ADVERTISEMENT

Article II, Section 4

SoMplsHawkI

HR Heisman
Apr 20, 2006
Did the SC just render the Impeachment Clause impotent?

Let's say Biden orders the Sec Of Ed to destroy all student loan records (insert dementia joke to yourself here) and then pardons him for the criminal act. That, to me is a high crime. He's immune, right? Official act, right?

Let's say Biden orders the Sec Of Ed to destroy all student loan records (insert dementia joke to yourself here) and then pardons him for the criminal act. That, to me is a high crime. He's immune, right? Official act, right?
uh no. he can be impeached ('conviction' within the clause is the act of the senate) and removed from office. they were quite clear about that in addressing trump's defense of 'impeachment first'. (Incidentally, a 'high crime' in the impeachment context is simply whatever the house says it is, and need not be an actual crime in 18 usc, hence the silly 'dereliction of duty' impeachments of recent years)

uh no. he can be impeached ('conviction' within the clause is the act of the senate) and removed from office. they were quite clear about that in addressing trump's defense of 'impeachment first'. (Incidentally, a 'high crime' in the impeachment context is simply whatever the house says it is, and need not be an actual crime in 18 usc, hence the silly 'dereliction of duty' impeachments of recent years)
This ^

Impeachment is a tool to remove an official from office. It's separate from criminal prosecution.

He wouldn't have to even pardon himself. Just order the secretary of education to do it and then pardon the secretary of education.

Any communication with a cabinet member is allowed and courts are not allowed to look at motive or content.

The president is essentially immune from any conspiracy crime as long as they are conspiring with a cabinet member.

Impeachment is already irrelevant. The Senate will always be near 50/50. Impossible to get double digits of the Presidents party to convict. Neither side will give up power.

This is why we need to scrap the whole thing and have a redo where we have proportional representation.

We need to go out of our way to get rid of the 2 party system because the 2 party system is what has caused all of our political problems for ages now.

This is why we need to scrap the whole thing and have a redo where we have proportional representation.

We need to go out of our way to get rid of the 2 party system because the 2 party system is what has caused all of our political problems for ages now.
Need a mechanism that calls for new elections. Honestly the whole primary season isn’t needed. Give us 6 weeks.

Reactions: h-hawk
Still got your A material.

When we buying O’Connell’s?
Been a while since I've been out by tower Grove, I'll definitely take you up on that one of these days. I used to go to that burger joint next to the Amsterdam tavern all the time before they closed. Was the best burger in st louis once upon a time :(

Reactions: St. Louis Hawk
Been a while since I've been out by tower Grove, I'll definitely take you up on that one of these days. I used to go to that burger joint next to the Amsterdam tavern all the time before they closed. Was the best burger in st louis once upon a time :(

I recall that place. Good burger.

I was a big fan of Dooley’s before they closed.

Reactions: Scruddy
Need a mechanism that calls for new elections. Honestly the whole primary season isn’t needed. Give us 6 weeks.

I think snap elections when done right can be a good thing. The trick is doing them right. The UK and Canada method are bad IMO. Their heads of government just call them when their polling numbers are high to give them a boost in seats and a fresh 5 year term. That's partially why a party can retain control in these countries for like 15 years.

Ideally you have a method to call for snap elections when necessary but it's harder to do then the head of government just deciding to do it on a whim. I would also suggest that maybe snap elections shouldn't give you a fresh term. Instead maybe if you call for a snap election 2.5 years into a 5 year term, the election is only for people to fill those seats for the next 2.5 years. That way at the very least it doesn't give you a fresh term dropping the incentives to use it as much.

The primary season is kind of dumb. I think parties should just decide their candidates internally through whatever method they think is best. It doesn't have to involve the government hosting an official election for these parties.

Impeachment is already irrelevant. The Senate will always be near 50/50. Impossible to get double digits of the Presidents party to convict. Neither side will give up power.
Impeachment is irrelevant until the GOP stops becoming a cult.

• Haha
Reactions: abby97

What would you have had the Supreme Court rule instead? Think about future consequences for presidents of both parties. Immunity already exists for tort cases it was simply extended to criminal cases. Ya, I know, but Trump.:rolleyes:

Reactions: Scruddy
My question is about what the SC did not what they should've done. You answer seems to indicate that you agree with me that impeachment is now off the table.
No I do not agree with you and neither does anyone else in the legal community.

Who do you know in the legal community? Your parole officer?
In an effort to put this silliness to bed, I'll bet you $1000 that if (i) biden or trump is impeached by the house and removed from office by a senate conviction, and (ii) they appeal to the SCOTUS on the ground that they were immune from the 'high crime' for which they impeached under the reasoning of Trump, then (iii) Scotus will reject the appeal on the ground that it has no jurisdiction to consider an appeal from a presidential impeachment.

In an effort to put this silliness to bed, I'll bet you $1000 that if (i) biden or trump is impeached by the house and removed from office by a senate conviction, and (ii) they appeal to the SCOTUS on the ground that they were immune from the 'high crime' for which they impeached under the reasoning of Trump, then (iii) Scotus will reject the appeal on the ground that it has no jurisdiction to consider an appeal from a presidential impeachment.
How about we make it $10,000 that no impeachment would ever take place because the president would criminally (with no repurcussions because he's immune) and successfully obstruct it? Article 4 is now a solution in search of a problem. How silly is that?

Impeachment is not done by the judicial branch, although the Chief Justice presides. In no way would this be implied to pertain

How about we make it $10,000 that no impeachment would ever take place because the president would criminally (with no repurcussions because he's immune) and successfully obstruct it? Article 4 is now a solution in search of a problem. How silly is that?
define criminally and successfully obstruct it, and i might take you up on that. because somehow, i have a feeling, say, a D-controlled house might sorta do its own thing to a president trump, and an r controlled house might sorta do its own thing to a president [insert d name here]. because if you have not noticed, that's unfortunately the way we roll here. So tell me what specific kind of criminal obstruction you're proposing - assassination? national guards blocking the house from beginning its session? something else? Because if i'm considering a 10k bet, i don't want to be quibbling over semantics when it comes time for me to collect.

define criminally and successfully obstruct it, and i might take you up on that. because somehow, i have a feeling, say, a D-controlled house might sorta do its own thing to a president trump, and an r controlled house might sorta do its own thing to a president [insert d name here]. because if you have not noticed, that's unfortunately the way we roll here. So tell me what specific kind of criminal obstruction you're proposing - assassination? national guards blocking the house from beginning its session? something else? Because if i'm considering a 10k bet, i don't want to be quibbling over semantics when it comes time for me to collect.
I have a feeling semantics aren't the issue.

• Haha
Reactions: Aardvark86
That may change this election. GOP may build a little bit of cushion, like 54-56 senators. Blue states are in deep trouble though. In 2030, they expect to lose 13 EC college votes to solid red states, and then again in 2040, I expect it will be another 13-15 EC votes switch to red states. Effectively, starting with the 2032 POTUS election, I believe that red states will pretty much have the 270 votes to win before the race even starts, and definitely by 2040 they will have it. Now you know why democrats want illegals to sneak in so they can somehow get them legal to vote, without illegals, the Dems have no future.

That may change this election. GOP may build a little bit of cushion, like 54-56 senators. Blue states are in deep trouble though. In 2030, they expect to lose 13 EC college votes to solid red states, and then again in 2040, I expect it will be another 13-15 EC votes switch to red states. Effectively, starting with the 2032 POTUS election, I believe that red states will pretty much have the 270 votes to win before the race even starts, and definitely by 2040 they will have it. Now you know why democrats want illegals to sneak in so they can somehow get them legal to vote, without illegals, the Dems have no future.
Still need 66 to convict. Double digits from either party near impossible.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT