base was in a fenced off area with three buildings on a couple of acres.

You had to have a SECRET clearance and access code just to pass the chain link fence.

Reactions: alaskanseminole
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT