ADVERTISEMENT

As we welcome September 2021: Go Hawks!

cidsports

HB King
The road is long on Saturday, as Week 1 kicks off at Kinnick Stadium.
This game appears to be one that is going 60 minutes or longer, as the hype video reminds us.

• IU will open with a Big Ten foe for the third time in Tom Allen's five campaigns: No. 2 Ohio State (2017) and No. 8 Penn State (2020).
• This marks the 13th time the Hoosiers have started with a ranked opponent and third time in five years.
• Indiana will kick off a campaign against Iowa for the fourth time and the first time since 1980.
• The Hawkeyes own a 2-1 record in the three previous starters with wins in Bloomington (16-7 on Sept. 13, 1980; 27-0 on Sept. 29, 1956).
• IU dropped UI, 30-26, in the lone matchup in Iowa City on Sept. 8, 1979.
• Indiana and Iowa are meeting for the first time since 2018 and the first time at Kinnick Stadium since 2014.
• The Hoosiers have earned victories in their last three road season openers.

Nick Sheridan | Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks
On Michael Penix Jr….

NS: From a physical standpoint, you see the same Michael Penix that we've seen here. He still has a really strong arm, still moves very well, very instinctual player. Mike's had a great camp and we're excited for him.

Michael Penix Jr. | QB | Jr.-R
On his comfortability entering the first game of the season…

MP: I trust that everything is okay. The trainers have been doing a great job of getting me back on the field. As far as all of the injuries, I'm not really worried about that. I just want to go play football.

On Ty Fryfogle's progression over the offseason…
MP: Ty is a very detailed guy. He's always asking if he could do things any better. He works on coming out of his breaks a lot, making sure we are on time. If he feels something is off, he's a guy that is going to come up to me and try to see my feedback on what happened. He's a guy that wants to be great. He's somebody that works extremely hard every day on and off the field, in the weight room and in film study, as well. He's going to be a great part of this offense like he was last year and definitely going to make big plays for us this season.

On preparation for the Iowa defense…
MP: We're just going to take it play by play and take what they give us and make sure that we go out and execute. As long as we go out and execute, I feel like we'll be good. We respect their secondary, but I feel like I have a lot of weapons on the field to get the ball to. It's going to be a great game.

The opponent is far better this opener, but QB Josh Allen was the last highly touted quarterback the Hawkeyes faced.

Charlton Warren | Defensive Coordinator/Linebackers
On Iowa center Tyler Linderbaum…

CW: I think he's a tremendous football player with tons of experience. I think that he has played so many snaps that he is the anchor of that offensive line. I think he's one of their great players that we are going to have to contend with. I think when you have a guy that's that experienced, played that many games, and that talented, that's something you have to will yourself to overcome on defense.

Hopefully, the work ethic of Tyler Linderbaum, dating back to his first start, rubs off on his teammates.

One heck of a game on Saturday. Here's to a great September for the Hawks! One week at a time!

#17 Indiana at #18 Iowa

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News