ADVERTISEMENT

bball helping or hurting fball?

HAWK-N-402 (4)

Scout Team
Feb 24, 2015
Does the success of the basketball team take some of the heat off the fball department, take it down a notch, or no impact in your opinion?

Football was creating heat on the basketball team. Hawkeye fans yearning for something resembling success since 2009. The football struggles and basketball collapse last year had people antsy.

I think this makes the casual fan a little less desperate. Football still rules the world though.

Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by HAWK-N-402 (4):
Agreed, the football staff isnt doing much to help themselves.
it's idiots on message boards and tweeter that hurt the football recruiting.

across the board just how many teams actually have successful FB and BB programs at the same time AT the Power 5 level

Kentucky rules the BB WORLD but they are mediocre at best in FB same with Alabama, Kansas has a very very good BB program but sucks at FB

inly the Idiots on this board feel they are owed both programs to be at the top in every sport. otherwise its FIRE Barta and its Fire every coach that does not win Championships like they feel they deserve.

Originally posted by Hawkeye2222:

across the board just how many teams actually have successful FB and BB programs at the same time AT the Power 5 level

Kentucky rules the BB WORLD but they are mediocre at best in FB same with Alabama, Kansas has a very very good BB program but sucks at FB

inly the Idiots on this board feel they are owed both programs to be at the top in every sport. otherwise its FIRE Barta and its Fire every coach that does not win Championships like they feel they deserve.
Michigan St, Ohio St, Wisconsin, Oklahoma, West Virginia, Oklahoma St, Texas, Baylor, Arkansas, Ole Miss, Georgia, LSU, Louisville, Notre Dame, Duke, UCLA, Oregon, Utah, Arizona, Florida, Michigan. Just a few programs that have been fairly steady at basketball and Football over the years.

Originally posted by cidhawkeye:
Auger, how dare you use facts in discussions like this! And what exactly is tweeter?
Facts? You and Augie need to do some research on some of these schools, because some that you listed have been no more or even less successful culumatively than Iowa.
Remember, he said 'over time'....

Originally posted by MattFoleyHawk:

It's idiot kool aid drinkers like you that settle for mediocrity in Iowa athletics and life in general.

All you have to do is look at the Iowa football coaching staff's inability to adapt and/or adjust to the changes in college football over the past 6-7 years. As long as KF heads the program the team performance will continue to slide towards the bottom of the Big Ten. Iowa's basketball program is digging out of the Alford/Lickliter mess and continues to improve the football program is heading the opposite direction and will until KF and his staff are gone.

Originally posted by DanAug:
All you have to do is look at the Iowa football coaching staff's inability to adapt and/or adjust to the changes in college football over the past 6-7 years. As long as KF heads the program the team performance will continue to slide towards the bottom of the Big Ten. Iowa's basketball program is digging out of the Alford/Lickliter mess and continues to improve the football program is heading the opposite direction and will until KF and his staff are gone.
Who has 'adapted' and 'adjusted' well to these alleged changes? What 'changes' are you refering to? As far as I know, the rules have not changed much since the advent of the forward pass. Gimmicky offenses come and go son.
Whose 'model' should we follow?
Can you provide any 'evidence' of staff's said inablilty?
The power structure in football hasn't changed in 40 years, not an opinion, it's fact. Research before making frivolous judgements.
The same teams that were on 'top' and the top recruiters, in the 70's are still the top teams now. Some of the 'also rans' challenge the top tier occassionally, but that cycles.
Can this staff do better? Maybe/Probably. But I assure you that you don't have any answers. You probably wouldn't even understand the questions. It's complicated, son.
We were towards the 'bottom' of the big ten last year? In what regards? Not wins and losses. Not statistically. Not attendence wise. Besides KF's first two years, when have they ever been towards the bottom? Your definition of 'slide' is not shared by the VAST majority of Iowa supporters.
I understand a LITTLE BIT of disappointment with last year, but do you really believe YOU are more disappointed than the players? The coaches? The players have 'sucked it up' and are working hard towards this year. They, and most people, are far more resilient than you appear to be.
Football's a fickle game, my friend. Unless you can find a team that will always be a 'sure thing', I suggest you learn to 'let things go' a little better and leave the football team to the knowledgeable.
Unsafisfied with the product. Speak with your wallet or find another team. That's the American way. When did Americans become nothing but a bunch of snivelers.
I love how 'fans' with absolutely no clue, come on here and make uninformed, vague, judgements on issues they don't even have enough information on to even understand.
And trust me, you don't have an inkling on where to even start on how to run a Div1 football program and what it takes to be a competative at this level. NONE, ZERO, ZILCH, NADA......

Matty, could you please explain what you mean again. Need a little more detail, so I can understand what you mean.

Mr. Expert if you think the Iowa football program is trending upward that is your opinion. Kirk's record speaks for itself the last five years: 2-3 against the mighty Cyclones, 19-21 in the Big Ten, and 1-4 versus Nebraska. By the way I have been an Iowa fan since 1953 and have followed them through thick and thin I don't jump the ship but I'm also a realist. We'll see How KF turns it around the next three years of his top ten salary contract I hope they are least 5-3 annually in the Big Ten and get to one of the Big Ten's top tier bowl games on a regular basis. Hopefully they can beat ISU annually and at least break even with the likes of Nebraska and Northwestern and re-fill Kinnick.

No I don't run a Division 1 program but I'm not paid to do so but I do see the results.

Alabama had a good run in bball a few years ago - but speaking of Alabama and their BBall program:

Alabama athletic department officials are ready to make an offer amounting to more than $3 million to current Wichita State coach Gregg Marshall, according to Gary Parrish of CBSSports.com.

Crimson Tide officials aim to make a hire to replace former coach Anthony Grant and to match Auburn's signing of coach Bruce Pearl last spring, Parrish reports.

A source told Parrish that Alabama hoped to attract the Shockers' coach with "piles of money, an athletic department with a culture of winning and every possible resource he needs to compete with anybody on a national level."

Have you always been this stupid or did you have to work at it over the years?

Originally posted by DanAug:
Mr. Expert if you think the Iowa football program is trending upward that is your opinion. Kirk's record speaks for itself the last five years: 2-3 against the mighty Cyclones, 19-21 in the Big Ten, and 1-4 versus Nebraska. By the way I have been an Iowa fan since 1953 and have followed them through thick and thin I don't jump the ship but I'm also a realist. We'll see How KF turns it around the next three years of his top ten salary contract I hope they are least 5-3 annually in the Big Ten and get to one of the Big Ten's top tier bowl games on a regular basis. Hopefully they can beat ISU annually and at least break even with the likes of Nebraska and Northwestern and re-fill Kinnick.

No I don't run a Division 1 program but I'm not paid to do so but I do see the results.

Show me where I said the program is trending 'upwards'? I'll wait. Hmmm...couldn't find it, could you?
But it's not trending 'downwards' either. 16 of the last 30 loses were by 7 points or less, so the only 'trend' is that they have been losing the close games that they were able to win when things were supposedly 'good', according to the so called fans. Look it up (last play win vs. Mich.. St. etc). KF's system lends itself to ball control offense and 'bend but don't break' defense (you know that) which has served him well with the type of recruits he is able to get at Iowa. But, this style results in a vast amount of close games, that through 'execution' and discipline in all facits they were able to win a majority of the time.
Win even half of those 16 games, and we're not even having this discussion. And those close games CAN come down to one play where an assignment was blown.
Yes, I know, this door swings both ways and a bunch of their close wins may have come down to one play, but this is Iowa's style and if you don't like it, that is a whole different discussion, but I don't believe ANY coach can come into Iowa and get the recruits to run anything else.....
KF has admitted that he has spent to much time 'away from the building' and believe he realizes that a bunch of the 'little things' that have made him successful have been neglected, thus his renewed commitment: Less fundraising-More 'Film'. I think you will see a difference, but be prepared, because there is always going to be a bunch of close games...

P.S. - Recruiting has not necessarily been trending 'downwards' either, but attrition HAD been trending 'upwards' (especially at RB) until the last 2 years and it's had an impact. KF has made changes in the way they recruit, especially with the new RC, and getting more offers out and earlier. I believe we'll see some improvement in the next couple yrs., but I don't care who the coach is, they are not going to get all 4 and 5 star athletes to Iowa unless they are from here, or have some affiliation to the program (brother, dad, etc...), period, so get over it!

Originally posted by pocha444444:

It's a fact. Do a little research, and something that some of us like to call 'thinking'.

Originally posted by pocha444444:

Keep in mind that Matty is in his 50's. Yes, he's not just an adult, he's grandpa age. This is one of our elders here folks.

"success" is an interesting term that can be defined differently according to the person. I would argue football and basketball are at about the same level right now. I think next football season will be very good. I am not sure about next basketball season. I think we could be good offensively with better floor spacing, but we could be very thin in the post and a sprained ankle away from being in trouble. I think if healthy, we will be solid.

The year was 1986. The Iowa football team was playing in the Rose Bowl. The wrestling team won its 9th consecutive NCAA title in record breaking fashion. The Iowa women's bb team made its first ever appearance in the NCAA tournament. In the fall of '86, the field hockey team won a NCAA championship. The men's basketball team gets off to a flying start, enroute to being ranked #1.

If one sport hurts another, then someone isn't doing something right.

Originally posted by swagsurfer02:

Sorry it's my fault that we keep losing to ISU.

Hey, you were playing out of position. You'll get 'em next year. I'm counting on you.

Originally posted by dawgs_04:
Football was creating heat on the basketball team. Hawkeye fans yearning for something resembling success since 2009. The football struggles and basketball collapse last year had people antsy.

I think this makes the casual fan a little less desperate. Football still rules the world though.

Preach!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT