ADVERTISEMENT

At least one NFL scout didn’t sugarcoat his opinions on Petras and the iowa offense

What's your point? Mine was that Oglesby was purportedly a lights out shooter during practice, but couldn't shoot consistently during games when the lights came on. But break it down for me how I don't understand team defense and good passing.
Fight club if you say one bad word about Mark Jewel or Devan Bawinkle. It’s all splashy offense with some of you guys.

Fight club if you say one bad word about Mark Jewel or Devan Bawinkle. It’s all splashy offense with some of you guys.
When your calling card is shooting, you need to be better than a career 32% three-point shooter. That's not being splashy, that is being competent.

Petras is a serviceable quarterback if given a perfectly clean, long-lasting pocket. Give him any modicum of pressure and he turns to shit in an instant.

Given Iowa's mediocre and inconsistent offensive line play, that was a perfect storm for a totally inept offense.

Could Brian maybe call things better to overcome those deficiencies? Maybe a little. But I don't think even the best OC in the world could have made much lemonade out of Iowa's basket of lemons last year.

What is funny is I think Iowa is likely to look at least average on offense this year with a good QB, a slightly better line and a couple of legit receivers. And all the armchair QBs will be pumping their chests about how Brian "finally listened!" to their complaints. BAU.
The counterpoint is that the best OC in the world wouldn't have let talent get that bad, especially in the era of the portal. Traditional recruiting, transfer portal, good plain ol' player development, position changes, whatever it takes.

Reactions: Pinehawk
The counterpoint is that the best OC in the world wouldn't have let talent get that bad, especially in the era of the portal. Traditional recruiting, transfer portal, good plain ol' player development, position changes, whatever it takes.
Fair points.

I'm just saying I don't think Brian Ferentz is a total football moron that doesn't know how to play call.

We have seen his offenses score around 30 ppg in the past. Given the right tools, he can put out a serviceable if fairly vanilla and predictable offense. Which, given Iowa's defense and special teams, should be good enough for double digit wins and a potential Big 10 West Division title.

Petras is a serviceable quarterback if given a perfectly clean, long-lasting pocket. Give him any modicum of pressure and he turns to shit in an instant.

Given Iowa's mediocre and inconsistent offensive line play, that was a perfect storm for a totally inept offense.

Could Brian maybe call things better to overcome those deficiencies? Maybe a little. But I don't think even the best OC in the world could have made much lemonade out of Iowa's basket of lemons last year.

What is funny is I think Iowa is likely to look at least average on offense this year with a good QB, a slightly better line and a couple of legit receivers. And all the armchair QBs will be pumping their chests about how Brian "finally listened!" to their complaints. BAU.
With Iowa’s and Kirk’s o-scheme, it is a fine, fine line between solid and tragic. L:ast couple of years have been on the “tragic” side of things but one thing about Kirk is his consistency and it all comes from the 5 guys up front (and health)……KIrk’s offense is pretty simple for the most part….when it is blocking well, it is something to see! When nit is defended, it provides plenty of beer runs.

Fair points.

I'm just saying I don't think Brian Ferentz is a total football moron that doesn't know how to play call.

We have seen his offenses score around 30 ppg in the past. Given the right tools, he can put out a serviceable if fairly vanilla and predictable offense. Which, given Iowa's defense and special teams, should be good enough for double digit wins and a potential Big 10 West Division title.
Oh I’m not saying he is necessarily a bad play caller. Only that with the right general in place you would like to think our offense would not be on par with Lickliter’s.

When your calling card is shooting, you need to be better than a career 32% three-point shooter. That's not being splashy, that is being competent.
My bad. I keep forgetting to use the winky eye emoji, and that Republicans aren’t good at humor. I figured a Mark Jewel reference was a giveaway. Should I have gone with Brig Tubbs?
:)

My bad. I keep forgetting to use the winky eye emoji, and that Republicans aren’t good at humor. I figured a Mark Jewel reference was a giveaway. Should I have gone with Brig Tubbs?
I worked for Brig Tubbs' uncle in my second post-college newspaper job.

How is that for a Wednesday Cool Story Bro?

Reactions: GOHOX69 and lucas80
Did you work him for an autograph from Brig?
I did not!

I did consider asking Chuck Bullard (father of Matt) who was the Des Moines Register Iowa City Bureau Chief when I was a correspondent at the Cedar Rapids Gazette for Matt's autograph when he was drafted by the Houston Rockets though.

Newsflash: he did not turn out to be much of a star.

Reactions: cmhawks99
I’m not a republican (independent, to actually leaning left now), and you never know what psychotic argument/position a HORTer will make - my bad!

If we get to a point where the fans are begging to see Petras again, it will be the end of the Ferentz era.
OMG. If this offense, and particularly QB play are just as bad next season, I sure as hell would hope that KF and BF would have the integrity to walk away after the Neb game and have absolutely no interference in the rebuild.

OMG. If this offense, and particularly QB play are just as bad next season, I sure as hell would hope that KF and BF would have the integrity to walk away after the Neb game and have absolutely no interference in the rebuild.

Aren’t there a few other mitigating circumstances? I wish BF would go but if we win 11/12 plus games and score 10 points a game, doing it. I still wouldn’t want the “Architect” of it all…to leave.

Reactions: torbee

totally valid points but that shot at armchair qbs is uncalled for. p was unsuitable for the reasons you listed and the staff took the right countermeasures this year -- one full year after the armchair qbs made their recommendation. we left 5-6 easy wins on the table over the last 2 seasons because of the p word.
on a related note, despite all those losses and horrific offensive output, bf actually might have called his best and most creative games last year trying to adjust for what we trotted out personnel wise. my take is that bf's weakness is offseason and development, he is pretty good on gameday.

Reactions: torbee
totally valid points but that shot at armchair qbs is uncalled for. p was unsuitable for the reasons you listed and the staff took the right countermeasures this year -- one full year after the armchair qbs made their recommendation. we left 5-6 easy wins on the table over the last 2 seasons because of the p word.
on a related note, despite all those losses and horrific offensive output, bf actually might have called his best and most creative games last year trying to adjust for what we trotted out personnel wise. my take is that bf's weakness is offseason and development, he is pretty good on gameday.
Not much to disagree with there.

I would say Iowa got caught with its pants down portal wise at first, but thankfully seems to be getting with the program now.

Had Iowa actually pursued a better starting QB and some functional linemen back in 2019-2020 via portal, last year likely would have looked a lot different.

I get mad at the armchair QBs for not being able to see the bigger picture --- they just scream about "bad playcalling" and a "worthless offense" but don't bother to dig into the WHY.

Reactions: desihawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT