ADVERTISEMENT

Baltimore education....meh

I agree that the school completely let that kid down, but the mom is equally responsible for having no idea how her kid was doing in school for three years, and thinking that even if he was failing all his classes, that he was doing okay.

"His transcripts show he’s passed just three classes in four years, earning 2.5 credits, placing him in ninth grade. But France says she didn’t know that until February."

She pretty much had to be intentionally ignoring his education. Unfortunately, the school was also ignoring it. As was the kid himself. No winners there at all.

I agree that the school completely let that kid down, but the mom is equally responsible for having no idea how her kid was doing in school for three years, and thinking that even if he was failing all his classes, that he was doing okay.

"His transcripts show he’s passed just three classes in four years, earning 2.5 credits, placing him in ninth grade. But France says she didn’t know that until February."

She pretty much had to be intentionally ignoring his education. Unfortunately, the school was also ignoring it. As was the kid himself. No winners there at all.
Yeah, there is all kinds of fail going on in this case.

As a wise man/blithering idiot psychopath once said, rat infested shithole.

"If he works hard he could graduate by 2023"

Hate to be a negative Nelly but I'm betting that doesn't happen. This is a sad story that unfortunately probably plays out in many of our inner cities.

This is effing criminal. Agree that the mom should have been more engaged, but sounds like she has more than she can handle...

France’s son attends Augusta Fells Savage Institute of Visual Arts in west Baltimore. His transcripts show he’s passed just three classes in four years, earning 2.5 credits, placing him in ninth grade. But France says she didn’t know that until February. She has three children and works three jobs. She thought her oldest son was doing well because even though he failed most of his classes, he was being promoted. His transcripts show he failed Spanish I and Algebra I but was promoted to Spanish II and Algebra II. He also failed English II but was passed on to English III.

So this kid will probably go work some crappy minimum wage job, father children that he can't support, and that woman will have three kids and three jobs. And we'll complain that these people need to pull themselves up by their bootstraps.

Technically the mother knew he was failing his classes. I wonder what conversations she had with the school?

This 100% on the mother. You can not force a kid to learn, and you cannot force a parent to take interest in their child.

But this is what happens when the goal is to make the numbers look good rather than address issues without regards to race.

This is effing criminal. Agree that the mom should have been more engaged, but sounds like she has more than she can handle...

France’s son attends Augusta Fells Savage Institute of Visual Arts in west Baltimore. His transcripts show he’s passed just three classes in four years, earning 2.5 credits, placing him in ninth grade. But France says she didn’t know that until February. She has three children and works three jobs. She thought her oldest son was doing well because even though he failed most of his classes, he was being promoted. His transcripts show he failed Spanish I and Algebra I but was promoted to Spanish II and Algebra II. He also failed English II but was passed on to English III.

So this kid will probably go work some crappy minimum wage job, father children that he can't support, and that woman will have three kids and three jobs. And we'll complain that these people need to pull themselves up by their bootstraps.

The US has been throwing money at this problem for going on 50+ years now....at what point will it not be 'the systems' fault?

Reactions: Hawk_82
The system contributed to the problem, but the problem first started with the mother and father.

The US has been throwing money at this problem for going on 50+ years now....at what point will it not be 'the systems' fault?

It’s not the money, it’s the white supremacists that have controlled politics and education in Baltimore for decades that are to blame.

Where's this guy when you need him?
OIP.KNtRqd9myDLJG91CMf-FewHaEK

Reactions: swagsurfer02
"He's stressed and I am too. I told him I'm probably going to start crying. I don't know what to do for him,” France told Project Baltimore. “Why would he do three more years in school? He didn't fail, the school failed him. The school failed at their job. They failed. They failed, that's the problem here. They failed. They failed. He didn't deserve that.”

Oh, honey. Where were you all those years?

1. Educators need to lose their jobs if they don't have clearly documented and accurate proof they did everything within their legal power to hold the parent(s) and student accountable during that time. I think there is probably even criminal neglect of their government job.

2. If this mother has any other school age children, she needs to be evaluate by DFACs to make sure she is a suitable parent... which, this is telling me she isn't.

3. An alternative to starting 9th grade over needs to be found. I'm guessing he is not the only student in this situation. They won't do 3 more years.

If this mother has any other school age children, she needs to be evaluate by DFACs to make sure she is a suitable parent... which, this is telling me she isn't.

Way, way more kids than you’re going to find ‘suitable’ parents for if you adopt this standard.

I think that it is generally agreed upon here that the mother failed the kid horribly.

But, let's look at the other failures.
1. Teachers - At some point through what was likely close to 20 classes any one of his teachers should have forced a conversation with the parent.
2. Registration - He never should have been allowed to register for level 2 classes without passing level 1 classes first.
3. Administration - The kid is late or skips that many days and they aren't forcing the issue with the parent? A kid fails this many classes and they aren't forcing the issue with the parent?
4. Counseling - Did nobody talk to the student about his lack of progress/attendance/etc. to see what was going on? Maybe check in on the mental health of the kid. Or check in to seeing if there is a learning disability involved. Something to prevent this from happening.

Hopefully they have good janitors and lunch ladies because just about everything else in that school is a dumpster fire.

I think that it is generally agreed upon here that the mother failed the kid horribly.
Completely agree. Crappy parenting. Crappy student.
1. Teachers - At some point through what was likely close to 20 classes any one of his teachers should have forced a conversation with the parent.
Maybe they did? I would think the kids report card would also force the issue if the parent(s) chose to invest in their child and chose to look at it. Not to mention, are open houses once a term no longer a thing?
2. Registration - He never should have been allowed to register for level 2 classes without passing level 1 classes first.
Agree (assuming this occurred), but there is such an emphasis on letting kids move on. Teachers appear to have took a stand by giving the little dumbass bad grades.
3. Administration - The kid is late or skips that many days and they aren't forcing the issue with the parent? A kid fails this many classes and they aren't forcing the issue with the parent?
I am guessing they did notify the parent. Lates and tardies I would assume would show up on every transcript. They can't make the parent(s) read it.
4. Counseling - Did nobody talk to the student about his lack of progress/attendance/etc. to see what was going on? Maybe check in on the mental health of the kid. Or check in to seeing if there is a learning disability involved. Something to prevent this from happening.
I would assume his grades would do the talking. The mom had to know the little dumbass was missing school that much. If not then the parent(s) are dumbasses.
Hopefully they have good janitors and lunch ladies because just about everything else in that school is a dumpster fire.
Likely attending the U of Nebraska in the fall

Completely agree. Crappy parenting. Crappy student.
Maybe they did? I would think the kids report card would also force the issue if the parent(s) chose to invest in their child and chose to look at it. Not to mention, are open houses once a term no longer a thing?Agree (assuming this occurred), but there is such an emphasis on letting kids move on. Teachers appear to have took a stand by giving the little dumbass bad grades.I am guessing they did notify the parent. Lates and tardies I would assume would show up on every transcript. They can't make the parent(s) read it.I would assume his grades would do the talking. The mom had to know the little dumbass was missing school that much. If not then the parent(s) are dumbasses.
Likely attending the U of Nebraska in the fall
You agreed on the first one....then assumed excuses for the rest.
I'm not surprised at all.

He reached his senior year and the parent is just now finding out he has only passed 3 classes? Nothing else matters until that is addressed. Nothing else can work until parental involvement at home works. Obviously the school has an issue with truancy and that needs to be their priority, however without knowing what they have or have not tried then it is hard to say much more than that.

there is such an emphasis on letting kids move on

I remember about 15 years ago seeing an Education PhD discussing NYC’s consideration of automatic advancement regardless of passing.
The other commentator was a former teacher and relayed that a kid getting pushed up but lacking the knowledge wouldn’t get it at the next grade because the teacher would be more focused on the other 20 kids learning the grade material.
“It’s not effective education.” Was his final comment.
The rejoinder from the PhD stunned me: “It’s not about effective education, it’s about effective control of children.”

The reasoning being that kids held back were more likely to drop out altogether than their peers who passed and advanced.

The drop outs would end up on the street, engage in crime, etc.

The perspective on the problem was as mind blowing as it was wrong headed.

No doubt kids that struggle in school are more likely to drop out, but are we really doing them, or society, any favors pretending they’re learning and shoving them through the system until they’re 18 and holding a diploma they can barely read?

1. You are correct, but if the parent won't answer the phone there isn't much a teacher can do. At that point it is the responsibility of the guidance department to reach out to parents and address the issues keeping him from school or succeeding.
2. Agreed.
3. See point 1, but agreed. There also needs to be some sort of intervention plan for these kids. Of course, this all requires funding the school probably doesn't get.
4. See point 1, but that likely is also a funding issue. There's only so much on person can do if they have 1000 students to watch over (or whatever it is).

I remember about 15 years ago seeing an Education PhD discussing NYC’s consideration of automatic advancement regardless of passing.
The other commentator was a former teacher and relayed that a kid getting pushed up but lacking the knowledge wouldn’t get it at the next grade because the teacher would be more focused on the other 20 kids learning the grade material.
“It’s not effective education.” Was his final comment.
The rejoinder from the PhD stunned me: “It’s not about effective education, it’s about effective control of children.”

The reasoning being that kids held back were more likely to drop out altogether than their peers who passed and advanced.

The drop outs would end up on the street, engage in crime, etc.

The perspective on the problem was as mind blowing as it was wrong headed.

No doubt kids that struggle in school are more likely to drop out, but are we really doing them, or society, any favors pretending they’re learning and shoving them through the system until they’re 18 and holding a diploma they can barely read?

Data shows that holding kids back another year actually worsens their chances of graduating rather than helping. However, moving them on and hoping for the best doesn't work either. There needs to be some sort of intervention, alternative plan to catch these kids up.

For the record, while the data certainly shows that, I think there are a lot of reasons the kids are failing and most of them aren't school related.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT