ADVERTISEMENT

Baseball Pitching

Mar 14, 2003
I really believe Iowa's pitching this year is the key to success. If they can keep up at their current pace it could be a very special year for Hawkeye baseball. With that being said, there will inevitable be the down pitching game. However, lets look at our stats three weeks in...

Overall our team ERA is 1.42 and teams are hitting .183 off of Iowa's staff.

Our weekend starters are all 1-0 with 1.20, 1.50, and 2.03 ERA's. They also have 15, 10, and 11 K's.

We have five guys who have thrown 20 2/3 innings with a 0.00 ERA

Connor Grant has the highest ERA with 4.50 and Ryan Erickson is the only other reliever with runs scored on him and holds a 1.29 ERA.

I do not recall an Iowa pitching staff that has looked this salty three weeks into the season. Time will tell if they can keep it up as we will face some tougher bats as the season goes on. However, you have to be encouraged by where they are at.

What a difference a year makes? Last year we struggled on the mound but murdered teams at the plate. So far this year we've seen the opposite results. I do hope warmer weather brings more offense to the squad.

This weekends games will be big from the standpoint that MTS is a veteran/experienced club. The BIG will be brutal this year! I think the success will depend on midweek games. If we can get starters to go deep on Wednesday that will save the pen heading into conference games, which could be key. Obviously the pitching is ahead of the hitters right now, but that should balance our as temps start to rise.

MTSU hits .301 as a team with six homeruns on the year, they have a few guys hitting over .400. So it will be a challenge for the pitching staff.

Hopefully our offense can do something this weekend, I noticed their team ERA is like 4.96.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT