ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Thoughts (Longwood and Long Thoughts)

scottty

HB All-American
Feb 3, 2003
This Iowa team is going to be exciting. Still not sure how they match up against better / taller more physical teams. But, really excited about versatility and depth. Wow the DEPTH of this team is insane. Few thoughts on individual players:

-Joe T: Stud. If he shoots 33-36% from 3 watch out. He is quicker / faster than everyone on the court by a significant margin and just sees things before others. Still a little erratic at times, but without turning the ball over last night. Looked good.

-P. Sandfort: Dude isn't afraid to shoot it. Has great size and a quick release on his 3. Probably the quickest release I can remember. If he keeps progressing he may be at a level similar to Joe W. His defense needs work, but I like this size. Weapon I wasn't expecting if he has this type of confidence and shooting memory.

-Kris Murray: Looked a little timid. But all the skills are there. Great lefty shot, super athletic on defense. Like to see ball handling improve. Rebounding is a strength. Can't wait to see him gain experience and continue to develop - because he's in inning 3/4 of his development (Keegan probably more like 5/6).

-Keegan: Stud. If he shoots anything close to 35% from 3 - he's off to the NBA next year. Incredible feel on defense. So many great qualities. But, his competitiveness and intensity are keys.

-Riley Mulvey: Work in progress. They say bigs make their largest jump from first year to second (and he's really a senior in HS). But, his passing looked great and his hustle. Could tell he was getting a little winded, so improving conditioning going-forward and being more assertive will be keys.

-Patrick McCaffery: I never know what to expect from him. We've seen so many different versions of him. But, if he can knock down the 3 at a reasonable rate, this team has potential to really surprise this year. Glad to see him using length on defensive end (theme of this team). He's super active on the floor and is like a Keegan 2.0 without the same amount of skill.

-Tony Perkins: Disappointed in his shot selection last night. Seems to be a "me" shot guy versus finding best "team" shot. Hopefully that changes. He just wanted to shoot almost every time he touched the ball and forced it. Maybe some jitters. Otherwise, find open teammates and using driving skills for benefit of team / teammates.

-A. Ulis: Very solid in everything he does. No glaring weaknesses. If he wants to take his game to the next level needs to finish at rim and continue to become a good shooter. Hard to say anything negative on his shot, other than he needs to be confident with it and assertive (see Payton's play above).

-J.Bo: Can't believe people didn't want him back. Y'all crazy. He's a sniper from 3. Defensive still below average and can be harmful. But offensively makes up for that (i.e., James Harden esque).

-Filip Rebraca: Played within himself and was a team player last night. Showed some nice touch. Defensively a little bit of a concern as we get closer to facing legit monsters. But, if we employ a double team he should be fine. Would rather see Josh O against monsters and let him get his 5 fouls.

-Josh O: Didn't play, was limping after the game. He will be important in conference play defensively.

-Ash: Not much to say. Same Ash, competitor and great teammate.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News