ADVERTISEMENT

BBQ chains that are actually good?

That Smoky Ds or whatever it's called in Des Moines was pretty good.
Ate there Friday. Ribs, jalepeno corn, and slaw made a satisfying meal.

For BBQ I'll take D over Jethro everytime......and that was even before learning the Jethro owner is a nut.

There is better Q out there than D but it is very good, handy, and normally quick.

Last edited:
Reactions: billanole
Finding any kind of consensus grading BBQ is impossible. Strictly independent and various person to person.
Az I age, BBQ loses favor with me…..just too tough in my gut now. I imbibe 2-3 times vs a year… my favorite is Jethro’s….every once and awhile, they offer a rack of ribs for 1/2 price “on-line”… but I guarantee you, as I mentioned “Jethro’s” many here are turning their noses up and calling me “crazy”…I have tried “Famous Dave’s” locally and I will never darken their doorway again….and Smokey D’s was “ok” but the few times I gave been there, what has impressed me the most is how “dirty” the joint appeared..

Finding any kind of consensus grading BBQ is impossible. Strictly independent and various person to person.
Az I age, BBQ loses favor with me…..just too tough in my gut now. I imbibe 2-3 times vs a year… my favorite is Jethro’s….every once and awhile, they offer a rack of ribs for 1/2 price “on-line”… but I guarantee you, as I mentioned “Jethro’s” many here are turning their noses up and calling me “crazy”…I have tried “Famous Dave’s” locally and I will never darken their doorway again….and Smokey D’s was “ok” but the few times I gave been there, what has impressed me the most is how “dirty” the joint appeared..
I'll give Jethro's credit for a diverse menu. Most BBQ places offer BBQ and thats all...take it or leave it. Jethros has many other food options for those in the group who desire something else.

Ate there Friday. Ribs, jalepeno corn, and slaw made a satisfying meal.

For BBQ I'll take D over Jethro everytime......and that was even before learning the Jethro owner is a nut.

There is better Q out there than D but it is very good, handy, and normally quick.
Try Whatcha Smokin in Luther.

Try Whatcha Smokin in Luther.
I have....its tops (one of the places I consider better than Ds) and lives up to the honor it recently received as best BBQ in Iowa.

Cant drive from DSM to Luther every time I want BBQ....plus it makes it more special getting the best by not being able to go there all the time.

Last edited:
Is Terry Blacks a chain now? Loved that place when it first opened in Austin near the pitch and putt course. No lines and might have been the best BBQ in Austin at the time. I recall some hippies were trying to get them shut down because they were putting off too much smoke.
Austin Dallas, Waco, and Lockhart....I've only been to the one in Lockhart. It was awesome !!

Reactions: Hawgk
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT