ADVERTISEMENT

B1G Basketball Conference Opponents Next Season

Interested to see how they schedule the west coast teams for away games and vice versa. I assume Iowa will play USC and UCLA in the same week e.g. Thursday and Saturday?
It looks like Washington and Oregon got off easy. They only have to go to the east coast once. UCLA and USC have to go twice, which isn't bad either. Pretty kind all around to the Big Ten's new teams. This will have to change moving forward, I assume. No team has to go cross country more than 2 times.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
Interested to see how they schedule the west coast teams for away games and vice versa. I assume Iowa will play USC and UCLA in the same week e.g. Thursday and Saturday?
Yes, they announced that each midwest/east coast team would only have to do 1 west coast trip a year--either an LA trip or a PNW trip. So the games will be scheduled in the same week.
Similarly, UCLA/USC and Oregon/Washington will likely always do 2 game road trips. For instance when UCLA/USC play their east coast trip this year they will play at Maryland/Rutgers in the same week.

We're basically going back to the old "travel partner" schedule.

It looks like Washington and Oregon got off easy. They only have to go to the east coast once. UCLA and USC have to go twice, which isn't bad either. Pretty kind all around to the Big Ten's new teams. This will have to change moving forward, I assume. No team has to go cross country more than 2 times.
They announced they plan to always schedule this way going forward, is my understanding.

Washington and Oregon should just be glad they are not in Washington State's & Oregon State's shoes. ;)

Amazing how teams now only play 3 teams twice.

GMg4za2X0AA7MY9

It kind of makes the regular season a moot point, not that it wasn't pretty much already.

Will the B1G Tournament Champion eventually be "the" B1G Champion?

It seems like, similar to the NBA, all the regular season will do now is this:
* Eliminate the 3 worst B1G teams
* Provide the seedings of the 15 participating B1G teams

In a way, that's kind of sad,, but I guess it's progress? I hope in the next 5 years they will come to the realization that besides football, conference expansion just doesn't work for basketball and the minor sports. At that point, go back to the original (latest) conference groupings and let college football go its own way, and become a developmental league for the NFL. Otherwise, this is just plain nuts.

Reactions: Franisdaman

I've made this case for years, in particular for basketball. Since the schedules aren't remote the same, it makes no sense in declaring a regular season champ.

Washington and Oregon should just be glad they are not in Washington State's & Oregon State's shoes. ;)

GMg4za2X0AA7MY9
Is it just me or have we played an unusually larger amount of games AT Rutgers and gotten fewer return games in the process?............

Reactions: amahawk

GMg4za2X0AA7MY9
To your point, I wish the BIG had done "pods" so we play H/A vs Minny, Wisky, and then one of either Nebby or Illini.

Reactions: amahawk
Is it just me or have we played an unusually larger amount of games AT Rutgers and gotten fewer return games in the process?............

Both teams have had 7 home games including the last two at Iowa. There was one stretch of three straight in NJ but that's just because Iowa had hosted game one in 2017, they only played once in 2018, and Iowa hosted game two in 2019, so it felt that way for a bit.

I've made this case for years, in particular for basketball. Since the schedules aren't remote the same, it makes no sense in declaring a regular season champ.
I've always considered the conference tourney champs as the conference champs. No doubt finishing first in the regular season is a huge accomplish and should be celebrated but you haven't won the conference yet. That's why there's conference tournaments and a single elimination postseason tournament. You play the season for seeding in tournaments. Most will probably disagree though.

Reactions: SI_NYC and amahawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT