ADVERTISEMENT

Bands with great songwriting but mediocre lead singer and vice versa

General Tso

HR Heisman
Nov 20, 2004
What comes to mind? I put Rush in the great songwriting, mediocre lead singer bucket. The badlnd wouldn't have been Rush without Geddy Lee, but they should have found a different singer.

Reactions: Thunderlips71
What comes to mind? I put Rush in the great songwriting, mediocre lead singer bucket. The badlnd wouldn't have been Rush without Geddy Lee, but they should have found a different singer.
Bob Dylan is probably the namesake for awards in this category.

What about the voice of Geddy Lee. How did it get so high? I wonder if he speaks like an ordinary guy.

I think I might have enjoyed The Flaming Lips more with a better vocal performance out of Wayne Coyne. He was not great.

Bob Dylan is probably the namesake for awards in this category.

What about the voice of Geddy Lee. How did it get so high? I wonder if he speaks like an ordinary guy.
Bingo. I kinda wish someone with an actual voice would remake some of his stuff.

I wouldn’t say he’s a band, I don’t think he’s even a songwriter, and I don’t think he’s even remotely good, but a lot of people like Luke Bryan and his voice makes me cringe.

Springsteen, Petty, Willie - Great lyrics, not great voices (but they all rule).

Skid Row - Voice, not lyrics

Reactions: SeaPA
R.E.M. is one that comes to mind not mentioned yet. Great music and lyrics but I hated Stipes whiny nasally voice. I have same as mentioned with Billy Corgan but he could overcome it and rocked harder so got over it. Just about every R.E.M. song would have been better with a better singer.

Anthrax to the top of the list. Excellent metal music with a hair band singer. They could have been so much better.
I liked John Bush better.

If we’re talking metal, it’s Meshuggah for me, I like their music, but their vocalist is boring as hell.

I'm okay with that, but if you said Bon Scott we'd be headed for the Fight Bar.
Agreed. I was shocked and incredibly disappointed after listening to the Back in Black LP for the first time. I was maybe 10 years old and couldn’t stand Johnson. He eventually became tolerable, but Bon Scott is the greatest ever.

Reactions: SeattleHawki
Bingo. I kinda wish someone with an actual voice would remake some of his stuff.
Can’t tell if you’re being sarcastic, but

Make You Feel My Love is a beautiful song, and Adele’s version is fantastic!

Can’t tell if you’re being sarcastic, but

Make You Feel My Love is a beautiful song, and Adele’s version is fantastic!
I knew he had been covers but I had no idea it was that extensive.
I'll check some out, thanks.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT