ADVERTISEMENT

BBQ chains that are actually good?

Went to Oklahoma Joes yesterday in Aksarben (Omaha). Wasn't anything to write home about but the fried okra and sweet potato fries were delicious.

Reactions: kkhawk
Went to Oklahoma Joes yesterday in Aksarben (Omaha). Wasn't anything to write home about but the fried okra and sweet potato fries were delicious.
Been that way a lot recently. Was told it’s not very good

Love the food court across the street though

Reactions: Cougar63
Have been to Joe's in KC, George's in OKC, Tyler's in Amarillo, Hard Eight in Coppell and Hutchin's in McKinney this year. All amazing. God I love bbq /csb

There is a chain that started in Orlando (Winter Park) that is pretty good. It is nowhere near as good as it was when it was just a catering operation but it is still above average for a chain.

There is a chain that started in Orlando (Winter Park) that is pretty good. It is nowhere near as good as it was when it was just a catering operation but it is still above average for a chain.

Agreed, as mentioned in post # 10.

Reactions: TC Nole OX
Agreed, as mentioned in post # 10.

The founder is friends with one of my fraternity bros. 4Rivers catered our tailgate for our bowl game in Orlando vs Wisconsin. I think that was 2009 or 2010. That was some of the best bbq I have ever had. When it was just one location, in Winter Park it was close to as good as the tailgate catering. When they opened in Tampa, years later, it really wasn't close. It's still a lot better than most places but nothing like it was originally.

Last edited:
Sonny’s is an older chain that is OK, depending on the specific location.

how dare you picard GIF

Sonny and Lucille Tillman
This endowment was provided by the friends and associates of lifelong Gator fans Floyd “Sonny” Tillman and his wife, Lucille.

The only good thing about Sonny's is they provide jobs for UF grads so they do not matriculate to the street..
stupid f*****g gators.

• Love
Reactions: DFSNOLE
how dare you picard GIF

Sonny and Lucille Tillman
This endowment was provided by the friends and associates of lifelong Gator fans Floyd “Sonny” Tillman and his wife, Lucille.

The only good thing about Sonny's is they provide jobs for UF grads so they do not matriculate to the street..
stupid f*****g gators.
Well, obviously I withdraw any version of positivity about the gate influenced, vomit inducing, caca peddling den of inequity known as sonny boyz…

Reactions: NoleinATL
BBQ snobs in Texas look down their noses at Rudy’s, but I think it’s solid. Their smoked turkey breast never disappoints and is as good as I’ve found. Brisket varies from very good to okay. Spare ribs are okay.

Reactions: kkhawk and Bro D
BBQ snobs in Texas look down their noses at Rudy’s, but I think it’s solid. Their smoked turkey breast never disappoints and is as good as I’ve found. Brisket varies from very good to okay. Spare ribs are okay.
As far as Texas chains go, it’s better than Dickies…which isn’t really saying much. On the other hand, there are several non-chain bbq spots that are light years better where I live. If people look down on Rudy’s, it’s probably because they can go a few blocks north, south, east, or west to find better ‘cue.

Reactions: Bro D
Hard to find a good chain BBQ in Iowa. The one chain I haven't tried yet is Mission BBQ, but the best in the QC are or were single location restaurants. Haven't ate at Jim's Rib Haven in probably a decade, used to be decent. Smokin' Butt BBQ in NW Davenport is good but has very limited days and hours. Really limited restaurant wise for BBQ. Probably in part because the best BBQ I've had has been done in various backyards, mostly with good 'ol barrel smokers or smoker grills.

Reactions: Tom Paris
Memphis edition
Corkys is actually ok for a Memphis “chain”
Rendezvous is an experience - but meh. Their bbq sauce in stores is actually good? The spicey version is best
Central BBQ kinda sucks now

Reactions: DFSNOLE
As far as Texas chains go, it’s better than Dickies…which isn’t really saying much. On the other hand, there are several non-chain bbq spots that are light years better where I live. If people look down on Rudy’s, it’s probably because they can go a few blocks north, south, east, or west to find better ‘cue.
It’s far better than Dickies. And there’s a small handful of neighborhoods in the state of Texas where you can go “a few blocks in any direction” and find better BBQ than Rudy’s. Rudy’s isn’t outstanding, but the food is often on par with some the popular establishments and I’ll use Salt Lick as one, for an example.

I had some pretty good feeds at https://www.4rsmokehouse.com/ while on work trips several years back.
Sonny’s is an older chain that is gator influenced, therefore avoid at your peril.
Edited.
Sonny Tilman is from Alachua County. I went to school with his niece. His daughter took an old Sonny's location and opened her own restaurant - Diane's Old Time BBQ. I don't eat meat, but I hear it's pretty decent.

Sugarfire is solid here in the Lou for chains.

Probably not a true chain, but Pappy’s and its spin off Bogart’s are both top notch.

Reactions: SL Hawk Fan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT