ADVERTISEMENT

Be prepared for jets of urine from cicadas this Summer

giphy.gif

Someone smarter than me, tell me what useful purpose to the ecosystem to cicadas provide? Usually most things serve a purpose in some way.

I hear this same thing every year. That's it's a 17 year cicada hatch...again.
And, I never notice anything different.

Reactions: Moral
Double hatching this year, Bro. The first time since 1803 that it's happened. You've been warned.

Reactions: Moral
DIdn't know your Masters Degree in screwing over people was that wide of knowledge

That is like saying worms only purpose is to feed birds.

Now, worms do wonderful things for soil that benefits plants greatly.

And now that you mention that, these cicada grubs living in the ground for 17 years might have a benefit to the soil as well.

Reactions: Jimmy McGill
  • Haha
Reactions: lucas80
It seems, that from the first time I heard about them, it's an every year thing.
There is a difference between periodical cicadas and the annual cicadas.

The latter are known as "harvest flies;" you might not ever see them and only hear them at night starting mid-late summer; many consider it a pleasant night sound.

The former are broods that emerge every 13-17 years in different parts of the country, and when they do it is a biblical-type plague in which the little suckers can produce deafening noise all day.

I find the noise they make to be soothing. Great for a summer afternoon nap in the hammock.
There are no periodical cicadas in Florida. The pleasant noise you hear comes from annual cicadas.

The OP is referring to the largest emergence of periodical cicadas in North America in over 200 years, due to one of the largest 13-year and one of the largest 17-year broods emerging the same year (late April or early May, mostly in Iowa-Illinois-Missouri). There is absolutely nothing pleasant about their noise.

Well, I certainly noticed a few years back - in the heavily wooded portions of Jester Park they were deafening.

If you live in a sparsely wooded area you're not going to notice them as much.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT