ADVERTISEMENT

Baseball’s Unwrittens…..

joelbc1

HR King
Gold Member
Sep 5, 2007
you can’t always get what you want!
Watching the Cubs/Red Sox today….Red Sox killing them……Bottom of the 8th the Cubs bring in a position fielder to pitch the 8th….Sox score a bunch more runs…..,17-0 or some such thing into the Visitors 9th….so the Red Sox bring in a position player to pitch that half of the 9th…. Are the Sox saying something to the Cubs?

There's a lot of “unwritten rules” in baseball I dont understand….did the Cubs or the Sox do something out of line?

Watching the Cubs/Red Sox today….Red Sox killing them……Bottom of the 8th the Cubs bring in a position fielder to pitch the 8th….Sox score a bunch more runs…..,17-0 or some such thing into the Visitors 9th….so the Red Sox bring in a position player to pitch that half of the 9th…. Are the Sox saying something to the Cubs?

There's a lot of “unwritten rules” in baseball I dont understand….did the Cubs or the Sox do something out of line?
Think it was a good move on both teams account and see no reason for hard feelings.

Cubs move was common, but sticking in my mind I’ve seen highlights from a large score winning team doing it in relatively recent season.

Just didn’t want to burn a bullpen arm when didn’t need to.

Burn the bullpen? Cubbies won yesterday 8-1……used maybe 2 pitchers….
The Red Sox. It appears to have been a bullpen game - so they used 4 bullpen guys today before the position player.

newman-nice-game.gif

Unwritten rules are dumb. If it is a rule, it is a rule, and be listed
in the rulebook.
  • Do not bunt to break up a no-hitter[9][10]
  • Do not swing on a 3–0 count when your team is comfortably ahead[11]
  • Do not spend your time admiring a home run you hit[2]
  • Do not steal bases if your team is ahead by a significant amount[12]
  • Do not swing at the first pitch of the at-bat if the pitcher has allowed back-to-back home runs[13]
  • Do not work the count if your team is winning or losing by a significant amount[13]
  • Do not rub the spot where you were hit by a pitch[13]
  • Do not walk in front of a catcher or umpire when walking to the batter's box[13]
  • Do not stand on the dirt near home plate when the pitcher is warming up[13]
  • Do not assist a member of the opposing team[13]
  • Do not speak to a pitcher who is in the process of throwing a no-hit

• Do not bunt to break up a no-hitter[9][10]
  • Do not swing on a 3–0 count when your team is comfortably ahead[11]
  • Do not spend your time admiring a home run you hit[2]
  • Do not steal bases if your team is ahead by a significant amount[12]
  • Do not swing at the first pitch of the at-bat if the pitcher has allowed back-to-back home runs[13]
  • Do not work the count if your team is winning or losing by a significant amount[13]
  • Do not rub the spot where you were hit by a pitch[13]
  • Do not walk in front of a catcher or umpire when walking to the batter's box[13]
  • Do not stand on the dirt near home plate when the pitcher is warming up[13]
  • Do not assist a member of the opposing team[13]
  • Do not speak to a pitcher who is in the process of throwing a no-hit
Do you adhere to 100% of these?

Reactions: Jimmy McGill
Yeah the Sox were saying "hey, that looks like fun. We'll try it too."

At first I thought th
It's past grandpa's bedtime.
At first I thought this was a dick comment...but I had read your post first since I had just posted, and then when I reread the background story in the previous comments, the post was hilarious. 😂 I mean JoelBbc seems to be a longtime baseball fan, so I mean c'mon guy, how do you not understand the situation? Uh...lol

Although, assuming he's a Cubs fan maybe...the Cubs (with their long history) are most likely never ahead by enough runs to be in the situation of having the luxury of pitching a position player, so maybe we cut him a little slack for that....but still, seriously man.

And in full-disclosure, this is coming from a Royals fan since the 80's, so I know A LOT about not scoring runs, and A LOT about bad bullpens and just flat out bad pitching overall and blowing through all of them. So yeah, to sum-up this very long story short, very well-versed here on the whole using the shortstop as pitcher thing. 😏 I guess maybe I know and most don't.....Hmm. Nah, bs, most do.

All in fun, but he probably fell asleep already...so no worries on that. :)

I probably about fell asleep writing this though too 🙋‍♂️

Reactions: Derekd3408
That may be the edible talking though (from an Iowa dispensary, no joke even) and making me think this is a legit thought. 👍

Was it "Despensary" by chance in Des Moines? One on 4th St by Fong's and one on north side of Ingersoll and 28thish

I've noticed most head shops and liquor/smoke shops seem to carry two or three brands of the edibles now alongside the kratom but Despensary specializes in the hemp edibles and have a bunch of different stuff you can try if you happen to be in DSM anytime soon. They have a brand Urb where, when it's not sold out, it's 35 10mg gummies for about $17 after tax. If you were ever looking to stock up locally, that's the best deal I've found in central Iowa.

Yeah the Sox were saying "hey, that looks like fun. We'll try it too."

I think the Sox were saying, "Our bullpen sucks, so we're gonna try an outfielder to see if he might be our new closer"

Just didn’t want to burn a bullpen arm when didn’t need to.
This is probably it. I was unaware that Nick Pavetti had been added to the injury list Friday, hence making isnowski an “emergency” starter..Pavetti added to Bello on the DL really crimps their pitching rotation…The Sox have been a MASH unit this season..at one time they had 4of their 8 position starters on the DL and now the pitching staff is being affected… and to dare, their starting pitching has been the best in MLB allowing just a tad over 2 runs a game.

Baseball all is stupid. High school baseball games have become intolerable due to the dumb shit being yelled from dugouts the entire game. It’s like walking to class at Columbia now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT