ADVERTISEMENT

Army play by play?

Grace talking up NF and bonus points. :)
Frustrating
New faces again tonight
A lot different next week and next month
Guys got to take adv of opportunites.
No Terry Brands as they have to load a bus to Albany (the capital of NY)

Tough meet.
I was traveling for the fist 4 matches and kept rooting for BT and reviews.
Not sure about tomorrow night, would love to do some PBP but, like Real, I am day to day.

Grace was impressed with Army campus and the young people.
Martinson is another true freshman to wrestle for Brands.
I can think of four more. Can you name them?

Reactions: AFHawk86
Impressed with Army. They wrestled hard even in the lopsided losses. Army wrestling seems to always have great strength and conditioning. Hawks impressive as well, doubled up the Black Knights on the scoreboard with 4 starters out.

Siebrecht's first win over a top-50 opponent. Good to see him get the major.

Bennett hung in there with a top-60, could've and should've won it.

Harris and Martinson just overmatched. (Hey, Ybarra, seriously...)

Schriever didn't make a compelling case for being the starter, which was his task tonight.

Assad and Warner both looking good.

Overall, left some points on the board, but a decent showing.

Must not follow the team very closely. There’s literally one guy making his debut tonight.

Odd comment is odd and quite frankly uncalled for. He’s one of the true frosh stepping up to the challenge with our top two guys out.
Yeah… That AF is casual as all get out.

Btw, that’s kind of a funny burn from someone sitting at home in a cornfield directed to a Hawk fan who actually attended to the event in New York. Lol

A few thoughts on last nights dual.

1. Tom and Teske weren’t there. I’m hoping this is illness related. I don’t see a reason why Tom wouldn’t be there and I’m hoping Teske didn’t pick up any new dings. If 133 is still an open completions with three matches this weekend it would make sense for Teske and Cullan to split matches. Cullan also had a redshirt available, I’d hate to see him blow it to cover for an illness, so if that’s the case maybe Ybarra should have went. So, I am a little concerned that Teske might be banged up. Coach Terry mentioned getting kicked in the balls over and over again referring to injury. I hope I’m not reading to far into this.

2. Speaking of Cullan I was a little disappointed in his attack rate. He attempted a few shots in the first period, but then kind of shut it down in the third. I thought that was odd given that his pace is a large part of his wrestling.

3. Cobe is gonna make a lot of people uncomfortable at 157. I maintain that he’s improved and 157 is a weak weight this year. He needs to show it continually moving forward, but I’m currently less worried about 157 then I am 133.

4. At 174 we saw the benefit of the new rule imposed this year. Martinson was outclassed but he’s what I would refer to as our emergency option. I’m assuming Drake Rhodes is nursing his finger injury, otherwise I would have liked to have seen him last night and tonight. I’m hoping Swafford is getting healthy. I was looking forward to seeing what he could do given extended time.

Reactions: TarpHawk

1. Tom and Teske weren’t there. I’m hoping this is illness related. I don’t see a reason why Tom wouldn’t be there and I’m hoping Teske didn’t pick up any new dings. If 133 is still an open completions with three matches this weekend it would make sense for Teske and Cullan to split matches. Cullan also had a redshirt available, I’d hate to see him blow it to cover for an illness, so if that’s the case maybe Ybarra should have went. So, I am a little concerned that Teske might be banged up. Coach Terry mentioned getting kicked in the balls over and over again referring to injury. I hope I’m not reading to far into this.

2. Speaking of Cullan I was a little disappointed in his attack rate. He attempted a few shots in the first period, but then kind of shut it down in the third. I thought that was odd given that his pace is a large part of his wrestling.

3. Cobe is gonna make a lot of people uncomfortable at 157. I maintain that he’s improved and 157 is a weak weight this year. He needs to show it continually moving forward, but I’m currently less worried about 157 then I am 133.

4. At 174 we saw the benefit of the new rule imposed this year. Martinson was outclassed but he’s what I would refer to as our emergency option. I’m assuming Drake Rhodes is nursing his finger injury, otherwise I would have liked to have seen him last night and tonight. I’m hoping Swafford is getting healthy. I was looking forward to seeing what he could do given extended time.
It’s a long season. I’m sure Tommy, er, Coach Tom, sat this one out in order to pace himself. He’s not getting any younger.

Since we do not have a true frosh horse at 174 in the stable, assuming we are getting the other two guys back at some point, I like giving multiple true frosh mat time in duals we are going to win big in.

Reactions: el dub and AFHawk86
They could only bring 15 to the NY events, the guys that are still day to day or just not ready to go just yet were not going from the get go. Also Rhodes dislocated his finger last week, so he probably did not make the trip for that reason.

They could only bring 15 to the NY events, the guys that are still day to day or just not ready to go just yet were not going from the get go. Also Rhodes dislocated his finger last week, so he probably did not make the trip for that reason.
Rhodes makes sense Teske being absent did not. I would assume 133, 157, 197, and heavy would have backups. 133 and 157 because the spot isn’t completely settled and 197 and heavy for potential rest before all star duals

Teske not being there is a head scratcher unless he’s sick or injured. Terrys comments post match makes me wonder.

Since we do not have a true frosh horse at 174 in the stable, assuming we are getting the other two guys back at some point, I like giving multiple true frosh mat time in duals we are going to win big in.
Oh believe me I like it too, I wish the rule would have been around 18 yrs ago. I liked what I saw from Rhodes on Sunday and wanted to see more but I assume his finger kept him out.

Rhodes makes sense Teske being absent did not. I would assume 133, 157, 197, and heavy would have backups. 133 and 157 because the spot isn’t completely settled and 197 and heavy for potential rest before all star duals

Teske not being there is a head scratcher unless he’s sick or injured. Terrys comments post match makes me wonder.
Yeah I agree about Teske, he maybe dinged up, but the starter has not been decided and they are rotating so maybe they could only send one of them.

If Teske got injured, it must have been at practice. He looked fine after his match against CBU. Hopefully it is just Schreivers oppurtunity to get up on the pony and ride. Im not sure but I dont think he qualifies for that true freshman redshirt competitions so wouldnt his redshirt be done for this year?

If Teske got injured, it must have been at practice. He looked fine after his match against CBU. Hopefully it is just Schreivers oppurtunity to get up on the pony and ride. Im not sure but I dont think he qualifies for that true freshman redshirt competitions so wouldnt his redshirt be done for this year?
Yes

All questions were answered last year when he wrestled against NW and Illinois. He doesn’t want to be in college for 6 years. He did his time “redshirting” during the free year and now he wants to compete in these 4 years. He knew a starting spot at Iowa was never a guarantee and he’s gonna fight like hell to be the guy this year and the next 2 years before he graduates.

All questions were answered last year when he wrestled against NW and Illinois. He doesn’t want to be in college for 6 years. He did his time “redshirting” during the free year and now he wants to compete in these 4 years. He knew a starting spot at Iowa was never a guarantee and he’s gonna fight like hell to be the guy this year and the next 2 years before he graduates.
This. Cullen has no interest in a red shirt year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT